Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Redesigned 2017 Honda CR-V Enters 5th Generation with Turbo Power, Sharper Style

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2016 in Honda

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,128
    There still isn't really an engine upgrade, is there? The 1.5T doesn't seem to provide enough power to make this anything other than an acceptable mid-pack performer at best. And frankly, the article reads like a press release. I find it difficult to believe there wasn't even one thing to comment upon that wasn't great.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    threxxthrexx Member Posts: 42
    ab348 said:

There still isn't really an engine upgrade, is there? The 1.5T doesn't seem to provide enough power to make this anything other than an acceptable mid-pack performer at best. And frankly, the article reads like a press release. I find it difficult to believe there wasn't even one thing to comment upon that wasn't great.

There are two engines available in the new CR-V. Technically that's an available engine upgrade, as the turbo 4 makes more power at low RPM and also offers better fuel economy. The turbo CR-V will probably hit 60 mph in a hair under 8 seconds, and that paired with a motor that doesn't require being thrashed to get moving is probably all 95% of buyers in this class care for anyway.

As for cons, read the last paragraph again. They admitted they'll have a complete list of them in their full review. Then again maybe they added that in response to your comment.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Upgrade the CR-V with Civic power? I can barely contain my enthusiasm.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think the strength of the CRV that propels its sales is its space efficiency for its size. Never been really a quick vehicle.
  • Options
    fitmissfitmiss Member Posts: 13
    Hoping it is quicker than the other mid level 4cyl SUVs on the market.
  • Options
    sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    Finally test drove the 2017 CRV Touring today. The car is impressive looking, feels more substantial than the RAV4. The engine however is another story...the car feels sluggish and underpowered..wish it had another 35 or 40 ponies to bring it in line with the Ford Escape 2.0 turbo
  • Options
    skisurf1skisurf1 Member Posts: 13
    That is why it is reliable compared to the Ford because it has one engine or now two. Honda builds basically three engines across their entire line.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Does the 2017 CRV have a cd player?
  • Options
    oldmancolondooldmancolondo Member Posts: 1
    No CD player but you could program your music onto the hard drive.
  • Options
    ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Tested a '17 EX-L FWD (I have 2 2015 CRV LX, FWD and AWD), and was not too impressed with the new turbo engine, compare to a Forester XT I also tested. The 1.5 Turbo smoothed out the CRV notchiness, but really did not make the CRV pop or accelerate much better than the 2.4 engine. '17 may be stiffer but handling and shakes over bumps weren't noticeably better. Back seats and trunk space definitely got bigger but could not make cargo floor go flat (back seats folded down is 2" higher than cargo floor). For those buying I think a heavily discounted 2016 is a better deal. I am shopping and going either with another old style LX or a Forester XT.