Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

I didn’t think you could get the Mitsu 3.0 with a stick in the Duster. I thought it only came with the 4 speed auto.

I like the Mustang.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    That LeBaron convertible must be something. First-gen K-cars were well-received at the time but really needed the mid-80s "Super K" refresh to give them some needed updates. I imagine driving one of these now must be a real throwback. The old angled-slab K-car dash takes me back.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Speaking of period Mopar, This nearly extinct thing came through my feed today - seems like a bargain, you just don't see these anymore.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,538
    looks clean. and cheap. Heck, if it was local and a stick, I would buy it to beat around in!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2021
    fintail said:

Speaking of period Mopar, This nearly extinct thing came through my feed today - seems like a bargain, you just don't see these anymore.

Always liked those back in the day. Probably haven't seen one in 20 years and looking at it now my mind has trouble wrapping itself around the fact that cars looked like that once upon a time. Futuristic in a alternate reality kind of way.
    edited September 2021

My mom had an 85 Charger very similar to that. Dad had an 86 Shelby Charger. Both were black.

Mom had hers for 6-7 years. Paint came off in sheets and the AC was repaired at least 4 times.

Dad totaled his and replaced it with an 87 Shadow ES turbo (two door) all loaded up. That was actually a really nice car.

My Uncle ran a Dodge dealer so in the 80s the family was heavy on the Mopar.

Those Omni 024s and Plymouth TC3s were everywhere for a while in the early '80s. Apparently if you equipped them with the right engine and suspension options they could be fun to drive, at least for the times. I don't remember ever sitting in one.

As for the look, they weren't bad compared to what Ford devised as a competitor:

The early EXPs were pretty ugly. They got better once they got the composite headlights.

I think those are stock wheelcovers on the TC3 too, I seem to remember them, another oddly futuristic design. At that price, if I had endless funds and a big building, I'd rescue things like that and end up with an Adam-like fleet of oddballs. I am sure it is hilariously bad by modern standards, but it should be saved.

I always called the early EXP "frogface". Those wheels were also offered on Tempo at least for MY 1984.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,660
    stickguy said:

I kinda like the Duster. just needs to be cheaper to be a throwaway toy!

Ad say 3.0L Chrysler engine. Mitsubishi made that engine.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50 said:

Yes you are correct. If only Mitsu made the transmission behind it too, instead of the self destructing 4 speed Chrysler.

Actually that 3.0 wasn’t all that great of an engine. By 100K most of them needed valve seals. In the mid 90s there were Caravans, Voyagers, Spirits and Acclaims all blowing blue smoke upon take off.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Yes you are correct. If only Mitsu made the transmission behind it too, instead of the self destructing 4 speed Chrysler.

Actually that 3.0 wasn’t all that great of an engine. By 100K most of them needed valve seals. In the mid 90s there were Caravans, Voyagers, Spirits and Acclaims all blowing blue smoke upon take off.

Valves liked to tick as well. Keep oil in them and they run and run.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited September 2021
    That’s why you get the manual. Avoid the fragile ATs!

tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

I sure hope not since I have a modified version of that in my Sebring. I know the earlier ones were noted for that.

I had that same Mitsu engine in my Cirrus and it went to 130k with no oil burning. On the same car the Chrysler transmission only needed the shift selonoids replaced over that same mileage.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2021

The Cirrus (or any of the cloud cars) never got the Mitsu 3.0 that I know if. It was a 2.5 V6

I believe like you said they are all related. I think the only version that suffered from oil burning was the original 3.0

tjc78 said:

The Cirrus (or any of the cloud cars) never got the Mitsu 3.0 that I know if. It was a 2.5 V6

I believe like you said they are all related. I think the only version that suffered from oil burning was the original 3.0

Yeah, that’s what I was saying, the 2.5 in the cloud cars was modified from the 3.0 in order to fit the cab forward engine bay. I think those 6g7 engines came in every displacement from 2.0L to 3.8L

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I can't do Chrysler again, whether it's called Jeep, or RAM, or Plymouth or Dodge or Eagle, I just cannot!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    andres3 said:

I can't do Chrysler again, whether it's called Jeep, or RAM, or Plymouth or Dodge or Eagle, I just cannot!

Says the man with 3 VWs. :D

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited September 2021
    qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

Says the man with 3 VWs. :D
    And all 3 of them are as reliable as any Honda :smile:

Maybe even more reliable in some ways. I'll grant you that it appears our Tiguan is defying the odds since I don't hear great things coming out of CR about them.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    MB is pretty. from back when a mercedes was still a Mercedes.

Love the color on the MB

The Futura is just begging for a hopped up EFI 302 from a late fox body Stang. It is done all the time, but just makes for a great sleeper.

That 200 inline 6 is a slug to say the least.

Did Ford offer the 250 six in the Futura/Fairmont. It was marginally better. What was it with Ford’s sixes that they were such dogs compared to Chrysler’s 225 slant six or GM’s Chevy 250 six, or even AMC sixes? The AMC 258 six had a little perk to it. Don’t get me wrong, none of them were quick.

sda said:

Did Ford offer the 250 six in the Futura/Fairmont. It was marginally better. What was it with Ford’s sixes that they were such dogs compared to Chrysler’s 225 slant six or GM’s Chevy 250 six, or even AMC sixes? The AMC 258 six had a little perk to it. Don’t get me wrong, none of them were quick.

Off the top of my head, I only remember the 200 ci six in those cars. We had the 250 in our '74 Maverick and it was pretty gutless. I think I read something that the intake/exhaust breathing was pretty constricted due to the way the head and intake/exhaust manifolds were designed for ease of manufacture and cost savings. The Ford 240 6-cyl used in trucks and the full-size cars was a different design and apparently much more amenable to being hopped up.

tjc78 said:

Love the color on the MB

The Futura is just begging for a hopped up EFI 302 from a late fox body Stang. It is done all the time, but just makes for a great sleeper.

That 200 inline 6 is a slug to say the least.

not bad looking. drop in the 302/5 speed, and suspension and brakes, might be good to go.

@stickguy said:
    not bad looking. drop in the 302/5 speed, and suspension and brakes, might be good to go.

As far as swaps go it’s actually pretty easy. At the end of the day they are all Fox platform cars, so with the right parts it all bolts up.

I saw an LTD wagon done up with all Mustang parts. Cool idea.

Actually would prefer a fairmont wagon swap. Really no point on a 2 door coupe. Might as well just keep the mustang!

You could get a fairmont (sedan, doubt the wagon) with a V8 manual drivetrain. So converting a wagon should be easy.

edited September 2021
    Took the old dear out this morning, started and ran fine, got a fun "I love your car" comment from a cheerful grandma type lady in an Econoline that appeared to be wearing hubcaps from a 70s F-series, also got a few other waves and thumbs up, older guy in a clean W211 was into it as well.

For gratuitous pic time, I guess it is official now even though closing isn't for around 2 more weeks, I stopped by to see some work being done by the owner:

I noticed a recent Adam video where he mentioned he prefers an unrestored/not detailed engine compartment, so I thought I'd snap a pic of mine - lots of plumbing here not seen on most cars of the era:

nice. you are going to love having the garage.

stickguy said:

Good place to keep the lawnmower, hedge trimmer and whipper snipper you are going to need as well. :D

House and fintail in driveway look like they’re made for each other. How far is your new house from your apartment?

Fortunately not a ton of grass, that's the big patch. The corner area around the tree, and most of the back, are rock - so I will just have to pull weeds. It also has underground sprinklers and drippers. The prior owner was into it, old street view pics show a lush garden. I am not so much into that, I might see about clover and bushes or even some cactus if it can live here. I plan to get an electric lawnmower, as it isn't a huge patch - there was a lawnmower in the garage when I toured it, maybe it will be included.
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Good place to keep the lawnmower, hedge trimmer and whipper snipper you are going to need as well. :D
    The color is suitable, I like it - maybe something subconscious that steered me to the house. The house had a gut remodel around 15 years ago, inside it is not a period piece, but outside still has kind of a 50s look.

It's around 5 miles from here, not too bad. My commute will be roughly the same.
    sda said:

House and fintail in driveway look like they’re made for each other. How far is your new house from your apartment?

Already looking forward to it. It has some cabinets and a workbench. Debating if I should apply a treatment to the floor. It's not heated, but I saw some insulation.
    stickguy said:

when I move I plan to do something to the garage floor. I never got around to it at this house.

@stickguy said:
    when I move I plan to do something to the garage floor. I never got around to it at this house.

I said it in another thread but that is something I want to do as well.

@fintail
    For the age of the car the engine bay doesn’t look bad at all. You can see some newer parts and wiring but otherwise just original. Not sure I’d mess with it too much other than minor cleaning when needed.

I wonder if it's a big or expensive job to apply coating, it'd look cool. This house could end up being a "Money Pit" re-enactment, but with less fall apart (a bathroom reno is already on the longterm list - what's in it is fine but I would like a walk-in shower).

Every blue moon I will wipe some of the dust and grit off the engine, but I've never steam cleaned it or applied engine dressing or similar.
    tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

I said it in another thread but that is something I want to do as well.

@fintail

For the age of the car the engine bay doesn’t look bad at all. You can see some newer parts and wiring but otherwise just original. Not sure I’d mess with it too much other than minor cleaning when needed.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2021
    2002 Toyota Avalon with 195k miles. 1-owner. Clean carfax. Regular maintenance. Offered for $4350. Maybe an ok deal in today's market?

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/used-Louisville-2002-Toyota-Avalon-XLS-4T1BF28B52U251502

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited September 2021

I had one like that. Mine was an 03 with the revised grill. Good car, but the 06 I had was light years better. Everyone always loved the dashboard design in the 03.

$4350 is probably the new 3K, so if it all checks out, I am sure you could do a lot worse. Maybe offer $3900 or something just because.

That dash concept reminds me of the 92-96 Prelude.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I know I'm in the minority here (or possibly all by my lonesome), but, unless it is a diesel, any car with 200k miles is a throwaway to me. The most I'd give is $2k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:
    I know I'm in the minority here (or possibly all by my lonesome), but, unless it is a diesel, any car with 200k miles is a throwaway to me. The most I'd give is $2k.

I’m with you on that. You could be one repair from taking it to the junkyard.

With the current used cars market, people will be pulling cars out of the junkyard to drive soon. Cost dumpy amici for when it’s mechanically totaled has changed!

I keep crossing my fingers that our 06 TL with 165k soldiers on with minimal fuss. My daughter loves the car and named it ‘Baby’. I feel out of the loop currently as I can’t do my normal checks on it, like checking the oil level, etc. now that I am recovering from a broken leg. Good news is that it is healing correctly, a cast was put on yesterday. In four weeks they hope to put me in a walking boot. I don’t want to have to buy another car in this current crazy car market.

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    Marketplace on LI 1960-1990

The prices on these F bodies has gone up Reports super low miles but those front seats look redone

20 footer... 30 footer Shiny on some parts but needs total resto

Well preserved Bronx beauty

Another real time capsule back to the days of Z Cavaricci Gotta be the cleanest one you'll find.

Really want this red tomato Looks like a better copy than most

Not much of a Falcon fan but this looks really well kept

If that is rust on the rockers, that price has to be way high

Never see these Capris anymore My Dad had one when I was a kid
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Maybe that's why there's only one pic on the "300ZX".
    $12,500 for a plain jane Falcon? Dang.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708

With a 200? Nope. Gotta have a V8.

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282

@stickguy said:
    $12,500 for a plain jane Falcon? Dang.

Seems high to me but it does look very clean. Can't hurt to start high

texases said:

With a 200? Nope. Gotta have a V8.

Yeah, I quite liked it until I saw the 200 under the hood, and the price. I swear every Futura of that design generation was red with a black vinyl roof.