Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Buick Regal automatic trans. shifter knob

mlan122mlan122 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Buick
I need some advice on how to remove the shifter knob on my Regal. I have removed the "C" clip and the knob does not move at all. Tried gentle tugging and a hard pull. When I tried the hard pull it felt like the shaft the knob is on started to pull out of the shifter mechanism in the center console. Also, I saw a photograph of a used OEM knob that had a red and black wires with a connector on the end. The shop manual does not mention any wiring, none of videos about shift knobs mention wiring. I want to gain access to clean and lubricate the actuator rod, if it has one, and lubricate any other mechanism in the shifter. The knob sticks down when the car is placed in park. Thank you in advance for any help.

Answers

• Options
    mlan122mlan122 Member Posts: 2
    Update to the above post. I was able to remove the knob by removing the "C" clip, and pushing the leather boot down enough so I could hold the stick while gently twisting the knob back and forth while gently lifting upward. It too a few seconds of this procedure and the knob gradually began to move and then slipped off the stick. The wiring I referred to is part of a performance package that some model vehicles came from the factory with. Apparently it allowed the driver to select a different set of shifting rpm's.