Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Installing the Sunshade - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Tesla
Installing the Sunshade - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2016 Tesla Model X has a giant windshield, which means sun exposure in the front seat can be pretty brutal. As a result, Tesla handed out a few sunshades.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Yech; that's hokey. Tesla shouldn't have rushed this solution out the door.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    I wonder how folks in Phoenix, Dallas, etc. are going to like baking, even with that (partial) sunshade.
  • Options
    bnovidabnovida Member Posts: 12
    That's ghetto!
  • Options
    jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    Don't know why (other than the gullwing doors) why they couldn't have had a roll out cover on this to fix the problem? They could have made it mesh too. That's how VW is doing it now on their larger panoramic roof cars.
  • Options
    mojo_mikemojo_mike Member Posts: 11
    Piss poor band-aid to piss poor windshield design.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Tesla just let too many aspects of this car move forward without a proper cost/benefit analysis. There may be some advantages to the expansive windshield. Same with the falcon wing doors. But each of these seem to have enough negatives to outweigh those advantages. The design engineers seem to have lost their way a little bit (or were overruled by someone at the top).
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Mesh sunshades are a major fail in sunny climes. I've walked away from buying a Cadillac CTS and a Mercedes E-Class because I know they don't work here in Vegas.
  • Options
    lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    Agree with above, mesh sunshades are garbage in south climates.

We had a Audi Q7 with the panoramic sunshade here in South Florida, my wife got rid of the car after 8 months.

As for the Tesla MX, the car is chock full of ideas that should never have made it to production. This is why show cars are awesome and production cars are not. Because in the real world, those awesome show car designs are functionally terrible ideas.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I think people are being too harsh on the Tesla. After all, it is The Car of the Future, Now.
    Which is where they got the big windshield idea from.

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/homer_15.jpg