Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Do You Want To Know?- 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2016 in BMW
imageWhat Do You Want To Know?- 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

The Edmunds long-term 2016 BMW 340i hits the road for a week-long trip to the Pacific Northwest. Reader questions are herein solicited.

Read the full story here

Comments

• nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    How's the steering feel/feedback? This has been criticized in the F30, and I was appalled at the numb steering in a couple of early 328i's I tested, but supposedly it's been improved.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    Allow me:

"The steering has excellent weight, and a good amount of feel from the electrically assisted steering rack. It's one of the more natural-feeling electric steering systems I've experienced in a while. Very impressed with BMW, I think they got it right with this car."

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-bmw-340i-performance-tested.html
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I think that the steering has been improved quite a bit in the later cars; in my opinion adding Variable Sport Steering is the hot ticket. Getting the Track Handling Package gets you VSS as well as M Sport brakes and the Adaptive M Suspension- so for a guy like me THP is a no-brainer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• speed12silspeed12sil Member Posts: 23
    How is the noise isolation on highway at um "speed limit"? On par with the current gen C class, or quite a bit noisier?
  • kennycs4kennycs4 Member Posts: 1
    How is the ride with the run-flat tires relative to competitors that don't use them. I used to own a 2007 335i (without the sport suspension) and the impact harshness from those tires was terrible. I now drive an S4 and the ride is much smoother.
  • smittyncsmittync Member Posts: 1
    How composed is the 340i at high speed?

For context, I'm an E90 M3 owner who recently completed an 800 mile road trip in a 2016 320i xDrive. While the car was deeply impressive in many respects, its high speed composure left something to be desired. Above 80 mph, the soft rear suspension's deep strokes combined with the low-friction steering to reduce confidence in situations that wouldn't have raised an eyebrow in either the M3 or my previous E46 325i ZSP.

TL;DR: Is the 340i more of an autobahn monster than the lower-spec F30s?
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    As a daily driver and road trip car I would like to know more about the everyday aspects of the car. How well do the wipers, lights and climate control work? Are the seats comfortable for long rides and is there enough storage space for cups and other junk that accumulates on road trips? How is the instrument lighting at night? These are things you'll never find out about on a test drive.
  • carfanatic92carfanatic92 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    What are your thoughts on BMW discontinuing their 4 year/50000 mile Maintenance Program for 2017? While your 2016 has the Maintenance Program, which covers all scheduled maintenance and most wear and tear items excluding tires, this is no longer offered for 2017 models.
    Instead, 2017 models get what is called the Ultimate Care program. This only covers scheduled maintenance for the first 3 years/36000 miles, but NO wear and tear items: only oil and filter changes, brake fluid, air filters, and spark plugs.
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/bmwmaintenanceprogram.aspx?mobileoverride=true
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    @carfanatic92

If you asked me "for or against," I'd say "against" as a consumer -- and "for" as a BMW dealer. :)

My responses to the other questions here are now live, by the way. Look for "Answers from the Road" in the 340i category.

-JS
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks like this is the link:

Answers from the Road