Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cracked Windshield Saga Part 2 - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Honda

imageCracked Windshield Saga Part 2 - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Replacing a windshield is normally a pretty simple process, but with our long-term 2016 Honda Civic, it has become extremely difficult.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    What a nightmare!
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    so this is saving you what vs going to the delaer?
  • Options
    tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    @opfreak - it's not saving us or costing us any difference -- the dealer's still don't have the glass. I've called 3 local honda dealers and they still say it's on backorder.
  • Options
    f1o3x7f1o3x7 Member Posts: 2
    i'm surprised that Safelite is able to get what appears to be the OEM windshield before the honda dealers can...
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    That's insane. So, to clarify, the difficulty is because the car has the Sensing package?
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Just another example of "Customer No Service". I understand that parts availability is an issue with totally new designs, but it always comes down to attention to detail. Too many humans in the chain.
    Pain in the neck for certain.
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Man, if it's this difficult to replace the windshield, you guys should take a sledgehammer to the body panels and see if they're difficult to source as well lol.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited June 2016

That's insane. So, to clarify, the difficulty is because the car has the Sensing package?

Yes the glass is different because of the camera location. Normal tinting obscures the view for the camera not to mention possible distortion issues that can occur just because of any possible thickness variation. Get used to this, with all of the new emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and lane assist systems are going to require lot's of things that were not needed before.

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    three days later, "sorry, the windshield we had for you was used for another car. it will be three weeks to get another."
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    This story makes me doubly glad I cancelled an appointment with Safelite and had my BMW dealer replace the windshield in my 2 Series. Safelite even picked up the entire cost.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    The Honda glass that Safelite had came from somewhere. It could be that Honda is in such a short supply that they keep going on back order but if you'd ordered it they would have gotten it by then. Have your Honda dealer bump it up to a CBO from an Urgent order.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The windshield is in short supply because Honda is selling the new Civic as fast as the factory can crank them out. Hard to have spare parts when you don't have enough for production. Safelite can get Honda glass quickly because they can do a nation wide search of Honda dealers and have the glass sent to the location needed. The editor only checked 3 local dealers.
  • Options
    ksmoksmo Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2016
    hank39 said:

What a nightmare!

A nightmare would something like, oh, being stranded 3 times in 4 weeks by your new car, and the dealership being unable to replicate the problem. Or, for instance, being unable to drive the car at all for a few weeks due to a critical part being unavailable to repair it--and no loaner car.

Having to live with a crack in the glass for a while is an inconvenience, but hardly the end of the world. The long term test car has Honda Sensing, which the vast majority of new Civics do not have and which necessitates a unique windshield. Unfortunately, Honda seems to have a supply problem with this specific glass currently. This stinks, and I wouldn't be excited about it if it were my car. At the same time, when you buy a brand new model (of any car from any manufacturer) that has a relatively uncommon option, things like this happen early in the production run of a high demand product. A year from now, this will be a non issue. Annoying in the near term, though.

Dealer estimated 2-4 weeks backorder. Just order the thing and 3 weeks later you are all set. 3 weeks with a cracked windshield is a first world problem.