Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Steering slow on 2000 Dakota,

brucepetrobrucepetro Member Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Dodge
Just replaced a leaking rack and pinion on my 2000 Dakota. Now the steering is slow to respond and is all over the road. The steering won't track and will take me off the road if I'm not care. I'm wondering if I need to replace the power steering pump? I'm really scratching my head on this problem. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    By slow, do you men the steering feels heavy or is hard to turn? Or do you mean there's a lag between your turning the wheel and the turn/change of direction you expect to happen? "All over the road" has me thinking you need to get this corrected now and minimize the amount you drive until you do.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747

Now the steering is slow to respond and is all over the road. The steering won't track and will take me off the road if I'm not care.

This sounds like you are describing a wander or excessive play in the steering column, which makes me curious if you failed to tighten the steering shaft coupler to the rack correctly.

Does the wheel turn freely before the truck reacts? If so how far does it turn?