Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Supercharger Shortcut on the Return Leg From Lake Tahoe - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Tesla
imageSupercharger Shortcut on the Return Leg From Lake Tahoe - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Our hydrogen fuel cell versus battery electric car showdown concludes as we compare what it's like to travel in a 2016 Tesla Model X and a 2016 Toyota Mirai.

Read the full story here

Comments

• subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    edited September 2016
    Great storytelling, Dan! Hope you and Jay do more of these!
  • jjlawyerjjlawyer Member Posts: 17
    Looks like Musk's software was right, you should have stopped in Gardnerville to avoid the less convenient Mammoth Lakes supercharger and you would have made it to Lone Pine
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    Great post, confirmed my lack of interest in any car that encourages me to arrive with 16 miles of range. That would drive me NUTS.

Also confirmed my lack of interest in the Mirai - that picture of its rear end is eye-wateringly ugly.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    jjlawyer said:

Looks like Musk's software was right, you should have stopped in Gardnerville to avoid the less convenient Mammoth Lakes supercharger and you would have made it to Lone Pine

I've thought about that, but I don't think so. Filling when nearly full is a very slow process. It would not have been the work of 8 minutes to top off the battery in Gardnerville. And based my earlier experience and Jay's experience on the way north, I'm not convinced it wouldn't have asked me to stop at Mammoth Lakes anyway. It seems to dislike skipping at all. The better plan might have been to chop 5 mph off my speed, dial back the AC and bypass Mammoth and hypermile it to Lone Pine. Trouble is, that's a risky way to go if you don't know if you'll be running smack into a headwind, which is very common running south of 395 that time of day.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test