Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Greatly Improved For 2016 - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Chevrolet
imageGreatly Improved For 2016 - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

The first-generation Chevrolet Volt was as much of a curiosity as it was a real car. The redesigned 2016 Volt is a much better vehicle to drive everyday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Agree completely. This car makes so much sense for so many people.
  • Options
    stovebolterstovebolter Member Posts: 53
    If these depreciate the way the last generation did, I might have to consider picking up a used one as a daily driver in the next year or two. I could do most of my routine commute/errands on all electric and have a bit to spare, and while I do have 240V available in my garage I could probably get by on just standard 120V.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    It's funny how we get hung up on the "Generations" of vehicle. I don't know enough about the Volt to compare, but I've wondered whether you can really consider it the same car when everything is new besides the name. Since I'm not knowledgeable enough about the Volt, let me use the Mustang as an example.

The 1965-66 Mustang was the same except for some trim.
    The 67-68 Mustang was pretty much the same, but stretched about an inch. Still fairly comparable to a '65.
    The 69-70 Mustang was a bigger divergence from the previous years, but was still a derivative of the original '65
    The 71-73 Mustang was a big bloated mess, the sheetmetal was drastically different, but the underpinnings were still pretty close to the original.
    The 74-78 Mustang II was a total departure, but used the same general technology. You know...the Pinto-stang.
    The 79-93 Mustang was a total departure and introduced the Fox-Body Mustang.
    The 94-98 Mustang was a derivative of the Fox-Body (SN-95)
    The 99-04 Mustang was basically just a sheetmetal change to the SN-95
    The 05-09 Mustang was a totally new design (for the Mustang, at least)
    The 10-14 Mustang was a sheetmetal change to the 05-09
    The 15-current Mustang is a cleansheet design.

So when you look at this, comparing the Generations, is it right to compare the '07 Mustang to a '67 Mustang? In our case here, the Volt has only had one revision. It's probably 80 percent or better the same, except for some tweeks.

On a side note, Edmunds, y'all really need to bring back the "Generations" feature on your cars. I freaking loved reading those. I'm that "Car Guy" that cares about the minuscule changes between model years, option packages, plant locations, etc.
  • Options
    royalrituroyalritu Member Posts: 1
    Even I completely agree, it has indeed improved the version and is much, much better than before.