Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Will the Luggage Fit? - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2016 in Kia

imageWill the Luggage Fit? - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

We load luggage into our 2016 Kia Optima in multiple configurations to answer the question. Will the luggage fit?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "The pass-through between compartments is nicely shaped to enhance usability." Seriously? That's a tiny pass-through considering this is not a hybrid, with a battery in there somewhere. I notice there are no photos illustrating the supposedly usable pass-through in actual use

Go take a look at the same blog post for the BMW 340i...THAT is a pass-through. And BMW manages to do it with the packaging challenges of an AWD powertrain that this FWD Kia does not have to address. I appreciate the uniform format of these luggage-capacity posts, but...you defeat the value of that uniformity if you don't actually point out where there are better and poorer performers.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599

"That's a tiny pass-through

Agreed. Honda has a similar problem where their wheel wells often intrude so much that the pass through width is tiny (e.g., the long term TSX wagon you had in the Edmunds fleet). If you folded down just the "40" portion of the rear seat it looks like you'd have less than a foot of width. Not great.

Also, the post notes the goose-neck hinges and the limitations they put on cargo. I've mentioned this a few other times and I'll do it again. About 10-15 years ago, goose-neck hinges were the kiss of death in auto reviews. They were called out in every review for the annoyance that they are. And I think car makers took note because more sophisticated (and expensive) hinges started to appear across the industry. But then something happened because goose-necks are back. They're appearing in new cars at all price points (although some luxury cars will surround them to protect cargo (reducing cargo volume even further). And auto journalists have mostly gone silent. Before this post I can't remember the last car review I've read that mentioned them. Just an observation.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I would like you guys to use a standard set of luggage (say like 10 pieces of the same size) and see how many can fit into each vehicle. Its always different and its tough to compare. My bet is that you could fit more luggage in the Kia rather than the Jeep.
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    You could put the Miata in there with room to spare.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The fancy strut hinges are superior but more expensive and struts eventually have to be replaced. They also require more effort to close the trunk. And since most people don't know or care about trunk hinges most have gone back to the tried and true goose necks that never wear out and cheaper to make. Now I just wish they would go back to the old school springs to hold up the hood.