Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Overlooked Front Doors - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Tesla
imageThe Overlooked Front Doors - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2016 Tesla Model X gets a lot of attention for its Falcon Doors, but the automated front doors are pretty cool in their own right.

Read the full story here

Comments

• snipenetsnipenet Member Posts: 11
    The door was overlooked in the picture as well. Nice seat though.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    90% of the time I have no interest in the car door opening or closing automatically. My gut check for truly great technology is to imagine if the order of invention was reversed. Let's say cars always had doors that were powered by motors and then someone invented a door that would open or shut in an instant just by pushing and pulling on it. My Durango has a power rear hatch. Most of the time I feel like an idiot standing there for 4 or 5 seconds watching it open or close. Remember the good old days when I could slam a hatch closed and be done with it?
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    Yep, I have no desire to have the front doors shut for me. The depreciation on the X is going to be steep, I bet, as stuff like that breaks and costs way too much to fix.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I used to think that way when I first saw power doors on minivans and realized I could slam my sliders faster than the van could.

Then I got power sliders - they are like power windows, would never want to go back to crank windows. Now I wish the hatch was powered too.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    The power hatch on my wife's Buick Enclave drievs me crazy. Too slow. And honestly, shutting a hatch isn't too hard. Nor is opening a door. This sounds like a solution in search of a problem......
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The real question is whether your wife would willingly give it up. :D
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I think its great for Elon to have a vehicle he can focus his energies and excitement on creating a truly "cool" vehicle. What I hope he's done for the Model 3, however, is pass that onto someone who will "lock down" designs and plans and manage to use high-enough quality materials, while eliminating the gimmicks and neat features and focus on long term reliability. They literally can't afford (nor have sufficient mechanical resources) to fix Model 3s on a massive scale.