Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

'01 Town Car Air Suspension - Compressor Not Turning On

webhead85webhead85 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Lincoln
Hello!

My '01 Town Car rear air suspension gave out the other day. Dash Air Suspension light is on. There was no increase in the compressor turning on in the time leading up to the suspension going out, so it seems unlikely to me that the compressor burned out trying to deal with a leak in the air lines or the bags. The compressor does not activate or turn on at all at this point. Other than the compressor having failed, is there anything else I should be aware of that could cause the compressor to not activate? I know that it is getting power and the leads are good. It shouldn't take me more than a half hour to swap out the old compressor with a replacement from the auto store down the street, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I drop $270 on the replacement compressor.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    01lincoln01lincoln Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 continental with the same issue you can get that pump cheaper than 270...Orileys217...autozone215...napa198 good luck
  • Options
    nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    To check the operation of the compressor, run wires directly from the battery to the leads on the compressor. If it is okay, it will run like a 12 volt tire pump. If it has a problem, it will not run, run slowly or run a few seconds and quit.
  • Options
    01lincoln01lincoln Member Posts: 3
    I did that but pump won't fill up went under rear right wheel some plastic piece had popped loose so I snapped it back together still no response...Hellllllllp!!!!
  • Options
    nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Are you saying that the pump operated when you straight wired it, but the car still did not rise? If that is the case then there may be a leak in the tubing.