Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 silverado wiring issue

farmerkenfarmerken Member Posts: 3
edited December 2019 in Chevrolet
I have a 2013 Silverado 1500 Crew cab. In the process of mounting a fifth wheel plate, I drilled through the bed and caught the wiring harness with the drill. I thought I had them moved far enough away. Repaired the wires and everything was ok. Now I'm haveing trouble again with stabilitrack and traction control lights coming on and off. Engine runs rough as well. Can that section of wiring harness be replaced and how much fun will it be.

Answers

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    farmerken said:

I have a 2013 Silverado 1500 Crew cab. In the process of mounting a fifth wheel plate, I drilled through the bed and caught the wiring harness with the drill. I thought I had them moved far enough away.

Unfortunately sometimes things like this happen.
    farmerken said:

Repaired the wires and everything was ok. Now I'm haveing trouble again with stabilitrack and traction control lights coming on and off.

How exactly did you repair the harness? Solder and heat shrink? Crimp connectors with/without tape? Elecrtical tape by itself does not seal out mositure and allows the wire to corrode. Crimp connectors often dont maintain a crush on the wire and allow it to work free over time.
    farmerken said:

Engine runs rough as well. Can that section of wiring harness be replaced and how much fun will it be.

Fun? It's work and "work" is a four letter word in this case. The harness can be repaired/replaced BUT first someone needs to test and prove what the system is seeing causing it to code. At this point there isn't any proof that the "Oooops" has anything to do with the trucks current issue. Only after pulling codes and starting testing should that be allowed to be part of the picture, if applicable.

So what codes are setting in every module?

• Options
    I'll have to get it checked as i don't have a scan tool
  • Options
    if the wires that i damaged have corrosion/worked loose, can the harness be removed from under the fuse box and simply be replaced
  • Options
    Possibly, off hand I'm not sure if there would be a convenient connector like that. If it can be serviced like that it's likely to be more expensive than just have a qualified technician diagnose and fix exactly what is wrong right now.
  • Options
    In order to answer your question about the wiring harness I had to look at a few different schematics. The ABS wiring goes directly from the ABS control module to the various wheels, those are the wires that are twisted pairs inside the harness. The exterior lamps do run from the fuse block to a junction block at the rear cross member right in front of the bumper . What we cant tell from the schematics is whether they run in the same loom or not. So at the least you can expect more than one connection point, at the worst it could be separate harnesses that route together. Most O.E. harnesses have an ID tag on them in order to identify them for replacement.