Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Good Stereo, Not Great - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Toyota
imageGood Stereo, Not Great - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

When choosing between the standard and optional stereo on a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, one question is how loud you need the volume to go.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Remember the good ole' days when these go to 11?
  • Options
    stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    edited September 2016

Bad News:
    Toyota head units are nothing special, and that's being kind to them.

Good News:
    1. The Toyota head units that I've seen (haven't checked them all) are still rectangular without integrated climate controls; and easy to swap with a Double DIN aftermarket unit.
    2. Toyota JBL systems sound good enough that when I do swap the head unit, I only use "signal out" from the aftermarket unit instead of its onboard power or aftermarket amplification.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Telling my age but I remember when small Japanese trucks were so popular with first time male buyers (teens and early 20's) that they had a radio delete option. Most teenagers would yank the standard system out the 2nd day they had it and put in a custom aftermarket system.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My '82 Tercel came without a stereo so that was the first order of business. Second mod was a third taillight a few years later. Third mod was a cut to fit broomstick to replace the sprung trunk torsion bars. :)
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Oh Mama Mia let me go!!!
  • Options
    tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    Article quote; "The bundle certainly isn't cheap at about $3,500" Remember that the pwr Sun Roof is ONLY for 4DR Tacoma's - Ext cabs are out of luck, NO pwr sun roof offered - deal breaker for me - maybe next year ? Nissan offers a pwr moon roof on there ext cab Frontiers, I would think Toyota engineers could figure it out too!