Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Fuel Economy Update for May - Holding Steady - 2015 Kia Sedona

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Kia
Fuel Economy Update for May - Holding Steady, but Our Odyssey and Sienna Were Better - 2015 Kia Sedona SX-L Long-Term Road Test

Fuel economy for our 2015 Kia Sedona continues to hold at 18.1 mpg lifetime. Our Odyssey and Sienna minivans were better.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    What I'm realizing is that the 19 MPG in our Pilot is getting expensive especially when you compare it with our new 16 Civic which will get 42 MPG on the highway. I COMPLETELY understand the appeal of a bigger vehicle with DVD player and plenty of room, but you may want to do the math before throwing down $42k.... wait, $42k? Oh man. Buy a Sedan and make it work for half the cost.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    My wife drives a 2010 Odyssey LX (no VCM on this model) and we've averaged 20.1 MPG hand-calculated. The van is rated for 16 City/23 Highway/18 Combined. I'm happy to be averaging 20.1 considering we do probably 65% city with it, if not more.

All that to be said, I'll keep this van until it dies. Then I'll hopefully find her something a little more fuel-efficient.
  • Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    The Sienna has an old 3.5L port-injected engine. Not only does the Sienna get better fuel economy, it should be more reliable with no intake valve carbon buildup that comes with many direct-inject engines.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    You gotta compare 2016 Odysseys and Siennas to the Kia. Not vans that you had 5 yrs ago. Maybe the Kia is heavier due to mandatory safety equipment and whatever was checked on the options sheet? Maybe the Kia has a more powerful motor? I'm not defending it, it just isn't useful to say a van that you can no longer buy new gets better mpgs.
    Do a comparo review of the current minivans.
  • Options
    sigarmssigarms Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2015 Sedona SX-L 16 months and would do it over again. A 3 MPG difference is a small compromise considering the style, performance, comfort, features, and reliability I get with the Sedona.
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 5
    sigarms said:

I bought my 2015 Sedona SX-L 16 months and would do it over again. A 3 MPG difference is a small compromise considering the style, performance, comfort, features, and reliability I get with the Sedona.

Totally agree. We traded a '15 Odyssey for our '16 Sedona SX 8px tech w/dvd. After driving everything, including the Pacifica, this thing was hands-down the nicest. We passed it up last time because I had ill-conceived notions that Kias were still crapcans. Boy was I wrong.
  • Options
    ingram1225ingram1225 Member Posts: 5
    yellowbal said:

The Sienna has an old 3.5L port-injected engine. Not only does the Sienna get better fuel economy, it should be more reliable with no intake valve carbon buildup that comes with many direct-inject engines.

Except you will be replacing the external dual pulley water pump around 60-90K with that old 3.5L chain driven engine. And reliability? check out the recalls on the 2015-2016 Siennas. More than a 2015-2016 T&C. No joke.
  • Options
    ingram1225ingram1225 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2016
    yellowbal said:

Totally agree. We traded a '15 Odyssey for our '16 Sedona SX 8px tech w/dvd. After driving everything, including the Pacifica, this thing was hands-down the nicest. We passed it up last time because I had ill-conceived notions that Kias were still crapcans. Boy was I wrong.

why did you not want the Pacifica? Curious as the Sedona and Pacifica are my top two choices right now.
  • Options
    Passion0217Passion0217 Member Posts: 1
    This fuel comparision was misleading. The sxl trim is rated 17/22, the one you were testing. If you want to compare MPG, use any other trims, which are rated at 18/24 (or 25). If that is the case, the MPG is similar to Toyota's.