Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Steering wheel not returning to center(wheel forced to turn when engine off, free play at 3 and 9)

Hawk111Hawk111 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2019 in Toyota
Hey guys thanks for reading this thread. I have a 2009 Toyota Camry LE whose steering wheel won't return to the center after a left turn. I put two camber bolts on the front wheel last night, and accidentally turned the wheel to right when loosing those bolts(using a braker bar). I got freaked out and opened the door and turned the steering wheel straight without key. At that time I niticed front wheels having huge free play at 3 and 9 o'clock.
After adding -0.3 degree camber to both front wheels and putting the wheels back, I found the steering wheel locked and can't start ignition, so I tried to turn the key while turning the steering wheel and it worked.
Now the right turn feels normal, and the steering wheel has no free play when engine is off. But after a left turn, it could only return to about 90 degree to the left. And when driving straight, it could turn to left by itself because there is no resistance from the left side.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk111Hawk111 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I got it fixed! Just reset the Steering position sensor, or reset the whole computer. I think it's the steering wheel moving without key in caused this. The movement confused the computer.
  • Options
    2nd_Gen_Ram2nd_Gen_Ram Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a question. I have a 99 Ram 3500 4x4 and having some steering issues. If I turn my steering wheel 1/4 turn and let it go it will continue turn till it can’t turn no more and this is for both ways. And ideas? I have a video but I’m new to this and not sure how to post it. Thanks in advance!