Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Having interior electical problems

pasadeanapasadeana Member Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Oldsmobile
After installing new stereo, all interior power gone. No interior lights, windows, door locks, seats, stereo, back hatch lock or air/ac. The truck starts and drives normal. Instrument panel/gauges work but the lights don't. We have checked the battery cables, Battery is only 8 mo.old and has power, and checked fuses. Can someone please help? Thank you, Deana

Comments

• Options
    We finally found the problem. It was the instrument panel battery located in fuse bock under the hood. Tried testing it with voltage meter but it was fine. Tested it with a test light and it was bad.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Are you referring to a fuse or an actual battery in the fuse box? I think some older BMWs had a "backup" battery (AAs?) for a while but this is a new one on me.

Thanks for the report.
  • Options
    Stever, It is a fuse on the outside of the fuse box. 125amp fuse. In the owners manual it is labeled as an instrument panel battery. I thought it was weird.
    ?????
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2016
    K, that makes sense. Well, it doesn't but you know what I mean. :)

I had a lousy '74 Volvo that was always breaking the plastic bellows that made the fuel injection system work. I had the factory manual and Volvo called it a rubber bellows (but if it had been rubber, it never would have cracked).

So I'd always go to the parts department and ask for a rubber bellows and they'd always say "you mean plastic bellows". Then I'd pull out my manual and get to enjoy my rant about technical "writers". :D