Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda Civic - Cracked Windshield Saga

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Honda

2016 Honda Civic - Edmunds Road Test

"Hey Travis, here are the keys to the Civic. I cracked the windshield, hope you don't mind. See ya later!" That might not be exactly what Editor Brent Romans said when he and I swapped cars last week, but it's pretty much how I remember it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    It seems like Edmunds should invest in a glass company. Do y'all run an office pool to see when a windshield will get cracked and who does it?
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    I am 59 years old and have been driving since I was 16. I drive about 15,000-18,000 miles per year. I have replaced exactly one windshield on any car I own in that time.

This windshield is not available and you are going to wait and wait. And I would not accept the Safelite one.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    This seems like poor planning on the part of Honda. This is a volume model, there is no good excuse for replacement windshields not to be relatively easy to get (within a week let's say) from day 1.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    At least it's just the windshield and not a shortage of something critical, like a Takata airbag. No problem finding those either, right?
  • craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51

This seems like poor planning on the part of Honda. This is a volume model, there is no good excuse for replacement windshields not to be relatively easy to get (within a week let's say) from day 1.

Unless the windshield supplier's factory was damaged in that recent earthquake and most available product is going to the assembly line. There are a number of shortages in various industries as a result of that event.
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    The pleasure of driving on a California highway where cement and gravel trucks lose half their load on the way to their destination. I usually go through one windshield a year, but I insist on OEM glass installed by the installer that replaces windshields for the dealer. With so much stuff attached to the windshield like rain sensors, it's not as simple as it used to be. Plus, if I go with the dealer installer, they are used to the equipment my car has. I've had too many dealings with a safelite installer getting adhesive all over the place to where it looked like a model airplane I glued together when I was 6.
  • dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    Why not just wait and get the factory glass, since it was quoted as being cheaper? It's not like the crack is impairing the driver's vision, and since it will need to be replaced anyway it doesn't matter if it gets worse.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Why don't you guys just call your insurance company and let them take care of it? If I have a cracked windshield, I go on my insurance company app on my phone and a couple of days later the new windshield is installed at home or work -- no fuss no muss. I think it cost $50.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    In terms of Insurance, it depends a lot on your state. I have no idea about California, but Georgia/Tennessee for instance, have ZERO glass coverage, so you'll filing a full insurance claim (heck you have to start a claim just to get a freaking price!) with the full $500-$1,000 deductible, plus who knows what raises in the future. In Florida, I believe, its zero deductible by law.

Either way, go OEM. There's no way I'd pay $850 for anything less. Place the order and wait. Maybe you can make do in the meantime.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    @miata52, I'm pretty sure Edmunds self-insures their cars. That means they pay for everything. It makes sense because they usually have so many cars in their fleet and all the drivers are considered professionals. I can only think of one accident where they were at-fault. I think the husband of an editor swerved and nailed a tree.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    What's with all the rocks on those California streets?
    What a hassle!!
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    edited June 2016
    reminder said:

What's with all the rocks on those California streets?
    What a hassle!!

The Safelite Company pays for them to be dropped off on the road. Also, they're convenient for rioters.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited June 2016
    i have had two of the off brands windshields installed by safelite and could not tell the difference from the OE glass other than the markings. i am quite sure there is a difference, just not discernible by me.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    In Colorado you can drive around with a cracked windshield indefinitely, but in my state your vehicle will fail inspection if it isn't repaired.
    Weird, but true.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    In Kentucky there is no deductible for glass if you have Comprehensive coverage. My 2 Series wound up with a cracked windshield and I had it replaced at my BMW dealer. My insurance company shunts all their glass claims to Safelite but I preferred to go with my dealer. The "Safelite handles our glass claims." business ticks me off, as Safelite has a vested interest in having their shops do the work- and I had heard enough stories about the local shops that I didn't want them touching my car. The final bill was $922; now I'm waiting to see if Safelite covers it 100% or whether they are going to play games.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive