Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Using the Trailer Hitch To Haul Bicycles - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Tesla
Using the Trailer Hitch To Haul Bicycles - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

The trailer hitch fitted to the 2016 Tesla Model X is a necessary piece of equipment for anyone that wants to haul things like bicycles, skis or snowboards.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    I'll have to say that roof-mounted racks would have reduced the range more significantly than the hitch mounted. Which is important for an EV. So I'm with Tesla here for not allowing for roof-mount (clearly because of doors). Otherwise one can expect the comments: why the range drops 30% if I haul bikes on the roof at 80 mph? Related question: was the range reduced ? Another question: for a $135,000 vehicle, I'm sure there are bike rack designs which swivel out of the way vs. complaining that 12-year old Yakima does not.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    How obstructed is the view of the number plate? That'll get you a chat with the local LEO crew in many jurisdictions.
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    boloti said:

I'll have to say that roof-mounted racks would have reduced the range more significantly than the hitch mounted. Which is important for an EV. So I'm with Tesla here for not allowing for roof-mount (clearly because of doors). ...

So why do they allow roof mounted racks on the Model S? It obviously is entirely because of the doors, and range wasn't the consideration. All of which goes to Dan's point that the Model S is the better utility vehicle (for everyone other than that very small segment of the population with little kids who are in car seats). Had Tesla put sliding side doors or regular doors on the Model X, it would have really been a useful utility vehicle. The gimmick rear doors turns it into a, well, gimmick.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2016

But in my view they should have stopped at 2,000 pounds (or less) and called it a day.

The car has a traction motor and can easily pull up to the 5000-lbs that they rated it at, which (I presume) is why they rated it at 5000 lbs. I don't think it's as mystifying as you make it out to be.

...actual towing may not have been the prime motivation

See, we're not disagreeing after all! As I've said previously, the car is physically capable of towing 5000 lbs, but I don't think Tesla expects or intends owners to do that a whole lot. Bike & luggage racks? Yeah, people are gonna need those with this car. The rating is gravy.