Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Has anyone has issues with their 2005 Subaru Baja and intermittent starting?

Anne67Anne67 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2021 in Subaru
The last 2 months my Baja will start sometimes on the first try, the second try, fourth try, or not at all. It sounds like the engine is cranking and trying to turn over, but eventually doesn’t and it just makes a clicking noise. A local auto shop said it was a bad starter relay and replaced it with a used one (they called the dealership in town who then said that part was discontinued) - hence the used part. After this used part was put in, the Baja is still making the clicking noise and sometimes not starting, which led to maybe it’s an electrical issue? Has anyone else has this experience? Any solutions? Anything will help

Answers

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    How often does the problem occur? From there are there any conditions that make it more likely to happen such as the weather or how long the car needs to sit before trying to start it? These are the things a technician needs to know in order to setup testing and be ready to do diagnostics once they get to experience "the" problem. "The" is in quotes there because cranking and not starting versus not cranking are two different issues and would each have specific possible base causes that have to be identified by first the base system they are affecting and then someone has to prove the what and why. No-one will just know what is wrong, the only thing you will get without testing is a guess.
  • Anne67Anne67 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    I’ve noticed it more when the weather gets colder. However I’ve had it sit for a couple days in below freezing weather and it starts up just fine. Even when I take it to other auto shops and let them hang on to it for a few days, it will start just fine and will have no issues.

I just know that it’s cranking and not starting
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The best you can do at this time since it isn't repeatable enough for a tech to start testing while it is acting up is to see if a local shop would be willing to be available and come to you as fast as possible when it happens. When it isn't starting, how long does it need to sit before it does start? That's important because that is going to be how much time they will have to get there and do as much testing as they can before it starts.