Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2016 in Chrysler

image2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Is the new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivan the ultimate family vehicle? We're going to find out now that we have added one to our long-term test fleet.

Read the full story here

Comments

• hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    Excellent choice. Looking forward to your impressions on this latest revamped offering from Chrylser. Everything I've seen about the new Pacifica has impressed me. Similar to the Kia Sedona that has been getting overall good reviews from the edmunds staff.

Now how about adding the the new Mazda CX-9 Signature? :)
  • john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    Not everyone who buys a minivan uses it to haul kids/adults. I have been buying Dodge/Chrysler minivans since they were first introduced. When I looked at the Pacifica closely I decided I would have to look elsewhere for my next one. Here is why:
    The roof rack is not usable for people who transport canoes. You cannot put two tandem canoes side by side on those crossbars, and you cannot mount Yakima or Thule crossbars on the van without expensive modifications.
    When you fold down the back two rows the floor is no longer flat, and the interior height is not enough to hold my bike in an upright position with the front wheel removed. I doubt it is even high enough to fit a garbage can.
    The storage options for front seat passengers are not as good as the outgoing van. There is one glove compartment in the Pacifica, not two as in the old one.
    The ground clearance has been reduced to a point that driving in snow country will turn that front air dam into a snowplow until the plastic breaks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2016
    I've purchased minivans for the same reasons, since 1989. Really like the flat floor on my '09 Grand Caravan with the Stow n Go seats. Don't canoe anymore though and gave my Yak racks away.

Haven't looked at a Pacifica yet but we plan to keep the old van around (it's our pickup) and downsize to a hatch one of these days anyway. Sounds like the Pacifica has morphed entirely into a people mover. Guess the outdoor crowd will switch to the Transit Connect type of rigs.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Just introduced, state of the art vehicle, already $3k (6.8%) in discounts and rebates.

Not everyone who buys a minivan uses it to haul kids/adults. I have been buying Dodge/Chrysler minivans since they were first introduced. When I looked at the Pacifica closely I decided I would have to look elsewhere for my next one. Here is why:
    The roof rack is not usable for people who transport canoes. You cannot put two tandem canoes side by side on those crossbars, and you cannot mount Yakima or Thule crossbars on the van without expensive modifications.
    When you fold down the back two rows the floor is no longer flat, and the interior height is not enough to hold my bike in an upright position with the front wheel removed. I doubt it is even high enough to fit a garbage can.
    The storage options for front seat passengers are not as good as the outgoing van. There is one glove compartment in the Pacifica, not two as in the old one.
    The ground clearance has been reduced to a point that driving in snow country will turn that front air dam into a snowplow until the plastic breaks.

Yakima and Thule will both offer adapters in short order I'm sure.

The ground clearance in snow issue is one that probably doesn't impact a lot of minivan customers and Chrysler likely decided improved fuel economy numbers were more important to more people not to mention the Federal government.
    stever said:

I've purchased minivans for the same reasons, since 1989. Really like the flat floor on my '09 Grand Caravan with the Stow n Go seats. Don't canoe anymore though and gave my Yak racks away.

Haven't looked at a Pacifica yet but we plan to keep the old van around (it's our pickup) and downsize to a hatch one of these days anyway. Sounds like the Pacifica has morphed entirely into a people mover. Guess the outdoor crowd will switch to the Transit Connect type of rigs.

Speaking of the Transit, a Transit Wagon with the standard 2.5 would be an interesting comparison.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Will the terrible 9 speed leave drivers with a bad driving impression?
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143

I'm with you on the utility part, for sure. My Durango has those hideaway crossbars and I found the same problem when I went to mount my kayaks. And I have the same problem with the front air dam...on an AWD SUV. MPG be damned, or is that dammed? Lol! While it's a shame that FCA has watered the new car down on it's utility quotient, it remains to be seen if that will affect sales, or if FCA's spotty quality control will be the real determining factor.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    I have no interest in buying one of these whatsoever, but I am very interested in reading about it... great choice.

I second hank39's suggestion... CX-9 Signature next, please.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    An F80 and E36 M3-owning friend leased one of these. It's hard not to be impressed by how well everything is thought out and integrated.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I was behind one of these on the highway this weekend and was really impressed by the styling. While not necessarily beautiful it is distinctive and different which is a challenging thing to pull off with a minivan body style (I'm talking to you, Odyssey). My wife was not impressed though.
    As for the trim levels: Touring, Touring-L and Touring-L Plus? Who comes up with this stuff?
  • khellwigkhellwig Member Posts: 2
    @hank39 and @willin58: A long-term CX-9 is in the works, but it won't be a Signature.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2016
    khellwig said:

@hank39 and @willin58: A long-term CX-9 is in the works, but it won't be a Signature.

Great to hear; it'll be interesting to see if Edmunds has some of the same issues with it that are being reported by others, i.e. weak a/c, etc.
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    Looking forward to reading updates on this. I shudder everytime I see mention of a vechicle with this transmission. It would be great to learn that things have finally been sorted out.
  • bloodyrbloodyr Member Posts: 11
    Good luck with this one. My wife has a 2011 Routan (rebadged Chrysler) and pretty much everything except the engine has broken. Transmission, sliding doors, radio, power third row (twice), starter, etc. Over 15,000 in repairs so far. Fortunately we bought the service plan ($100 per visit no matter how much they fix).
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    willin58 said:

I have no interest in buying one of these whatsoever, but I am very interested in reading about it... great choice.

Same here.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• golddog1golddog1 Member Posts: 20
    We have had our limited for three months now. The transmission issue is a non concern. Shifts are smooth and responsive, no hunting. Smooth and quiet, even with the 20" wheels. We use it primarily for transporting our show dogs. No problems getting crates and other equipment in there. The new stow feature, press one button on the door pillar, moves the front seats up automatically allowing storage of the second row seats. Press again and the seats go back to their stored position. Excellent first three months.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ah, the one touch would be nice - I actually like stowing the passenger side second row seat better if I need some space since moving the seat forward is faster doing it manually compared to the power seat on the driver's side.
  • wasabi911wasabi911 Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    I wonder how well it'll do in crash tests. Can't be a good family hauler w/o top safety scores.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    wasabi911 said:

I wonder how well it'll do in crash tests. Can't be a good family hauler w/o top safety scores.

Exactly; I'll never buy a vehicle that I can't ram into a large tree with total impunity.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive