Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Remote Start Helps Cool You Off for the Summer - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in Honda
imageRemote Start Helps Cool You Off for the Summer - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Remote engine start is a useful convenience feature on hot summer days or cold winter nights. It comes standard on most 2016 Honda Civics.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Remotely opening the windows is going to get you a more tolerable cabin within 30 seconds than turning on the A/C with all that heat trapped in the car. Even on recirc, that cabin is going to be hot for a long time. As soon as I get within range of my key fob, I drop all windows, and since I leave the sunroof tipped open, that heat leaves in a hurry. Yeah, we are talking getting the interior down from 140F to 100F...not to 72.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2016
    it is a nice feature to have for the winter. when i first met my wife she had remote start installed in a 2000 cherokee. remote start combined with a vehicle that warmed up faster than any vehicle i have ever seen made for a toasty warm cabin and melted snow/ice in 10 mins.

but, only single women need to purchase a remote start. marriage comes standard with a remote-starter: their husband.
  • Options
    brauchbrauch Member Posts: 19
    Actually, when looking to cool down a hot cabin as quickly as possible, one should run in fresh mode, not recirc. Better to push 100F air from outside across the evaporator, than 140F air from inside the cabin. Then, once the cabin temp seems below ambient, flip it into recirc.
  • Options
    hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    Over the years, I've heard some folks say that it's not good to start the car with the AC on due to the extra load it's putting on the car. Or has that changed with newer cars...or was that never really true? If it is true, does the Civic turn on first; and then the AC kicks on?
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I definitely DO enjoy the Remote Start feature, although I haven't used it as much as expected despite being in 95+ degree North GA heat. Why? I forget about it. The keyless system is so good that I never touch my keys otherwise. I walk away and the car locks itself, I come back and touch one of the front doors and it opens. I get it and push the Start Button. Amazingly convenient, especially when your hands are full.

Of course with such an efficient vehicle, the longer is sits there blowing AC, the lower your MPG numbers are going to be.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    hank39 said:

Over the years, I've heard some folks say that it's not good to start the car with the AC on due to the extra load it's putting on the car. Or has that changed with newer cars...or was that never really true? If it is true, does the Civic turn on first; and then the AC kicks on?

Came in here to post exactly this. It's something I heard back when I was first learning to drive, and so to this day I reflexively turn off climate control (in summer or winter) before shutting off the engine. I've long suspected that it's not necessary on modern cars, but old habits die hard!
  • Options
    03hondaaccord03hondaaccord Member Posts: 18
    @Hank39 On the topic of extra load upon startup, I've noticed my 2003 Accord delays the start of the compressor when initially starting. You can hear it engage 3 or 4 seconds after crank, that probably is enough time for the engine to get going.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited July 2016
    hank39 said:

The A/C clutch, like most of modern car systems, is controlled by a computer. Even "manual" systems. When you start your car, even when the A/C is on, the compressor will not engage until after the engine is started. If you have detailed OBD2 scan equipment you will see A/C compressor on/off as a parameter the computer monitors. This is also why it's advisable to always have the A/C turned on even in the winter. It helps keep your windows from fogging, keeps oil circulating and the computer prevents the compressor from turning on if temperature is to low. However even in really cold temperatures it can engage for short periods of time without damage in certain conditions. This is why automatic systems always have the A/C on year round.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    What is the range of the remote start? How long do you wait outside of car to cool off given that you have to be in the line of sight with the car to remotely turn it on?
  • Options
    adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    wow what a huge ugly ugly ugly key fob.
  • Options
    lyndeanlyndean Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2016
    adantium said:

What an amazingly stupid thing to complain about. First of all, the fob isn't "huge", maybe looks that way due to the perspective of the photo. It's about 2 1/2 inches tall and 1 1/4 inches wide. Definitely not "huge" compared to other push button start key fobs. Kind of ironic since, don't you drive a Mustang? I guarantee it's smaller than the Mustang key fob.

As far as saying it's ugly, who cares? I've never based a car purchase decision on whether the key fob is ugly or not. I actually think it's nice looking, especially the back.
  • Options
    adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2016
    lyndean said:

adantium said:

What an amazingly stupid thing to complain about. First of all, the fob isn't "huge", maybe looks that way due to the perspective of the photo. It's about 2 1/2 inches tall and 1 1/4 inches wide. Definitely not "huge" compared to other push button start key fobs. Kind of ironic since, don't you drive a Mustang? I guarantee it's smaller than the Mustang key fob.

As far as saying it's ugly, who cares? I've never based a car purchase decision on whether the key fob is ugly or not. I actually think it's nice looking, especially the back.
    Hey how about not calling people names or being a bully. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Here's my mustang key. yeah it's sexy and practical too. It opens up for a metal key hidden inside when you want to swim in the water you can take it in the ocean with you no problem.

http://fkmedia.transponderislan.netdna-cdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x650/efe05c0fd9cf23a3feaf2edad1280742/t/i/tik-for-59.jpg

Just because I hate the key doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a car. But it is ugly. Like wow they made such a slick car with great build quality but someone dropped the ball here.

Keep it civil people. This isn't your forum to junk people on their opinions.
  • Options
    coolcaferacercoolcaferacer Member Posts: 1
    That mustang fob is so ugly it's funny, is it supposed to represent a saddle? What's wrong with a fob looking like a fob?
  • Options
    drex2drex2 Member Posts: 24
    For me, the difference in viewpoint is that in my eyes, a key fob is simply a tool. I don't need it to be "fashionable" any more than I would need a designer screwdriver in my toolbox. Rather than being "ugly", the Civic's key fob has a utilitarian design, which fits its function perfectly. And the evolving design of the Civic (and many other cars) has added features which automate most of the key fob's functions, so you only need to have it with you, with little need to take it out of your pocket or purse except for remote starting.

If you want your key fob to make a fashion statement, that's your prerogative. I just believe that the average Civic owner doesn't put that much thought into such a simple tool.