Monthly Update for February 2017 - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,237
edited March 2017 in Tesla
imageMonthly Update for February 2017 - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Read all the latest news about our long-term 2016 Tesla Model X for the month of February.

Read the full story here


  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    The last post of the Yosemite trip was the most positive I've ever read about this car. Other than the range concerns, the car seemed to handle family road trip duty very well. But this post is more of what we've come to expect. Tesla really blew it on this car. And we all knew it the minute we saw it previewed with much fanfare. The Model S is fantastic not because of the ways it's different but because of the ways that it is similar to a typical luxury sedan. But they had to go all weird on us with the form factor, falcon wing doors, etc. There are just too many ways in which this car asks buyers to make sacrifices. They should have just picked a car like the Q7 or GL and matched them in terms of layout, usability, form factor, etc. You can step out of any luxury sedan and find the Model S just as useful. But step out of any luxury 3-row crossover and you give up a lot including cargo room, roof rack, doors that open/close in a second.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    One problem is Edmunds' propensity to max out every single car it tests, and so this car cost you $145k. If you had purchased even the 90D, you'd have had just as much range for 1/3 less. I'm not excusing the shortcomings of the car, but your sense of value would go up a lot if you hadn't bought all the bling.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    The quality of the interior, the creaks and groans and vibration upon acceleration are all HUGELY problematic for me. I think Tesla missed the target with this vehicle.
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2017
    I've been following the forums since the X was released. The early X's have the most build quality issues, especially the Signature models like Edmunds has. A few owners have already traded in their early X for a new one and noticed a markedly better put together vehicle. I was very apprehensive when my wife wanted an X. She ordered it in August with a 6 month delay. Two weeks in and no issues. I went over the X insanely closely during delivery. I couldn't find anything wrong....until a week in...a light under the drivers seat isn't lit up (we didn't get the Premium Upgrade Package). Turns out there aren't supposed to be lights under there....but the passenger side has a light
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    "Also, the creaks and groans remain, as does the vibration upon acceleration."

    How much of the build issues are caused by the falcon doors? I remember sliding doors on early minivans used to rattle after a few months if not on the dealer lots!
  • camsencamsen Member Posts: 15
    It's reports like these that stop me from buying a Model X. It's 90% of the car I want, but the other 10% is vital to me. At this point, I'm waiting for the Volvo and BMW 200-mile-plus EVs.
Sign In or Register to comment.