Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Venture ( This will require a knwledge base of mechanics unheard of to man kind)

pro_rookie17pro_rookie17 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2017 in Chevrolet
O.K first look at the screen name I chose, because of this nightmare. Engine Mechanical required components all checked out good multiple times, compression. , pump down on vacc lines & hoses electrical Alternator wiring including interior and yes the pass thru connector behind the drivers seat, connectors, Relays, fuses mini's and maxi's. new battery all check excellent. So situation CRANKS NO START NO SPARK NO FUEL PRESSURE. just got it drove it home . lights on OBD vII calls out misfire cyl. 3 and A.B.S sensor front drivers side. First it had no F.O.B so I programmed them to the van as specified worked fine . the next day dead battery .10.6v max at full charge replaced it. O.K 13.3 v no drain. still NO START SAME, I planned on keeping it for a long time , Installed. All NEW parts and tested good. Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Fuel Relay, Ignition Control Module, Coil packs (x3), Plugs and wires correct gaps, PCValve, Oil filter, Oil pressure Sensor, Crank Position Sensor w/ twisted pair going to it, MAF sensor, & MAP sensor, Air filter, did the relearn on the pass KEY 3, crank no start, tested BCM good. got a headache left it for a week . started approx 20 seconds died . Now I have a Security light on . original owner says never got that option on it and NO CRANK NO START even with the re-learn ... No I usually have problems with Ford's and love working on chevy's but this time I am stumped ? Is it possessed ?? Even the guys at the shop are giving a hard time but no answers. Ignition switch ??? expensive guess , BCM re-flash ??? can screw up the main system ! so let me hear it but for the sake of sounding like me, RE-READ everything done first any help even real good guesses. Thanks Big Larry

Answers

• Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Well, I'm game.
    But first, remember that sentence structure and paragraphs are very helpful to old people.

What exactly is the fuel pressure with key on and cranking, when you say no fuel pressure, that really isn't a help, unless you mean you put a gauge on it and the gauge didn't move.

Further down, I get confused.
    If it isn't cranking, how are you checking for spark?

Is the security light flashing or on solid?

If the security light is on, that means that the system is in security mode and you will not get it to crank. And since you know that is the obvious issue, you have to tackle the known problem first.

First, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Charge the battery. Make sure the battery is 12.5V+/
    Then reconnect (safety glasses, safety procedures, etc.) and turn the key on and wait and see if security light goes out. If it does, attempt to start.

If the light still stays on, try this.
    With doors closed. Do not open the doors again til done. (I roll the window down and reach in.
    Turn the key to the run position (not start)
    Wait for security light to go out. May take up to 15 minutes.
    Turn key off for 5 seconds.
    Turn back on.
    Wait for light to go out.
    Turn key off for 5 seconds.
    Turn key on.
    Wait for light to go out.
    Turn key off.
    Try to start.

Let us know what happens.

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    0patience said:

Well, I'm game.

Yeah, I would be too but I did get a laugh out of the title. Half the time when I get involved with a car like this I usually find the previous attempts to repair it have not only failed, they quite often have succeeded in adding additional problems to the car on top of the original failure. That's OK however because with a solid routine and the right tools there is nothing that someone could do to a car like this that I wouldn't be able to figure out. It just takes patience and a good game plan and you just have to identify and solve one issue at a time.
    0patience said:

Further down, I get confused.
    If it isn't cranking, how are you checking for spark?

Ditto. I suspect that it lost spark first but now having tried to "fix it" it has become a no-crank "possible" security system issue.

This sentence from the middle of the request "got a headache left it for a week . started approx 20 seconds died" Suggests this is just a basic ignition issue at that moment in time because the security system won't shut the car off after it has run for more than three seconds. Even then it disables fuel, not spark.

• Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    @thecardoc3
    You are much better at reading that, than I am.
    After a bit, the words got all jumbled up and my bifocals just did nothing to help me.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    0patience said:

@thecardoc3
    You are much better at reading that, than I am.

Maybe, but not by choice. Getting poor information is something that we get used to up to a point. In this case if I was actually going to work on the van, I would forget everything he said about it and just start testing as any other no-start and let my experience, skill, and intuition lead the way.

You were right on the money when you pointed out, "How does he know there isn't any spark if the car doesn't crank?". That would be one of the first issues that would have to be solved. Even now the no crank may or may not have anything at all to do with the theft deterrent system. If it does, then that would take priority and the tech working on this would have to solve that first and then see what happens after the security system is happy.

I don't try to memorize which cars disable cranking during a theft event and which ones do not. Typically most systems allow the car to crank, start, and they will shut the fuel off for the kill and that happens in about two seconds after the engine started. However after repeated attempts to start or if someone tries to provide alternative fuel then the PCM will disable spark and then ultimately cranking for a full lockdown of the system. Usually it's easy to get out of the lockdown mode by leaving the key on in the ignition position for an hour. (you may need to provide power with a battery charger) You can also pull and record codes from every module on the car and then clear them. Then you go key off for a minute and then attempt to restart. Now any codes that could be pulled would be current issues and that may help provide some direction.
    0patience said:

After a bit, the words got all jumbled up and my bifocals just did nothing to help me.

It is difficult to read posts like that, I think diagnosing a vehicle issue is easier.