Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Equinox 2.4L engine problems since I bought the car

equinoxregretequinoxregret Member Posts: 1
edited May 2017 in Chevrolet
What really aggravates me about this is that GM and Chevrolet know dang well that the 2010-2011 2.4L engine had total garbage pins on them, causing timing chain problems which lead them to stretch and make noise, which in very short time destroys the entire engine.

If you're reading this post, you know what I'm talking about. It also affects hundreds of thousands of other cars, such as the 2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse, 2011 Buick Regal, and 2010-2011 GMC Terrain.

They've issued plenty of bulletins on this - see, for example, 12313C. There are so many other very-related problems with actuators (see 11195A), manifolds (see 14882), and the cam sensor valves (see 15285; 14710, and 15810).

I've taken my poor decision to buy this car like a man, and haven't posted until now. I paid Chevy for everything, waited many days without transportation, and lived with the constant fear that the car would stop on the highway, killing me and others. All for what?

With 90K miles on it now, my car is in the shop for the 8th time, and they want $1,457.00 to put the new chain/gaskets/tensioner on. Of course, they don't know just how damaged the car is, so this is just yet another band-aid short of putting an entirely new engine in.

The dealer (who I won't name yet) isn't doing me any favors either. I brought the car in on Monday morning, and they didn't even CALL me until Thursday morning. When I called on Wednesday, they told me that "6 people called in sick" that day.

Why should I pay them? Why should I even think of getting another GM product again?

Comments

• Options
    kee0125kee0125 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious 
    did a service Stabilitrak and engine power reduce message appear?
  • Options
    austinloveraustinlover Member Posts: 1
    yeah timing chain went at 80k on 2011 equinox and totalled the engine and I totalled the car. Solenoid valves went at 70K. Really liked the car but they really messed this one up.
  • Options
    Stevens03Stevens03 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2011 chevy equinox, 3 days ago. I test drove the car and it worked perfectly fine, with no lights on the dash. I bought the car outright, after test driving it. I left the dealership and got 2 minutes down the road, before the equinox started slowing itself down, and then coming to a stop and shaking, and then it died. I waited a few minutes, started the car up and revved it up. I took it back to the dealership with no issues on the way there. I didnt shut it off, and the guy who sold it too me, got into the driver seat and we took it for a drive, and also no problems. They told me that they put a O2 sensor on it, and hour before I got there and it was a hiccup. Well, i took it to the gas station and turned it off to put gas in it..... it did it again. I literally spent 5 minutes trying to get it driving. I called the dealership back and he wouldnt answer, and then texted me saying he left. It drove perfectly fine, after I turned it back on, revved it up a couple times. I finally got home and had it scanned. It threw 18 codes, and I personally fixed the MAF sensor the next day. It's still acting the same way. It will start slowing itself down, and shaking, and then dying. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    JoeseffJoeseff Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has , she was driving her 2010 equinox a few minutes ago and it shut off it will turn over for a few seconds but will not start now , it just cranks and stops
  • Options
    Mdahl669Mdahl669 Member Posts: 5
    kee0125 said:

Just curious 
    did a service Stabilitrak and engine power reduce message appear?

We've had that happen twice on ours where it says reduced engine power. It was the gas pedal they replaced both times. Not to mention we've been through 2 new jasper motors and probably getting ready to have a 3rd put in due to oil consumption issues.
  • Options
    Mdahl669Mdahl669 Member Posts: 5
    Stevens03 said:

I bought my 2011 chevy equinox, 3 days ago. I test drove the car and it worked perfectly fine, with no lights on the dash. I bought the car outright, after test driving it. I left the dealership and got 2 minutes down the road, before the equinox started slowing itself down, and then coming to a stop and shaking, and then it died. I waited a few minutes, started the car up and revved it up. I took it back to the dealership with no issues on the way there. I didnt shut it off, and the guy who sold it too me, got into the driver seat and we took it for a drive, and also no problems. They told me that they put a O2 sensor on it, and hour before I got there and it was a hiccup. Well, i took it to the gas station and turned it off to put gas in it..... it did it again. I literally spent 5 minutes trying to get it driving. I called the dealership back and he wouldnt answer, and then texted me saying he left. It drove perfectly fine, after I turned it back on, revved it up a couple times. I finally got home and had it scanned. It threw 18 codes, and I personally fixed the MAF sensor the next day. It's still acting the same way. It will start slowing itself down, and shaking, and then dying. Has anyone else had this problem?

Does it say reduced engine power when it does this? When ours did this it was the gas pedal that needed replaced. It happened twice to us.
  • Options
    GMproblemGMproblem Member Posts: 1

I've heard of so many people having issues with the 2.4L ecotec engine (including myself) and GM finding ways around helping anyone. How do we bring this higher? There was a massive class action lawsuit in the states due to these defective engines..