Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2018 Toyota Camry First Drive | Edmunds

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2017 in Toyota
image2018 Toyota Camry First Drive | Edmunds

We drive the fully redesigned 2018 Toyota Camry, a midsize family sedan that is better in every way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Thanks for the tip about NAV. I thought the ugly bodies were the worst feature, but finding out factory built-in NAV isn't available on the 4-cyl model is outrageous. Customers will flock elsewhere as folks like me aren't going to screw around with Scout & apps.
  • Options
    zstate50zstate50 Member Posts: 1
    The lack of embedded navigation or android auto is a deal breaker for me. I've been waiting in anticipation for the new Camry and was planning on upgrading next spring. The new Camry looks so great with respect to everything else. I already have two Toyotas and love the brand reliability. I've seen the scout in action in a friends corolla and it’s terrible. I use the Nav too much to deal with something that cumbersome when I need to get somewhere quickly or on a long trip. Then they want a subscription after three years, who are they kidding. I don't really want to but I guess I'll have to look to another brand. Very disappointed Toyota!
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Lower inside headroom concerns me as the current models are already a bit tight in that dimension. Six footers can probably forget about a sunroof unless they want to recline and drive banger style.
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Edmunds, this review is impossible to find on your website. Thankfully I could Google it in 5 seconds.
  • Options
    wiseoldfartwiseoldfart Member Posts: 40
    Most informative review I've read so far. I have a 2015 Camry SE. It's been great after 32k miles. One oil pan gasket leak was fixed under warranty. Very unusual for an oil leak on a Camry. The warranty covered it. No other problems.

Things I wanted improved on the new model: The ride, a little less road noise on course roads, a little more power assist in the steering of the SE, and complete manual control of the A/C. Every time I start my car, I have to turn the A/C recirculation off. Very annoying.

I'll probably switch to the LE this time because the new LE probably handles as well as my SE, rides better, requires less effort to steer, is quieter on course roads, has more power, gets better gas mileage, and looks fine to me. The LE hybrid is very tempting at over 50 mpg. I'll test drive one, but won't likely bite. I hope Toyota stopped the A/C recirculation from coming on automatically in this new model.
  • Options

Thanks for the tip about NAV. I thought the ugly bodies were the worst feature, but finding out factory built-in NAV isn't available on the 4-cyl model is outrageous. Customers will flock elsewhere as folks like me aren't going to screw around with Scout & apps.

I don't want factory NAV in car. My $100 Garmin gets me around just fine when I need directions or need to find hotels and places to eat. The i-phone gets others around just fine. Portable NAV also comes in handy when people go on trips and rent cars. That's probably why Toyota made this decision. It will stop very few people from buying a Camry.
  • Options
    berri said:

Lower inside headroom concerns me as the current models are already a bit tight in that dimension. Six footers can probably forget about a sunroof unless they want to recline and drive banger style.

The roof and seats are 1" lower. No change in headroom.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Say wiseoldfart, probably not your issue, but if the AC is in the max position; on many cars, that can automatically put it in recirculate default position. Of course, if it is an automated type AC it just seems to do what it wants sometimes.
  • Options
    admiralrichadmiralrich Member Posts: 1
    I have bought the 2018 SE a month ago. My overpriced and overrated BMW 528i finally came to lease end. I drove probably 6 different makes before deciding to buy a new 2018. The Camry SE in my opinion is very beautiful, outclasses the competition, is now almost as powerful as the BMW 528i and overall was the best choice for the money. So far with close to 1,000 miles on the clock, I love it. It has more than enough power, rides better than I expected, looks great, and what else does a person want. It does not have GPS, but I almost never use it anyway. I have a $99. gps which I carry along in case I need to go to strange territory.
    Another plus, when I had the BMW and someone came to give me an estimate on something with the house, the price usually went up drastically since they thought I was wealthy (not knowing that I was just renting the BMW)... IF you want a great experience, get to test drive the 2018 Camry SE and you will I think want it, I did.
  • Options
    enrico17enrico17 Member Posts: 14
    Seems like a reasonable review.
  • Options
    carpersocarperso Member Posts: 148
    So far with close to 1,000 miles on the clock, I love it. It has more than enough power, rides better than I expected

How does ride quality and cabin noise compare to the BMW. Also what made you choose the camry over the accord?
  • Options
    carpersocarperso Member Posts: 148

So far with close to 1,000 miles on the clock, I love it. It has more than enough power

How does ride quality and cabin noise compare to the BMW. Also what made you choose the camry over the accord?

• Options
    SurprzpkgSurprzpkg Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2018 SE last month used. I was sure I was a Subaru gal having been desperate for years for an AWD car. I found my self in need of a rental car for a week and it was a 2018 Toyota Camry. Driving it changed my mind. For the most part I am enjoying the ride but.....sad to say Toyota chintzed out on acousttic material under the carpeting. Tremendous amount of road noise(thought it was the tires but replaced them and noise remains). I am also not loving the tranny. A little jerky and hesitant for my liking. But she gets up and goes when I need her to.