Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2016 in Toyota
image2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

The 2016 Toyota Mirai was a groundbreaking vehicle, and our daily driver for the past six months. It taught us a lot about the future of hydrogen as an energy source for cars.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kardaxkardax Member Posts: 8
    I'm happy this test brought more attention to the cost of hydrogen as a fuel source. There are government incentives on the infrastructure side, too... it's not impossible that this cost could go even higher as those incentives dry up.
  • bohiobohio Member Posts: 59
    Kelly Hellwig wrote: "...I had plenty of room for both my knees and my feet." Gee, Kelly, glad you didn't have to put one knee someplace else, or your knees behind one seat and your feet behind another? Edmunds staff writers, like so many of today's "journalists", overuse "both" in their articles. When you use "and" in a sentence, such as "my knees and my feet", then you shouldn't use "both" at all. Heck, knees and feet are already plural, aside from "and" eliminating the need for "both" in case that's your concern.

And speaking of improper use of words, "since" shouldn't be used in place of "because", but most writers don't seem to understand that subtlety.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2016
    I think both was used for emphasis.

Grammar and the Peeves that Pet It
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Nice wrapup, thanks. I am a bit surprised that you are trying to hide the numbers. Yes, I know prices will go down, but if someone is looking at this vehicle, they NEED TO KNOW the numbers in case they forget their card or decide to keep it past 3 years.

Here is how it should be presented:
    - Prius: 6 cents per mile - Total cost for 450 miles: $27.00
    - Mirari: 24 cents per mile - Total cost for 450 miles: $108.00

I realize its cutting edge tech, but those numbers need to be stressed before someone commits to it. You should NOT buy this vehicle. Lease it, sure, maybe.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    So based upon cost per mile, the Mirai is the same as a 12 MPG car, say, a Challenger Hellcat, and costs about the same.

Interesting that Toyota has recently announced that they will, in fact, develop a long-range BEV. So much for the hydrogen experiment.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited November 2016
    So based upon cost per mile, the Mirai is the same as a 12 MPG car, say, a Challenger Hellcat, and costs about the same.

But the Hellcat lacks the Toyota's beautiful styling
  • davetroupdavetroup Member Posts: 2
    It's pretty clear that the reason hydrogen prices are so high, today, is that the automakers are subsidizing the station development costs by encouraging operators to charge more during the first three years when the manufacturers are paying for virtually all fuel purchased. That's a win-win for everyone — and it puts the incentive on station operators to prioritize uptime and reliability so they can maximize profits while prices are high.

Toyota and other fuel cell car manufacturers are well aware that, a couple of years from now, fuel prices need to be dramatically lower. I'll be shocked if that isn't what comes to pass.