Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Starts then dies. No spark

GreyGrey Member Posts: 2
edited August 2020 in Buick
I have a 98 Buick LeSabre with the 3.8 non supercharged engine. Car will crank,start and die after 3 seconds. If I continue to spin the engine over there is no spark until the keys turned off and starting procedure is repeated.I rebuilt the engine about a year and a half ago and no iseues until now.Any suggestions? It's my only ride and I am desperate. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    No spark. OK that is an output from the ignition system that is either directly generated by the camshaft and crankshaft sensors below 400rpm or commanded by the engine control module above 400rpm.

Do you have a way to look at the crank and camshaft signals to the ignition module? In the shop we would use an oscilloscope for that. At the same time you need to be prepared to confirm power and ground to the ignition module and the power, signal reference, and ground for the crank and cam sensors.
  • Options
    GreyGrey Member Posts: 2
    It's it possible for me to use a multimeter to check these things? An oscilloscope is out of my price range unfortunately. Lol.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    It's not impossible, however it is tedious and potentially misleading with some failures.