Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

First Car Question

ExplorerGuy98ExplorerGuy98 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2020 in Ford
Is a 1998 Explorer 4 DR XLT 4wd a good first car, i can get it for under 1k from a family member. I CAN afford a decent corolla but would prefer to save the money. Is it safe enough? Insurenace isnt going to he expensive. I dont care mich a bout fuel because of a shorter commute.

Answers

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,546
    If it’s clean and runs ok, get it. For that price it’s a bargain. Could get pricey to repair if something major goes, but routine stuff is pretty cheap and DIY friendly. Just be prepared to dump and run if something expensive, like the transfer case or Transmission, fails.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    Which engine? The 4.6 is bulletproof. How many miles?
    Just check for any serious rust. But, as said above, under $1k is silly cheap. Just don’t put much into repairs on it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    Any vehicle that runs is worth $1k. You don’t say how many miles but if it’s got less than 150k miles you could probably expect to get a few more years out of it. Your biggest problem would probably be nickel and dime stuff like shocks, bushings, switchgear, maybe an AC condenser. I’d change all fluids and keep an eye out for leaks.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Yeah....mileage is key. If the family member bought it new, ask them about the service regiment. $1,000 is a bargain. But, if you get it and find out it needs a new radiator and/or major suspension work and/or and engine rebuild, that purchase price is going to look minuscule in comparison.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

Is a 1998 Explorer 4 DR XLT 4wd a good first car, i can get it for under 1k from a family member. I CAN afford a decent corolla but would prefer to save the money. Is it safe enough? Insurenace isnt going to he expensive. I dont care mich a bout fuel because of a shorter commute.

I'd get the Corolla.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/1998-ford-explorer-rollover.shtml#:~:text=February 17, 2019 — A 1998,the SUV rolled over twice.&text=The jury awarded Smith more,$100 million in punitive damages.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    benjaminh said:

I'd get the Corolla.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/1998-ford-explorer-rollover.shtml#:~:text=February 17, 2019 — A 1998,the SUV rolled over twice.&text=The jury awarded Smith more,$100 million in punitive damages.
    Wasn’t part of that blamed on Firestone?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,546
    I don't recall who decided it, or exactly why, but Ford recommended overly low inflation pressures which was a big part of the problem.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2020
    It was a combination of things that made the first generation of Explorer less than ideal—bad tires, poor suspension, poor stability, and a weak roof. Starting in 2002 with the all-new design it was much safer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer#Rollover_and_Firestone_Tire_controversy

"240 deaths and 3,000 catastrophic injuries resulted from the combination of early generation Explorers and Firestone tires.[17] The tire tread separated and the vehicle had an unusually high rate of rollover crash as a result. Both companies' reputations were tarnished.[79] This event led to a disruption in the 90-year-old Ford/Firestone partnership.

Rollover risk is inherently higher in truck-based vehicles, like the Explorer, than in ordinary passenger cars, as modification for bulky 4-wheel-drive hardware requires increases in height to avoid compromising ground clearance (raising the center of gravity), while a short wheelbase further reduces stability.[17] The previous Bronco II had already been cited by Consumer Reports for rollover tendencies in turns.[17]....

Explorer rollover rates, at the time of the controversy, were higher than any of its competitors. While Firestone turned out millions of sub-standard and potentially defective tires, and was the initial cause of loss of control on many Ford Explorer Firestone tire tread separation rollovers, the blame shifted towards Ford for a defectively designed and unstable vehicle .[81]"
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    benjaminh said:

It was a combination of things that made the first generation of Explorer less than ideal—bad tires, poor suspension, poor stability, and a weak roof. Starting in 2002 with the all-new design it was much safer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer#Rollover_and_Firestone_Tire_controversy

"240 deaths and 3,000 catastrophic injuries resulted from the combination of early generation Explorers and Firestone tires.[17] The tire tread separated and the vehicle had an unusually high rate of rollover crash as a result. Both companies' reputations were tarnished.[79] This event led to a disruption in the 90-year-old Ford/Firestone partnership.

Rollover risk is inherently higher in truck-based vehicles, like the Explorer, than in ordinary passenger cars, as modification for bulky 4-wheel-drive hardware requires increases in height to avoid compromising ground clearance (raising the center of gravity), while a short wheelbase further reduces stability.[17] The previous Bronco II had already been cited by Consumer Reports for rollover tendencies in turns.[17]....

Explorer rollover rates, at the time of the controversy, were higher than any of its competitors. While Firestone turned out millions of sub-standard and potentially defective tires, and was the initial cause of loss of control on many Ford Explorer Firestone tire tread separation rollovers, the blame shifted towards Ford for a defectively designed and unstable vehicle .[81]"

For a thousand buck deal I wouldn’t care if it had the stability of a unicycle.