Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

July Fuel Economy Update - Despite Road Trips, MPG Stays the Same - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Roa

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2016 in Toyota
imageJuly Fuel Economy Update - Despite Road Trips, MPG Stays the Same - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

Despite a few road trips, our 2016 Toyota Tacoma didn?t add many miles to its odometer in July. Overall fuel economy didn?t budge.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bohiobohio Member Posts: 59
    So, like the Ford F150, it's barely achieving the EPA listed "City" driving fuel economy -- 18 MPG -- despite nearly 12k miles of combined driving. Like Ford, a puzzling and unacceptable result to those of us who expect the EPA fuel economy figures to be meaningful and achievable. Add in a crummy driver's seat adjustability range, and drum brakes, and it seems that only Toyota diehards and "resale" value obsessed owners would be satisfied. I'm still pleased as punch with my RAM 1500, which achieved 26.9 MPG in its last tankful of diesel, in 'combined' driving. And the ride quality is best in class, which pays dividends every time we take a ride, or haul home piglets (AGH) as was the case last week. We stopped at Tractor Supply (in Rochester, NH) to get a few things, including a flexible water bowl that we filled up for the pigs to stay cool in the remaining 45 minutes home, through hills and dales, at speeds from 55-25 MPH, on paved and dirt roads. When we reached our house, their water bowl was still half full. Coil-over suspension benefit, for man and beast!
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    At least the F150 could tow and haul a lot, and was powerful. This Tacoma has very modest tow and haul ratings and doesn't have much power.

Agree about the resale diehards...why put up with the shortcomings every day just so you can get somewhat more money for it years from now?
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    I still don't get it...I know it is good off-road and has high resale but anyone over 6 ft tall can't sit comfortably in it, it gets half ton mpg, doesn't have much cargo capacity, etc, etc. This mpg is just unacceptable. A lot of Taco diehards are even looking at the new Ridgeline - the anti-Tacoma in the past - which at least is returning 21 mpg mixed or so and good hwy trip mileage...and most importantly is very comfortable (I've driven both - there is ZERO comparison).
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    18.5 mpg for a 'new' design compact truck is terrible. And I so wanted this truck. Bummer.