Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Motor Generator Replacement

OSUgradndad85OSUgradndad85 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2022 in Toyota
I’m having the timing belt and water pump replaced next week, and as another preventative step I’m considering going ahead and having this (or these if there are two) also replaced, but I don’t really know anything about them other than their name and they appear to function as the starter in a non-hybrid vehicle. Are they relatively easy to replace and what might I expect to pay a mechanic?

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    No, you don't need to have that replaced, it's inside the transaxle and it's not considered serviceable. If it would fail, you will need to replace the transaxle as an entire assembly to fix it.
  • Options
    OSUgradndad85OSUgradndad85 Member Posts: 2

No, you don't need to have that replaced, it's inside the transaxle and it's not considered serviceable. If it would fail, you will need to replace the transaxle as an entire assembly to fix it.

Thanks doc, I appreciate the information. I sure wasn't aware something like that is embedded in the transaxle. When I hear "motor" I also hear time limit on it's life, so it seems a bit surprising to me they wouldn't make that part accessible for periodic replacement. Or maybe I'm just not understanding what it actually is. Not that I enjoy forking over money for car parts, I still like to know I've at least tried to maintain new, reliable parts that minimize the risk of becoming stranded somewhere. Regardless, thanks again.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    I could get into specifics about what would be involved but it would get really complicated. To make it simple one of the greatest challenges to try and rebuild one of these is synchronizing the resolver (think of it as a position sensor for the rotor) and the stator windings. It is adjustable but the tools to do it are prohibitively expensive outside of a factory setting. If the planet assembly (power split device) or any of the gears, chain or bearings need to be replaced those can be done by an experienced transmission technician. In later years Toyota has created a way to calibrate the resolver with software making it easier to replace a motor/generator when necessary but the older transaxles don't support that function.