Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Testing the Autopilot Function - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Tesla

Testing the Autopilot Function - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

I finally got a chance to take our long-term 2016 Tesla Model X home for a night. My 20-mile commute consists of 19 miles through Los Angeles traffic along Interstate 10, west in the morning, east at night. As terrible as that 80-minute one-way drive may be, it's given me plenty of time to try various new and interesting tech. For the Model X, this meant trying Tesla's Autopilot system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2016
    While the insight on the Tesla's autopilot functions are nice, I was stuck on the "80 minute, 20 mile commute" bit. My 17 mile commute takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic, and 90 minutes will take me from where I'm living to my parent's place 100 miles away.
    In summary: I'd go insane if I had to drive in LA everyday.
  • Options
    tom_in_mntom_in_mn Member Posts: 61
    My 15 mile commute has taken 90+ minutes,. But that was in the middle of a snowstorm. I agree that is a crazy commute. No wonder people want self driving cars, you get back several hours of your day.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2016
    You can live in L.A. and not have an insane commute -- just live closer to where you work. The insane commute is a lifestyle choice made by people who insist on being homeowners, which at the median salary means living well outside the city. Maybe there are advantages to being a homeowner, but living with a soul-sucking commute is an unacceptable compromise for me.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

You can live in L.A. and not have an insane commute -- just live closer to where you work. The insane commute is a lifestyle choice made by people who insist on being homeowners, which at the median salary means living well outside the city. Maybe there are advantages to being a homeowner, but living with a soul-sucking commute is an unacceptable compromise for me.

Unfortunately, if you live in LA at the median salary, your housing isn't anything to brag about whether you rent or own, but yes...you can avoid the horrible commute more easily by renting.

I work with a nice young woman of 27, who is living in the modest but sound 1500-square-foot starter home she bought when she was 24, for about $70k. She makes about $55k a year. Yay, Buffalo-area housing costs, where even millenials can own their own homes.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Unfortunately, if you live in LA at the median salary, your housing isn't anything to brag about whether you rent or own, but yes...you can avoid the horrible commute more easily by renting.

I work with a nice young woman of 27, who is living in the modest but sound 1500-square-foot starter home she bought when she was 24, for about $70k. She makes about $55k a year. Yay, Buffalo-area housing costs, where even millenials can own their own homes.
    The problem is that if you have certain careers, you might have to live in certain metro areas, like LA or SF. My commute to the office can take up to 1 hour and it's 15 miles away from my home. But luckily I am able to work-from-home 3-4 days a week.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited June 2016
    From what I understand, when the display shows the vehicle in front in blue, no lane markings and ultrasonic sensors active it's following the vehicle in front and checking for cars on the side because it can't see lane markings. It will still work but you should take over and manually steer because it will go where ever the car in front goes..