Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Almost 50 MPG on the Highway - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2017 in Honda
Almost 50 MPG on the Highway - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2016 Honda Civic may be one of the fastest cars in the class, but it's also one of the most economical. That's how we were able to squeak nearly 50 mpg out of it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Now measure it going the opposite way and average the two numbers.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    vvk said:

Now measure it going the opposite way and average the two numbers.

^^ This. I have taken many small rental cars North from Vegas where you climb 4000' or more and the gas mileage blows. I am lucky to get 30 mpg cruising on US-95. The returns trips often exceed 40 mpg.
  • ksmoksmo Member Posts: 11
    My wife reports an average of 40.5 mpg from her Civic EX-T. Most of her driving is highway commute across the city, but she drives at the most congested times of day with frequent stop and go due to heavy traffic. Not bad.
  • drex2drex2 Member Posts: 24
    Well, at least we shouldn't see too many more of the "yet another turbocharged 4 cylinder that doesn't deliver on mileage claims" comments. As many owners have reported, we're routinely seeing full tank mpg results that equal or beat the EPA combined estimates and highway mileage in the 40s. As the man said above, that's amazing mileage for a car that does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Impressive. The magic is in the programming of the fuel injection system for lean burning and the design of the combustion chamber (CVT gets credit too). Honda has a history for making lean burning engines (Civic VX, Civic HX and the CVCC engine) for maximum fuel efficiency. Direct Injection, however, allows them to make a performance engine that can also lean burn when necessary. VW and BMW have been doing this for years now with their DI engines. BMW's 3.0 turbo I6 can easily surpass it's EPA numbers on the highway.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I'm definitely "seeing the light" in terms of MPG and Turbos. Amazing how you can get a 6.7 second time from a 1.5 liter engine and 46+ MPG on the highway.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Who drives 72 MPH when the speed limit is 70? Either your a slow poke or law breaker! LOL.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" - George Cariln
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    Fuelly.com is showing a few - perhaps hypermilers? - getting outrageously impressive highway fuel numbers............
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    The 2017 1.5/6M Honda Hatch - from what I see here, on Fuelly.com and even CU - is very well qualified to replace my much maligned VW diesel wagon. I am impressed the positive engineering in other areas. 0 - 60, the light clutch and the snick-snick transmission.