Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• regnarregnar Member Posts: 10
    If anyone is interested the problem was solved by the dealer. They replaced a part called the >combination switch<. It controls both the turn signals and the 4ways.
  • regnarregnar Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone towed a fifth wheel with a Quad cab and if so what hitch did you use.
  • dakotaman1dakotaman1 Member Posts: 14
    For some time now my 97 Dodge Dakota has been displaying the ever-vague "Check Engine" light. My last inspection (May 2005) indicated a possibly faulty PCV valve. Simple Question:
    On the 97 Dakota, does the PCV valve have a sensor that trigger the warning message? Or must it be coming from some other cause?

p.s. I have heard also that the Dakota is notorious for displaying these messages for possibly no valid reason at all, and that they may be often be "ignored".

Any comments are appreciated!
  • bibbib Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like we have similar problems. Only the right brake light worked on my 97 Dakota. I replaced the bulb in the brake light housing on the back of the cab and now I have no brake lights. I tested the voltage at each location and get 12 volts everywhere but the left rear. I'm so confused! I hope someone can offer a solution.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The PCV valve operates directly off of intake manifold vacuum and does not have a specific sensor for it. Diagnostic trouble codes are not displayed without a reason, even on your vintage Dakota. There are certain category fault that initiate a "Check Engine" lamp but after a number of correct operation cycles of the engine they will clear and the Check Engine Lamp will switch off.

Have you checked for the presence of an active diagnostic trouble code in the display?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • independentjlgindependentjlg Member Posts: 8
    You can have it rebuilt or you can also have the whole system flushed out....
    Does anyone know if the Trottle Position Sensor can be adjusted on a 1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2 litter

Thanks
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I do not beleive it is "adjustable" by design... but if you research it on the internet, you will find a write-up that describes how to elongate the screw-holes so it can be adjusted. As I recall, there is a specific voltage-reading that has been found to be desireable at idle-position which seems to run the best.
  • dodgedakotadodgedakota Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Club Cab 4X2 with V- 6 and 4 speed a auto trans. I can also the say that the truck shimmies over bumps. It almost seem as if it carries out the original bump or shimmy. Its kind of seems to make up its own bumps going down the road. I now have 19,000 mile on it. It has been in for a rear diff. rebuild TIMES, Its start to whine and the bearings go. Wonder if this is part of the shimmy problem, causing bear to go. Or is there something out of balance.
    Thanks It's Just that my truck is causing bursts of fuel from the injectos and has an unstable idle so I put a code reader through it and it said that the TPS input is above the maximum acceptable voltage so I changed the sensor and it's causing problems so I heard on some cars it can be adjusted... :sick:
    It sounds like you need a major tune up...
    You need to change your starter because those are the symptoms of a bad starter eventually it won't start anymore either that or check y our battery voltage.
    Well it is a lot of miles but I had a 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport V6 with 255,000 miles it had a few leaks but it still ran good with no problems then I bought a 1997 Dodge dakota with 50,000 miles and it's giving me a lot of problems...
    This is an update on my 2000 Dak. With nearly 70K miles on it, the Rear axle pinion-seal started to leak. This happened durning the worst-possible time. I was on a 6hour round-trip to pick up a sofa for my daughter. The entire trip was on the interstate at highway speeds.

Now the GOOD news -- Most of you may recall that I am running REDLINE lubricants in all the gearcases (front axle, rear axle, xfer case and manual tranny)
    The loss of lube in the rear-axle did NOT harm the expensive gears and bearings in any way.

I have since replaced the seal and re-filled with REDLINE gear lube. I chatted with the REDLINE dealer when I purchesed the lube and told him the story about losing the gear-lube on a long trip with an load in the back. He mentioned that he has seen racecars running REDLINE in the rear-axle that have lost the fluid during the race... no damage to them either. REDLINE is so far superiour to most other lubricnats that it protects where other lubes cannot.

I cannot say enough good things about REDLINE lubes ( http://www.redlineoil.com/ ) Not only did they give me 3 -to- 4 MPG better fuel milage, they also saved me an expensive rebuild of my rear-axle.
    Hi Dusty,

Thanks for your reply, and for clarifying that the PCV valve doesn't have a dedicated sensor. No, I haven't checked for the presence of an active diagnostic code because I don't have the interface to do so (Dodge cleverly has kept that out of owners' hands in order to force us to dealerships). Wish that I did have the interface; I do have a Fluke meter.

I also heard that discoonnecting the battery for a few minutes, and restarting should allow the on-board computer to reset. I believe I've tried this and the Check Engine light persisted.

Any other thoughts/advice? :cry:
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    My 2001 4.7 auto Quad has a cold starting problem? When engine starts, rpms go to about
    2500 to 3000 rpms, there's a pinging sound and the throttle hunts up and down for a little until I put it in gear. After motor has warmed up, the problem doesn't return until truck
    has cooled down overnight. I have new plugs, cleaned the throttle body about 6 months ago. Has anyone else had this problem? I plan on taking it to the dealer.
    I suspect the TPS?
    My truck has just turned 60K miles, still on the orginal GY Eagle LS tires and brakes.
    I figure I'll need tires soon and I'll put the same tire back on.
    Thanks,
    Clean your throttlebody. (including the IAS - Intake Air Solenoid)

I clean mine at least annually. It is easy to do and the idle quality is noticably improved.

Also, look for an vacuum leak.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    Thanks, will try that first.
  • firedomefiredome Member Posts: 1
    My 92 Dakota 3.9L V-6,120000 mi., auto w/OD hesitates then backfires through the intake when I accelerate while driving between 45-65mph. If i kick it down to increase RPM it goes.This doesn't happen constantly .Also the air vent doors close inside the cab(I can hear them shut) when I tramp on it.Code reads O2 system. Egr seems ok (I cleaned it) PCV good, fuel tank vent workingI'm lost,please help. Thanks,FIREDOME
    Actually, Chrysler's the only one that does allow you to see active codes.

Starting with the ignition switch in the "off" position, rotate the ignition key as follows (do not go to the "start" position):

on-off-on-off-on

Observe the oddometer's vacuum flouresent display and wait a few seconds. If you have an active code ("P" codes) they will be displayed in sequence. After all active codes are displayed the word "done" will be displayed.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty,

Thanks for your post, and the news that I can in fact access the codes. The bad news is that your procedure didn't reveal the codes. A coworker found this clever site:
    http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/95/45/

which had a procedure that seemed to work:
    "To get the codes, put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number, then show the error codes starting with P."

The display did not "go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number" but it did display two 3-digit numbers (one after the other):

Unfortunately, neither of these codes is in the long list posted at the above link!!

Have you any insight into '950' or '999' ?
    Do you have a better list of such codes?

Thanks.
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    On the way home from work today, my blower stopped working on my 02 QC. It's only the lowest setting that failed. Looks like the blower resistor. I looked under the dash this evening and only saw two sets of wires around the blower motor - 2 wires going directly to the blower motor and five wires going into a large vertical connector on the plenum box. Is this vertical connector the blower resistor? Thanks.
    Blower resistor is located inside the air plenum. (the airflow helps keep it cool because it can run cherry-red hot) The blower resistor has one wire more than the number of fanspeeds available on the switch.

I beleive on your 2002, the blower-resistor is accessed from behind the glovbox.
  • grannygreygrannygrey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota 4 wheel drive truck. I towed it behind my motorhome on my vacation. After visiting, I hooked it back up to my motorhome, but couldn't get it to stay in neutral so I could tow it again. I pushed the transfer button in, but it would not go into neutral. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! grannygrey
  • jesfdzjesfdz Member Posts: 1
    condensation water from a/c leaking into passenger side of cab . took it onto the dealership they said the air deflector was out of place all they did was reposition it. It still seems to be leaking.I think it is something inside the blower.
    When you performed the procedure that I described to you, did you get a "P done" in the oddomer display? If you did, there were no codes stored. When you perform this test the ignition switch transitions from on-to-off and off-to-on must be smooth and evenly timed in moderate succession. Going too fast or too slow will confuse the PCM logic. In addition, all doors should be closed and no other accessories or lights be operating.

What you did perform is the Instrument Cluster test.

The 950 code is "The instrument cluster is not receiving an ABS lamp-on message from the CAB." Basically, there is a problem in the anti-lock braking system and the "ABS" lamp is not illuminating, or the anti-lock brake controller (CAB) failed to give a self-test "ABS" lamp on signal when the engine was first started.

The 999 code is "An error has been discovered." This is just a verification code that there's a problem. This was in effect generated by the 950 fault.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • datagurudataguru Member Posts: 95
    Bruce,

glad all the gears and bearings are OK. Another solid testimonial for REDLINE.

dataguru
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    Replaced the blower resistor on my 02 QC today. It's held in the bottom of the plenum box by 2 - 8 mm hex head screws. You have to drop the lower air duct a little bit to gain access to the leftmost screw. The new blower resistor appears to be a much more durable design than the original one.
  • ron342ron342 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys (and maybe gals) - I'm a reasonably competant amateur mechanic and replaced the front calipers on my 92 Dak. 4 wh dr- traded old ones when I got the new , used my old fairly new pads but the new ones drag on the inside of the rim pretty badly, took them back to the parts store and they gave me another set - looked the same, by now the old ones were gone. Seems like the outside of the caliper is cocked up a little so that the outer upper part of the caliper body drags on the rim - factory mags. Took them off and looked good to see if I screwed up but don't think so - I think the old ones had a bushing of some sort which fit over the stainless mounting bolts and inside the rubber bolt boot but the new calipers only had the bolt directly inside the rubber bushing - any ideas??? Thanks
  • bocephusnjbocephusnj Member Posts: 4
    gas gauge some times just goes to E and can go back up right away or a few minutes later or next day, and lights on display for headlight switch goe out too but at same time, have tapped on dash and dipsly lights for head lights witch come back on, prob a loose connection but both seem to happen at same time. anyone know if the gas gauge is wired thru the head light switch, just ordered a new switch to try on error fixing
  • bocephusnjbocephusnj Member Posts: 4
    replaced my for the second time, only $17 at dealer and is located in the duct work just above the passaenger's feet area, follow wires , they plug into the bottom and is NOT BEHIND GLOVE BOX, dealer even told me it was behind the glove box
    2 screws and is very easy to replace, buy two at a time and keep one in the glove box, cheap fix but very annoying upon breaking
  • 2dodgefamily12dodgefamily1 Member Posts: 1
    Help...I am trying to remove the bezel that covers the cd/radio etc. to get access to the cigar lighter power feed (to power a radar detector and revolving blue light -- I am a volunteer FF).

Problem is, that after removing the 2 bottom screws, the bezel still won't budge. Are there "hidden screws" or releases?
    :confuse:
    Does ANYone know what codes 950 or 999 mean on the '97 Dakota?

I hear about "P" codes, but I see no such letter on the (odometer) readout.

Does anyone have a list of complete codes for this Dakota?

Thanks.
    Looks like you missed my response in post #3621.

When you performed the procedure that I described to you, did you get a "P done" in the oddometer display? If you did, there were no codes stored. When you perform this test the ignition switch transitions from on-to-off and off-to-on must be smooth and evenly timed in moderate succession. Going too fast or too slow will confuse the PCM logic. In addition, all doors should be closed and no other accessories or lights be operating.

What you did perform is the Instrument Cluster test.

The 950 code is "The instrument cluster is not receiving an ABS lamp-on message from the CAB." Basically, there is a problem in the anti-lock braking system and the "ABS" lamp is not illuminating, or the anti-lock brake controller (CAB) failed to give a self-test "ABS" lamp on signal when the engine was first started.

The 999 code is "An error has been discovered." This is just a verification code that there's a problem. This was in effect generated by the 950 fault.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • moaboveparmoabovepar Member Posts: 11
    Hello all, does anyone know how to make an '02 QC 4.7L auto go higher than 100mph without cutting out on you? Just curious to know.

Thanks.
    Jody
    Yes, seems like I somehow missed your 9/1 post - sorry.

Thanks all the same, Dusty - that helped clear up a bit on the 950 code.

I went back and - again - tried to elicit the infamous P-code. I used your instructions to the letter - even closed doors and shut down all accessories. ZIPPO!

Off-On-Off-On-Off-On

All I see in the odometer is a readout of my mileage. And the cussin' Check Engine light is on (Actually, yesterday it was OFF all day!).

I wish I could figure out just what the trick is to reveal the P-code. Can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. Seems very temperamental ...

Is it possible I won't/can't get a P-code, and that the Check Engine is actually from the (very minor in my book) 950 ABS fault? Just a thought ...

tommy
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    It depends on how bad you want to erase the speed limiter. Superchips tuner #3715 will do the job for around $400. It will also enhance the performance of your engine depending on the settings you choose. Higher performance means higher octane requirements. You are lucky to get 100mph. All I can get is 92.
  • stevem1961stevem1961 Member Posts: 13
    Hey! I'm new to this forum and new to Dakota trucks, so here's my problem. I recently bought a 1997 Dodge Dakota 3.9L with high mileage (162,000). The truck looked and ran like it was very well maintained. I decided to do a little maintenance and change the oil and filter plus the transmission filter. Now for some reason I'm experiencing a huge loss of power and an occasional backfire that seems to be coming back up through the throttle body. I think the problem occured about two weeks after the oil and filter change so it may be unrelated? The power loss seems to happen after my truck has ran just long enough to warm up. The only code displayed is # 950? I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas? :sick:
    stevem1961
  • adamzdakotaadamzdakota Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Dakota SXT package, and have just broken 38,000 miles on it. Of course, at about the 36,800 mark, after the warranty ran out, something had to go wrong. What the problem is is that my climate control system is screwed up. When I put the fan setting on the first 3 speed settings, nothing happens. Then, when I put it on the 4th and highest setting, the system works as it should. I was told by a dealer that it is going to be 80 just to see what the problem is, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the cause of this may be. Any information would help. Thanks.
    Common problem with Dakotas. It is the resister block for the fan. The first three speeds of the fan are resistor controlled. The high speed power does not go through the resistors. You can get the resistor block from the dealer for about $10 and change it yourself. It is located in the A/C plenum under the dash on the passenger side. Look for a vertically mounted plug with five wires. You may or may not have to move something to get access to the fasteners for the resistor block. It's easier to take out the resistor before trying to disconnect the electrical plug.
    Just a little more information for ya. I checked the fuel pressure today and found it to be around 47psig. While my truck was idling it sounded like it was loading up and only running on a couple of cylinders. A quick flip of the throttle cleared it out but it would idle back and load up again after a couple of minutes. Could this be caused by a plugged up converter? :sick:
    Does anyone know how to check a catalytic converter. A friend of mine said to check the temperature across the converter. The inlet temperature was 348* and the outlet temp. was 798* and was slowly climbing. (Checked with a Fluke touch probe not an infrared). Do these temps sound normal? :confuse:
    Hmmm. I'm begining to wonder now if the "P" code diagnostics started in '97. I thought they did when they went to the new instrument panel design.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • cnegleycnegley Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me how to turn the "check 4wdr" light off. The tech at Dodge says there's no code, nothing wrong, and can't turm the light off either.
    Carl
    Looks like a trip to the repair shop may be in order. I found out that when my truck is idling and starts loading up it sounds like it's trying to suck the hood right down through the intake. I found a small vacuum hose just laying under the breather where it connects to the throttle body, but I can't find any open ports. It's about 10" by 1/4" and was laying on the drivers side. Any ideas? Things that make you go Hmmm? :confuse:
    cnegly, If you have 4wd I haven't a clue. If you have a 2wd there is a Service Bulletin to correct the problem. The SB number is 08-032-00 REV A. It applies to 2001 Dakotas built prior to 10/13/00. The corrective action is to replace the HVAC control assembly. I don't know what the HVAC Control has to do with 4wd but I replaced mine and corrected the problem. The Control cost me $150 from an online dealer in July of '03.
  • gregsdakotagregsdakota Member Posts: 1
    im trying to take off the knee bolster to make a flasher relay change out easier. i took out the three screws at the bottom. my haynes book says to use a dull bladed tool to dislodge the clips at tjhe top of the bolster. all i have managed to do is make gouges in the plastic. is there a trick to taking this thing off?? please help!! thanks
  • cblack1cblack1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 01 Dakota 4X4 with 69,000 miles on it. I live where it is very warm. Whenever I start my truck, it revs up and down until I finally "blip" it to make it stop. What could be the problems, and is it something I can fix on my own?
  • sethcsethc Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 Dakota Club Cab 4.7L V8 - Recently it quit while I was driving, lost all gauges and would not start again. It was running great prior. I had also just filled up with gas - now when you turn key it will cycle then gas gauge light comes on, check engine light, and check gauges light also the odometer will blink four times then reads "no bus". I tried to read the error code by turning key to on and pressing the odometer reset button on then letting it go. I received codes 920,921 & 999. I called the dealer to find out what these codes mean and of course they did not know. Does anyone know what they mean?? Has anyone else had a similar problem?? I would appreciate any help!image
  • cblack1cblack1 Member Posts: 6
    I have had this problem for a while now. My 01 Dakota 4X4 quadcab's stock single CD/radio flashes on and off, and then sometimes the radio will come on eventually. If I want to hear a CD, I have to turn it off, put a CD in, then turn it back on, and it will play it no problem. If I try to put in a CD when the radio is flashing on and off, the CD goes in intermittently, and then doesn't play. Is this a simple fuse problem or something?
    I tell you, I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle since I bought it brand new. :lemon:
This discussion has been closed.