Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Direct Ozone Reduction Radiator and sensor

ms88ms88 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Mitsubishi
Wanted to make all aware of an issue with a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander I am trying to purchase from a private dealer. The dealer let me know that the check engine light was currently on and he would lower the price if I could fix it.
I brought the vehicle to my mechanic, everything checked out except a radiator sensor code. With some research, come to find out that the radiator is a DOR and must be replaced with a DOR. The sensor that is incorporated into the radiator, if tampered with, sends a encrypted code and the engine light stays on. Cannot smog, no sale. Mitsubishi was notified many times but no solution has been presented.

Comments

• Options
    ms88ms88 Member Posts: 2
    ms88 said:

Wanted to make all aware of an issue with a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander I am trying to purchase from a private dealer. The dealer let me know that the check engine light was currently on and he would lower the price if I could fix it.
    I brought the vehicle to my mechanic, everything checked out except a radiator sensor code. With some research, come to find out that the radiator is a DOR and must be replaced with a DOR. The sensor that is incorporated into the radiator, if tampered with, sends an encrypted code and the engine light stays on. Cannot smog, no sale. Mitsubishi was notified many times but no solution has been presented.

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited February 2015
    First take a look at the drivers side rear windows for a decal that states PZEV, ULEV, SULEV. If you see PZEV which is partial zero emissions vehicle then the radiator has a 15year 150,000 mile warranty. This article explains a little more about the ozone reduction radiators noted as PREMAIR. http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92552/mitsubishi-dor-radiator

Yes it is true that if the radiator must be replaced and you have a car that requires a premium air coating then you must get one and install it, but that really isn't that bad of a problem. While they are a little more expensive than the non premair systems they are readily available. The diagnostic routine requires a fully capable scan tool that can perform the bidirectional communication commands as described by testing according to the P1541 trouble code.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Never thought about a radiator being part of the pollution control system.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    stever said:

Never thought about a radiator being part of the pollution control system.

The more that you study and learn about cars, the more you realize that you have more to learn. There is a lot of truth to the statement that the air is cleaner behind newer cars when they drive down that road than it was in front of them.
  • Options
    doradiatordoradiator Member Posts: 2
    First take a look at the drivers side rear windows for a decal that states PZEV, ULEV, SULEV. If you see PZEV which is partial zero emissions vehicle then the radiator has a 15year 150,000 mile warranty. This article explains a little more about the ozone reduction radiators noted as PREMAIR. http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92552/mitsubishi-dor-radiator Yes it is true that if the radiator must be replaced and you have a car that requires a premium air coating then you must get one and install it, but that really isn't that bad of a problem. While they are a little more expensive than the non premair systems they are readily available. The diagnostic routine requires a fully capable scan tool that can perform the bidirectional communication commands as described by testing according to the P1541 trouble code.
    Ok so if you and auto service professional are so sure, then why does mitsubishi not honor the warranty? Mitsubishi dealerships in Denver say that this warranty doesn't exist and that the radiator is on back order. The dealership service mechanics told me they ordered one DOR radiator in 2014, and it didn't arrive till 2016!!! How can Mitsubishi be getting away with This? HOW AM I GOING TO PASS EMISSIONS? When I asked the mechanic at skyline mitsubishi in Thornton colorado, he told me to sell my car because the radiators aren't being made anymore and my car won't pass emissions with the service light!!!! So what am I supposed to do? Enjoy a completely worthless car due to a radiator sensor?? Has anyone on earth ever gotten mitsubishi to admit to this warranty?
  • Options
    doradiatordoradiator Member Posts: 2
    Um this is a link to a mitsubishi enthusiast forum, nothing to do with mitsubishi corporation so that doesn't help at all. Who am i supposed to call? how am i supposed to pass emissions? this is worth of a class action law suit against mitsubishi. I CALLED MULTIPLE DEALERSHIPS AND THEY ALL SAID THERE IS NO 15 YR 150K MILE WARRANTY! WHAT IS GOING ON? again the service managers both keith and clyde at skyline mitsubishi in thorton