Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Brakes not releasing - '96 Legacy

mailman1989mailman1989 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in Subaru
So bought a 96 subie RIGHT HAND DRIVE for my mail route. Had no brake lights so replaced the brake light switch near the pedal. Since then..my brakes do not release. Have replaced calipers, still happens. Replaced master cylinder, still happening. My biggest question is there anything at all that switch could be connected to in any weird way shape or form that could cause this to happen? Tech "thinks" its the booster now...im getting tired paying for parts just for it not to work.

96 legacy NO ABS has a 98 Forester motor

Thanks for any help at all.

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The brake light switch needs to be adjusted to allow for a little bit of free play in the pedal assembly. The free movement should be sufficient to allow the brake lights to come on and be turned off without the pedal holding the brakes applied.
  • Options
    mailman1989mailman1989 Member Posts: 2
    Are you telling me a switch can hold my brakes applied so hard that it doesn't roll in neutral and bellows smoke...all because of a button?
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The switch is threaded which allows for it to be adjusted. If you installed it incorrectly and failed to adjust it, it definitely could be holding the brakes applied. But it wouldn't be the "button" holding the brakes applied, it would be the body of the switch.