Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

reliable used vehicles would you buy?

leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
edited May 2021 in General
Hello everyone! I haven't been here in about 10 years or so.
I am in sticker shock at the price of both new and used cars! I guess I've been out of the market too long!
Cars prices, both new and used, seem crazy high to me. My salary sure hasn't kept pace with the price increases of cars that's for sure!
I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata, manual transmission, with 130,000 miles that been fairly reliable.
How do you decide whether to buy used or new? For example, if you had around $25K would you try to buy something new, like a compact car or get a used larger, nicer vehicle that's 3-4 year old?
My wife has 2016 Rav4 and will tend to like Toyota's due to their reliability, but lately they also seem to be having some issues across their model line-up with fuel pump issues.
Are used Toyota's still worth consideration?
I'm a little leery of cvt and turbo engines but the seems to be trend of the future along with hybrid cars.
My wife and I tend to keep are cars until the "wheels fall off" when they're around 10-14 years with 150k-200k.
Appreciate any feedback you more experience car people can give me.

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,647
    Used Toyota’s are still solid. As you found there is a (hopefully temporary) price bubble because of new inventory shortages. So if your current car is ok, probably makes a lot more $ sense to hold it until maybe year end. That probably doesn’t have all that much value and isn’t likely to depreciate too much!

Bigger question, first figure out what you need. Body style, size, features. Use that to narrow down some options. You also are good candidates to buy new. Consider a Kia or Hyundai since they tend to be good values, and have long warranties.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    In the current market, it sounds like your 2012 Sonata with that rare manual transmission is a keeper!
    As you've probably heard, a shortage of computer chips has meant that production of new cars has been slashed, causing the prices of both new and used cars to soar.

These days probably most good cars with maintenance and a bit of luck can go c. 12 years and 150k+ miles without major problems, and since you're thinking is along the same lines you might keep that car for another couple of years.

When it comes time to buy, however, my personal experiences have made me think that buying used is sometimes a false economy. Cheap older used cars often have one thing after another thing go wrong that costs a lot and is a major hassle. Recent used Toyotas and Hondas, especially if they are "certified pre-owned," cost almost as much as a brand-new one, and so you might as well just get the new one. Hyundai is probably almost as reliable and long-lasting as a Honda or Toyota, and as you know they have a great warranty. Plus now Hyundai offers the first three years of maintenance free.

A 2021 Sonata Hybrid is rated to get double the mpg of your 2012 Sonata, which would save you about $800 a year in gas. Since sedan sales are slow, you might still be able to get a good deal on a new Sonata, whether gas or hybrid. Hyundai is currently offering 0% for 60 months on the Sonata. Almost all new vehicles these days also have AndroidAuto/AppleCarplay, which provides navigation, the ability to send a short text while keeping your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road, etc.

Welcome back!
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,976
    Used vs new depends on the brand and sometimes model. Used Toyotas are almost never worth it. Just buy new. I'm going to start sounding like a broken record, but CPO Volvo S60s are still a good buy right now, IMHO, especially considering the warranty they come with. As others have said, if you don't have a need right now, stick with what you have until things improve, hopefully in the Fall.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Thank you all for your replies!
    My mechanic told me about the chip shortages and how he thinks it will take about 6 months for things to get back to normal. So, I can easily hold onto my car since it still run reliably.

Yes, depending on what Toyota models you look at used: Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner, Highlander are crazy expensive even used!!! My wife bought her Rav4 when it was three years old and got a good deal. One can also get a good deal on used Camry as well.

Hyundai's are worth a consideration but the way everyone seems to put them down, I was willing to look at something else.

Since vehicles are a depreciating asset, I put priority on reliability and safety along with cheap to maintain/fix. Then comes gas mileage and ride comfort. All without breaking the bank or taking out a car loan.