Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Monthly Update for March - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited April 2017 in BMW
Monthly Update for March - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Daily commuting and a weekend road trip made up the bulk of our BMW's time on the road in March.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DLuDLu NHPosts: 94
    So I got myself a 340i xDrive -- BMW still offers stick with it, while nothing else in the class does anymore. One thing jumps out at me -- both the GT-R and the F30 are ridiculed as cars that make driving like a video game. I am curious (as I have never driven a GT-R) if they both have a similar degree of relatively unexciting handling?
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Santa Monica, CAPosts: 47
    edited April 2017
    @Dlu -- The GT-R has some video-game elements (literally! you may recall that the infotainment screen's software was designed by Polyphony Digital, the maker of the Gran Turismo game series), but "unexciting" is certainly not a term I'd use to describe its handling. With the F30, what stands out to me is its numb steering, even by electric-power-steering (EPS) standards. It's still a highly capable car; the steering is the primary reason why it's less involving to drive than its (non-EPS) E90 predecessor, in my opinion.

Josh
  • DLuDLu NHPosts: 94
    Thanks for the quick reply, Josh!

My first experience with a BMW was a (then) new 328i in 2009. Boy, I was smitten! I was like, "I finally figured out what all the fuss was about!" Now, it seems like the 3 series, S6, GS350 FSport (examples of what I actually had driven) all feel about the same. I guess the ATS-V and Giulia are on the short list of 5-passenger cars that still offer good feedback. Perhaps the XE too. I am still pretty happy with the 3 -- BMW can still tune magic into the chassis.