Options

My Lexus LS430 has 199k miles. Is it time to replace it, and if so, what's as good?

David_FDavid_F Member Posts: 2
edited April 2020 in Lexus
I bought a 2005 LS430 (Premium Luxury Package with interactive cruise) with 77k miles in 2010 for $22k. (It replaced my Jaguar XJ6 sedan which I also loved.) Looking back, the LS430 has been the best car I've ever owned for a smooth, quiet comfortable ride. Ten years later the car now has 199,350 miles, and has been relatively trouble free. Several questions:
(1) If I keep it, what can I expect to go wrong in these cars over the next chunk of miles? I just replaced the computer that regulates braking and speed for about $2k, and now live with a broken tilt wheel motor, but telescoping motor is fine and makes up for it.
(2) Has anyone found as quiet and as smooth a car as the 430, even with other badges? I drove a couple LS460's but haven't found them better. In fact the 2009 LS460 was better than the 2013 I tested, so even those seem to have gotten worse as far as cabin noise. Anyone else have this experience, or can recommend a luxury car that's as good a value and ride?
(3) My LS430 has one flaw I can't remedy: after an abrupt stop, the car wants to lurch forward on its own. The recent, new computer didn't fix it, nor did the transmission fluid check we did years ago. Several mechanics couldn't fix it anywhere.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,607
    Cadillac? Maybe an Avalon if it does not need to have the premium, badge. the new E class is supposed to be very nice.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2020
    David_F said:

I bought a 2005 LS430 (Premium Luxury Package with interactive cruise) with 77k miles in 2010 for $22k. (It replaced my Jaguar XJ6 sedan which I also loved.) Looking back, the LS430 has been the best car I've ever owned for a smooth, quiet comfortable ride. Ten years later the car now has 199,350 miles, and has been relatively trouble free. Several questions:
    (1) If I keep it, what can I expect to go wrong in these cars over the next chunk of miles? I just replaced the computer that regulates braking and speed for about $2k, and now live with a broken tilt wheel motor, but telescoping motor is fine and makes up for it.
    (2) Has anyone found as quiet and as smooth a car as the 430, even with other badges? I drove a couple LS460's but haven't found them better. In fact the 2009 LS460 was better than the 2013 I tested, so even those seem to have gotten worse as far as cabin noise. Anyone else have this experience, or can recommend a luxury car that's as good a value and ride?
    (3) My LS430 has one flaw I can't remedy: after an abrupt stop, the car wants to lurch forward on its own. The recent, new computer didn't fix it, nor did the transmission fluid check we did years ago. Several mechanics couldn't fix it anywhere.

The Lexus LS 430 is the best car Lexus ever built. I sold them back in 2001-2007 at the largest Lexus dealer in the world. That car drives like a flying carpet and handles beautifully. Smooth and responsive. I still see many of them on the road.

I just finished a 3-year lease on a Mercedes S450 - best car I have ever owned. I am about to take delivery on a 2020 Mercedes E450. You might want to test drive one - but it won't be as smooth as your LS430.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    So, you want smooth....

I agree with @stickguy about the Avalon. You’ll get 99% of what that Lexus offers only with a V6 instead of a V8. Plus, you’ll probably be able to slide into a new one with a warranty vs a used Lexus.

@abacomike has had many MBs. So, his advice is solid, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    David_FDavid_F Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for these answers! @abacomike hit the nail on the head: I don't think Lexus has been able to duplicate the ride from 430 to 460. I did try out the Avalon, a great car, but smaller frame and nothing quite like the LS430.
    @Corvette: great advice and probably will keep the 430, but was hoping to upgrade which may not be possible without buying a whole different car. I'll drive a few more LS460's to see if it was just tires or something else.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,607
    Give a look at a used caddy DTS. That should have a nice ride!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.