Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado 1500 fuel pump replacement made easy

cgreenhalghsrcgreenhalghsr Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet

I recently purchased a 1999 Chevy Silverado and the fuel pump quit within a week. Going the the internet I find it is a very common problem. One man said he went though 3 pumps in 30,000 miles. I love the truck and plan to keep it so connived a simple solution to changing the pump if and when it goes bad. Normally you have to drain the gas out,(the fuel pump always quits right after you fill the tank!) drop the tank which involves 3 men and a lift. Thats why dealers get $300 for doing it. I have to do it by myself and I'm 70 years old so it was time to use my head and outsmart Detroits trap. So after careful measuring I cut a square 7" wide by 12" long out of the bed with my 4 1/2" die grinder. 6" back from the front of the bed and 14" in from the side. I riveted strips of sheet metal to the sides of this piece and it sets right back in its original hole with sheet metal screws to hold in in place. Changing the fuel pump takes 20 minutes working at my slow pace and doesn't require draining that full tank or getting dirt in my eyes.laying on the concrete. Auto Zone gets $250 for a fuel pump, I got mine on line for $100 from Discount Auto Parts.com No shipping fees, just wait 3 to 7 days. This solution should work on any truck with a similar tank/pump combination.

Comments

• Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381

Good show as long as one doesn't mind the patch.

FWIW I did this on an old beater. Who cares about a patch?

• Options

Mine is also a 15 year old beater but my storage box covers the patch. Mine was made easier because I had already taken out the 8 bolts holding the bed on and slid the bed back onto the tires, giving me clear access to the fuel tank. I determined never to have to do that again!That made it easy for me to look under the bed and locate crossmembers to avoid. I covered the gas tank with a sopping wet towel to stop any stray sparks. If I had found any trace or odor of gasoline I wouldn't have used the chop saw. There is 4 to 5" of clearance between the floor of the bed and the gas tank so cutting the tank would not be a problem. You could also direct a stream of water from a garden hose over the tank by reaching in over the tire. If the sparks still bother you then mark out the area to be cut out, drill a 3/8" hole in each corner, and cut it out with a skill saw using a metal cutting blade. Before disconnecting the fuel lines, unplug the two electrical connections and start the vehicle. It will run for a minute and die but it will relieve the pressure in the system so you don't get a bath when you disconnect the line.

• Options

These measurements are for a standard cab Silverado with an 8' bed. Other beds would have to be checked for an appropriate cut-out, regardless of the hat, it still has a rabbit in it.

• Options
    dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299

I understand that if you refill your fuel tank when it gets to half full it helps presenve your fuel pump. I have a friend who replaced his on a '97 three times and since he has watched his fuel gauge he hasn't replaced it again./

• Options
    SilkrickSilkrick Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the cut dimensions for a stepside box?
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited August 2019
    There are two ways to do that repair without doing any damage to the vehicle. The first way is to drop the tank. The second way is to lift the bed of the truck, and it's important to know that it does not have to come all the way off to replace the fuel pump. What we do is loosen the rear two bed to frame bolts about three or four turns, and remove the other six bed to frame bolts. Disconnect the fuel tank filler hose from the bedside. Now the bed can be lifted dump truck style exposing the fuel pump on the top of the tank.
  • Options
    olerainmakerolerainmaker Member Posts: 1
    Is the 6 inch and 14 inch truck bed cuts to the center of the cut (hole) or the edge of the cut?? On my standard 8 ft bed truck