Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Good idea to buy a Diesel now?

tabtabtabtab Member Posts: 2
edited June 2019 in General
Hey there,

I consider buying of a new car. We're in love with the VW Touareg and BMW X5. Both Diesel.
Both cars from Year 2012 to 2014. Also like the Porsche Cayenne Diesel and the Mercedes ML.

However, due to the VW Diesel scandal I'm confused. We moved recently from Europe and have seen that there's a VW settlement ongoing. Can someone pls explain what it does mean for me when consider buying a VW or Porsche? The dealer said the cars got the Diesel fix and has warranty. But what happens after that warranty? Am I still allowed to drive the car after it? What contains the warranty? I read the settlement info on the page but didn't really get it.

And what is about Mercedes and BMW? Also heard about injection problems and weak spare part availability for diesel engines. How they are in terms of maintenance costs and reliability? Any big differences between those manufacturer? Reson for the Disel is actually the better mileage.

Can you please help me with some guidance on buying a diesel car here in the US, in the state of IL?

Thank you

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Do you drive a fair number of miles per year? I've heard you should consider a diesel for being cheaper to fuel and run if you're driving like 15,000+ per year.

Also, you can check out the diesel incentives page here on Edmunds
  • Options
    tabtabtabtab Member Posts: 2
    I think we gonna drive 20k miles per year at least for one of our 2 cars. Thanks for the link but that's only interesting for newer cars. I consider to buy an older used car
  • Options
    niomarvin83niomarvin83 Member Posts: 8
    I feel your indecision. I just sold a 2020 F250 7.3 and ordered my first diesel, an F350. I tow 7000 and will be driving 12 miles each way to work at wall work service so not a huge workout. I’m also pretty in tune with my vehicles and will keep up on the maintenance. Did I need a diesel? No. The 7.3 was a great platform while I had it. I recommend it. But, I wanted the torque of the diesel and the timing was right. I’m running a borrowed F450 at present and I don’t think my decision is wrong yet…but, as I’m sitting at the tire shop right now in Florida, custom wheels on a dually are not for me. The towing capability of this diesel truck is amazing.