Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• rosiemrosiem Member Posts: 1
    This might be a stupid question and it probably is but here it goes...anyway, i'm a single mother of two and i have a 2001 saturn L200 and just yesterday i was noticing that my ac would blow warm air out everytime we stopped and when i would take off again the cold air would come out great. What could the problem be.
  • sharschsharsch Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Saturn Vue purchased 37 months ago and with 44,000 miles has developed a problem with the all-wheel drive. The dealership has informed me that it will be $1600 to fix the problem. When I complained, they said that they would split the cost with me. I tried Saturn Assistance and the said the same thing. Has anyone else had this type of issue?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    What is the issue with the all wheel drive system? If it is driveable, you can always take it to an independent mechanic.
  • g2dau2dayg2dau2day Member Posts: 1
    is it possible to take a single cam head and take it out and put a twin cam head on and bolt the head straight onto the motor? if soo please reply just wanted to know if its possible
  • satidlesatidle Member Posts: 5
    I'm sure many of you knew about this "solution" for years. But on the chance that it might save some other Saturn owners some embarrassment (and money!), here goes. Recently had some intermittent starting problems with my daughter's '97 SL1, making it unreliable transportation. I had no problems starting it, but she always did. Turning the key, you would get lights etc. indicating you had juice. But turning to Start position, you got nothing, no ignition sounds, no starter turning, etc. Nothing except what sounded like a turn signal clicker coming from the REAR. Of course, no turn signal was on. Every time this happened, the car would start fine for me, 3 or 4 times in a row. I suspected it was "operator error" but never saw her do anything wrong. Finally, the car failed to start one day and she came in and got me (and her mother as witness!). Sure enough, the car would not start, exactly as she had described. I had recently had the car in for LOF and safety checks. Also had them replace the batteries and clean the contacts in both remote key fobs, as they had not worked for a long time. Here's where you wise guys go "uh-huh...". Next day (car started fine for me), back to the Saturn service to diagnose the problem. For $82, I got to hear them start it 10 times and, they say, they tested the starter/alternator and battery. Diagnoses: Battery tested low under load; recommend new battery. Run-on during starting; fuel pump failing, recommend new fuel pump. Estimate: $202 to replace battery, $600 to replace fuel pump. Getting up off the floor, I responded. "First, I didn't have a problem with run-on during starting until I brought it in and you guys started it 10 times in a row, probably flooding it. So no fuel pump today. If the battery was low, it would indicate so and always have trouble starting, not just once in a while. What is charging the battery back up in between starts?" I asked him point-blank, "will replacing the battery solve this problem?" He said "yes." I said, "I can replace a battery myself for a lot less than $202!" I paid my bill (under protest) and thanked him for the $82 car wash! I replaced the battery ($65) and the next morning, of course, daughter can't start the car. Later that morning it started fine for me. I called Saturn rep and told him so. He said they couldn't diagnose problem unless it happened for them. The old "Catch-22": They can't diagnose it unless it won't start for them. If it won't start for me, how can I bring it in? If it will start, I don't need to bring it in. So here's where you guys (this discussion group) come in. Before I drop this car off at the Saturn service for weeks of them starting it without a problem, I thought I would check online for boards like this one. I read about similar problems with other (newer) Saturns and what people suggested. Then I saw a post about a "kill switch that locked out the ignition for 5 minutes if you opened the door with a key instead of the remote." Eureka! It confirmed my first theory that my daughter was starting the car different than I was. She had gotten used to manual locking and unlocking because her remote key didn't work. I always used my remote because it worked. When I got her remote fixed, she continued to manually lock (and sometimes unlock) the door, and so always had the problem. I was able to test and confirm this solution with both of our remotes. Thanks, guys. Problem solved. At least that one. As for what to do about a Saturn service dept. that was offering to (try to) solve this problem for over $800, I don't know. I think they should have known about this "feature" and the "problem" it presents. What do you think?
  • pisulinopisulino Member Posts: 78
    First of all, that was a nice troubleshooting skill.
    Starts for me, but not for my daughter...WHY?

Secondly, real mechanics will know and most likely advise about why and how.

Problem is that today's mechanics (are they really?)are as good as the computer they use in the shop. If they were really interested, they would of probably look at their knowleadge database and find your problem. I resist to believe you are the first one with that problem ! !

If I were you, I would actually go back to the service manager, and ask him why the symptoms were not checked with their database. Normally, each vehicle has a top 10 list of
    common known problems.................
    My thoughts exactly. That's why I am going back tomorrow to address this with the Service Manager. I knew about the "knowledge database" but not the "top 10 list." Thanks for the tip. The way I figure, they at least owe me the $82 diagnostic fee. That would cover the $16.50 for remote transmitter batteries and cleaning the contacts, and the $65 for the new car battery I probably didn't need!
    Congrats satidle! I'd love to hear what the dealership says.
  • bevcarolanbevcarolan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 L series, Saturn has tried multiple times to correct the tire problem with my car. 9 sets of tires in 74000 miles and the tires are making noise again. The other day I took it to the dealership complaining about the tires cupping again, they lent me a 2003 L series to drive for the day, and all 4 tires on that car were singing louder than the radio, and at 70mph the car shook violently...that car had 42000 on it. They have serious problems with these cars but they seem to want to ignore it. I am furious with them! Ask your local tire dealer to check the tires...I bet one or more of them is cupped.
  • melmel99melmel99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 SL2 and my car is useless now that it wont start. I put the key in and it wont turn. I tried turning the steering wheel, pushing on the brake..and NOTHING. I am so frustrated! Any ideas???
  • melinlmmelinlm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Saturn vue 1800 miles and when i get over 40 mph I get a pulsing or oscilating noise that sounds like its coming from the rear. They replaced the rear module and wheel bearings, aligned the tires and still the noise is there. Does anyone have any ideas. We are thinking about giving it back. But I LOVE my car.
  • src77src77 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a new twist for you. I am having the exact same problem with my 1997 Saturn SW2. However, I always use the remote key and hardly ever unlock the car manually. So it boils down, in my case to heat. If I drive the car to work, approximately ten minutes, go inside and then have to leave again, it will not start. The car has to sit for at least three or four hours before starting, and even then it's becoming a fight to find the right combination of turning the key and pushing or pulling the gear lever. I know there is something that I'm overlooking here. Everything else is in working order. The car has been well maintained and other than new brakes hasn't needed any other love besides the normal oil changes and tune-ups. When the car does start, it starts strong and runs well. Does anyone have any suggestions for this one? My mechanic suggested just starting to replace parts until we figured out what might be wrong, although I'm not sure if he's going to be my mechanic much longer. Another option was to rip out the center console and see what might be going on with the lockout switch that prevents you from starting in anything other than park. The third, and seemingly most viable at this moment, is to replace the car. I have two little ones that I don't want to get stuck with without any way to get them home. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love my Saturn and don't want to get rid of it, but I need reliable transportation that isn't costing me an arm and a leg.
  • chele67chele67 Member Posts: 1
    There are no stupid questions... I am having the same problems with my saturn L200 2001. Now my engine is heating more but not "overheating" . I have noticed that my engine coolant is low at times and have replaced it several times. I am scared to even use my air. I was hoping that you found out what the problem is. :cry: :confuse:
    If you keep losing coolant, you should get it to a mechanic sooner rather than later. If there is no "puddle" under your car, the coolant is being lost inthe engine. Too much can cause damage to the engine.
    Sometimes the little guy wins! The Service Manager finally came back from vacation and I got in to see him. I gave him the short, direct version with paperwork to back it up. I pointed out that the remotes were serviced weeks earlier by the same service rep that suggested replacing the battery and fuel pump to the tune of $800 (which mysteriously there was no record of, hmm...). And that he said replacing the battery would solve the starting problem (it didn't!). My argument was that if he had checked the service record of my car and the SL1 problem database, he could have saved me bringing in the car and the $82 diagnostic fee (not to mention effort and money to replace the battery.). Svc Mgr "understood but disagreed" with my position. He said the diagnostic test DID show that the battery needed to be replaced, so the fee was warranted. I said the battery was low because the tech had just started the car 10 TIMES IN A ROW before testing it. Obviously, low battery was not the problem! Besides, with a brand new battery, it wouldn't start the next morning. Svc Mgr said he didn't agree but it was "his job to keep the customer happy, so what did I expect him to do?" I said refund the $82 and be happy I wasn't asking for the cost of the new battery too! He reluctantly agreed and had them cut me a check immediately. I said imagine a scenario where the customer was less knowledgeable than I and had agreed to the $800 battery and fuel pump replacement, then discovered they didn't need them and the car still wouldn't start! He said he would have to talk to his service rep about that. Unless it's a problem only Saturn can fix, I don't think I will be going back to that dealership again.
  • newvue1newvue1 Member Posts: 4
    By pulsing, do you mean a sort of "clunking", thumping sound? Does it only happen at 40 or above?

I have something going on with miy 2006 Vue (2800 miles, but probably started around 1500). Doesn't happen all the time, and usually only at slow speeds, but I can't figure out what it is!!
  • audreylynnaudreylynn Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problems with my 1997 Saturn SL1. I have owned my car about 2 1/2 years. I was wondering if you have gotten any answers. I don't know what the problem could be because, I just had the oil changed 6 weeks ago and they said everything looked great. In the past 6 months, I have had the coolant-system flushed and filled, a new fuel filter put on, and the air filter replaced. Also last year I had the entire brake-system replaced front and back and new tires put on. I have about 136,000 miles on my car and I haven't really had anything major go wrong. Please let me know if you have gotten any answers, I'm so afraid it is something major.
  • wulfskiwulfski Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2006 Vue (AWD with about 1600 miles) with a similar "noise" problem. The sound is difficult to describe. The best description I can give is that it is a high pitched oscillation/pulse that comes from the right front tire. It starts around 10 mph and the frequency increases as the speed increases. At about 55mph on highways the frequency is high enough that you can't tell its there and it is usually drowned out by other sounds. The sound gets softer after the car has been running for about 20 minutes. I don't know what it is but I sure hope there is a Saturn Technician reading this that can help.
  • fallingapartfallingapart Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with my 2003 Saturn L200. The noise I get is a seriou grinding noise/rubbing noise usually when turning to the left. IT appears to be worse when the car is cold. I am under my extended warranty. Took it into my dealer this past weekend, they are having to replace a gear and something else to do with the shaft. I dont' know exactly what it was, will find out when I get the car back. It is being covered under the warranty. They are also fixing a couple of other things under the warranty that surprised me

I also get a huge grinding noise at startup, only on a cold start. They can't duplicate that problem funny cause I hate even starting my car because of the noise.

Also, something I've alreayd taken the car in for once is the that the air/heating blows strong and then cuts out etc. They still can't figure that one out.

They gave me a vue to drive. It has some highpitched noise when accelerating and when you get out of it, smells like something is burning..

I can't complain too much right now they are doing a minimum of $1900 worth of work for my $100 deductible of the extended warranty
  • macmgbmacmgb Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like a similar phenomenon I have encountered,
    however mine is due to the fact that the vehicle transforms itself into a giant low frequency whistle.
    Try this... roll down only the passenger side rear
    window and drive. As you pick-up speed you will notice
    the air inside begin to pulse. The faster you go the
    greater the pulsations, to the point where you feel
    your brain will be sucked out your ears.
    It scared me the first time it happened and I thought
    a helicopter was coming in for a landing on my roof.
    This minor Saturn Vue design flaw can be remedied
    by closing the window or sticking a dog in the rear
    right seat.
  • lbeck3lbeck3 Member Posts: 1
    Good luck I have had the same problem for 4 years and have taken it to saturn every time and they "don't know." If you find anything out please let me know.
    Sorry I could not help much.
    lbeck3
  • adickersonadickerson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 saturn sc dohc.You have to hold the gas pedal to the floor before it will start. After the flooded gas has burnt out it runs fine but you have to do this every time you start the car. Could it be the map sensor or the oxygen sensor? Have spent so much money buying parts trying to keep the car going can't afford to keep guessing Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • mraffertymrafferty Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 L series Saturn with a standard transmission and the piece of plastic that holds my stick shift to the transmission linkages recently broke. I went to the dealership and they said I would have to purchase and install completely new linkages; I'm just trying to find the plastic piece on the end of the linkage that connects to the ball on the shifter so that I can avoid paying $220 for a $5 piece of plastic. Any advice?
  • indiansfan06indiansfan06 Member Posts: 3
    In the past couple of weeks I have noticed this problem has become steadily worse - I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow (crossing my fingers it's nothing major) - I will let you know what they come up with and its cost. With the # of miles I have on the car (close to 130k) it may not be worth the expense of fixing but I will let you know. Any one have an idea of what could be wrong with it?
  • lusonluson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Vue. Sometimes I hear a sound similar to a hummmmm noise. This is randomly. This happens always at low speed between 20 to 40 mph.
  • njm1njm1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Vue with 16,500 miles and just had both the front and rear rotors cut. The brakes were pulsating. I've had the vehicle for 10.5 months! Purchased new. And i'm easy on the brakes. :mad: The rotors have to be cut every 10.5 months? I've been driving for 35 yrs and have never heard of that nor have I had this problem with any other vehicle.
  • motoringmamamotoringmama Member Posts: 35
    Ok,so I bought this used Saturn about a month ago. Gave it a thorough test drive and was told it had only 2 owners before me that maintained it well. It ran great the first couple of weeks. Now I have noticed a worrisome problem with it in that after having driven it for about a half hour in stop and go traffic, it begins to chug upon acceleration, and then about 20 seconds later it just dies. It will start right up again, but continues to run rough and idles at only about 500 rpms. Also noted that the temp. gauge begins to rise and the engine gets very hot. Once home, and it sits for a while it is fine. But one other annoying thing, is that every time I come to a stop it kind of chug chug chugs to a stop but doesn't stall out. This is an automatic trans. and the car has 146,000 miles on it. Otherwise gas mileage is great; right around 30mph.Any thoughts? I hope whatever it is it isn't costly because I am making payments on this vehicle.
  • gcalergcaler Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving a 2004 ion for my company. This is a delivery vehicle, we log our milage, starts and stops, this is probably the only reason I noticed this problem. When starting the engine and the Change Oil display comes up and rings the bell, upon looking at the mileage, sometimes it is diferent by as much as 16 miles, than it was when the vehicle was stopped. I have recorded several instances of this happening. When I took it to the dealer, the first thing they did was reset the change oil display so the problem went away. Now we will have to wait another 3000 miles or so for the change oil display to come back on. Anybody seen this problem ?
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Sounds like leaking fuel injector's. The fuel is leaking into the cylinders as the car sets.
  • skygrounderskygrounder Member Posts: 2
    :confuse:
    Recently, my car has developed this strange noise coming from the front. It sounds like it comes from the transmission. I can hear it when the car reaches around 25 to 30 M.P.H., and kind of goes away around 85 to 90 M.P.H. I was looking around the engine to see if it has a dip stick to check the fluid level; but I could only find on the left side this red cap with a drawing of a book engraved. There is no info. on the owners manual. :mad: It is driving me crazy. Any suggestions? :cry:
  • skygrounderskygrounder Member Posts: 2
    By the way... it is a 3.0, V-6 engine.
  • mizpreachermizpreacher Member Posts: 1
    Help - I now live 150 miles away from nearest saturn dealer. My front bumper was pulled off, and we got it back on, now the a/c system doesn't work. I have the auto system that shows outside temp. The Temp showing is 0C Fahrenheit. I can turn the fan on except the compressor doesn't kick in to cool the air. Also it doesn't show the inside temp when I turn the control knob to set it. It is very hot here now! Any ideas where to start? :cry:
  • gpenwrightgpenwright Member Posts: 1
    ya i have same car same problem but talked to some mechanic an he said there was a purge valve around the starter that is the real problem i will have to check with a dealer to buy it an replace it hope it works
  • fatrabbitfatrabbit Member Posts: 2
    On the SL/SC/SW hard to start, I got that once, and I fix it by replacing the Engine Coolant temp. sensor. The old style sensor is prone to crack, the new style sensor is made of brass and it's a updated design. Got it from the dealer for less than $20.
  • cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
    My parents are currently in the market for a new vehicle and am inquiring about problems/issues with the Saturn Ion 3 models. We had 2 Saturns both SL2's, one was manual and the other automatic. Both cars have treated us well and barely had any problems and we had over 190,000 miles on them before we traded them in. So my parents trust the cars and know that they will be able to drive them for a while.

Any thoughts, concerns or problems others have encountered would be great!

Thanks in advance!
    My first guess since the outside temperature is not reading correctly is to replace the outside temperature sensor. Most of the itme they are on the front side of the radiator. It's possible it couldhave been damaged when the front bumper came off. Any mechanic (go to an independent shop) can do this. Your A/C won't come on if the outside temperature is below 60 F. there is probably nothign wrong with your AC.

Or if you are handy, you may be able to fix it yourself. Take a look under the hood and locate it. I think it is a matter of unhooking the old sensor and connecting the new. ( i have a 2000 Olds Intrigue and my outside temperature sensor is on the front of the radiator) I like to always get the part first (try an auto part store or your nearest GM dealership) so you know what you are looking for under the hood.

Good luck.
    You should do more research on the Saturn Ion. Saturn is a very different company from when they made the S-series. Also there is a replacement for the Ion coming soon which looks more promising thant the current model.
  • drakosdarklatadrakosdarklata Member Posts: 1
    I'm no stranger to saturns, but I am a stranger to owning a manual and more so have had severe problems with my previous vehicles when odd noises began. I have checked the oil everytime I've noticed the problem as I feel a lot of saturn problems are oil-related. Anyway, I have had two problems, at least I think they are problems. First, I have noticed the engine is a bit noisy, with a rattle like sound to it. The oil is fine and I haven't noticed any leaks nor is the belt loose, but I am worried. My last saturn threw a rod within 24 hours of making sounds. Even with an older engine, 130xxx miles old, it still seems noisier than expected. For this I would simply like to know if I should be seriously worried. Second, it seems every once in a while, about twice a week, 1-3 gear seem to sit in the 3000 rpm range no matter how I shift. This makes me wonder if the transaxle or something related could be acting up. As a side note, I have had the engine light come on twice in the last two weeks, both times I was going around 80 with 3-3500 rpms. I don't want to go to the dealer until I have a clue as to the problem because I'm worried they'll either tell me it's not warrantied and I have to pay out my noise or they'll tell me nothing's wrong in an attempt to not have to uphold the warranty as it is about to expire in two weeks. I know this is a lot, but I would like to have some clue as to whether this is normal, due to the operation of the vehicle or if their is an internal problem and what it could be.
  • cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
    My 93 SL2 Saturn obtained a noisy engine after I had over 100,000 miles on it and the issue was my motor mount was cracked, I had the motor mount replaced and the engine went back to normal. I would suggest checking the motor mount to ensure that is is not cracked or that it doesn't need to be replaced.

I also noticed after a while that when I started my car it would rev at the 2500 to 3000 rpms. This I found out was due to my temp sensor going and my O2 sensor being shot. I replaced both of those and everything went back to normal. Is the temp gauge above or below the half mark, this is where mine normally was but when I noticed it was reving at a higher rpm my temp gauge was off.

Hope that helps, but I was definately suggest getting it into the dealer before the warranty is up... it's always better to be safe then sorry is what I say.
  • jstefanojstefano Member Posts: 1
    I bought my first Saturn 10 months ago. I bought the Saturn Ion 3. The car ran beautifully for the first 6 months. I took in the first few months for minor things like hearing wind through the passenger window and sun roof and they replaced the seal (twice now). Well then I started having a problem with the ignition. I couldn't get the key to come out of the ignition. After waiting for a few minutes the key would finally release and I'd be on my way. I took the car in a few weeks ago to Saturn with this problem and they replaced something called a tumbler (I think). I picked up my car after supposedly being fixed and drove 1 hour back to work and GUESS WHAT?!?!? My key wouldn't come out of my car. I called the dealership and was told "well then we're not sure what the problem is we'll get back to you". 3 days later and I still haven't heard from the dealership and I get into my car to go to work and now my car won't start. I had to have my car towed 1.5 hours away to the closest Saturn dealership. My daughter picked out this car because it will be hers in just 2 short years. Now I'm really regretting this decision we made. By the way 4 days later and Saturn still has my car. I would not recommend a Saturn to anyone.
  • samanatorsamanator Member Posts: 1
    The cooling fan stopped working. I put 12VDC to and it would run. When I hooked it back to the car, it would not come on when the coolant got hot. I think it's a relay but I don't know which one. I really could use some help as I can’t afford to take this car to a shop. thanks in advance for the help.
  • pinktoespinktoes Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Ion Coupe for about 1 year now and I have already had the horn replaced and the BCM replaced. Now I think my gas gauge is acting up. I will put gas in it and over night it will be 1/8-1/4 a tank lower. Then perhaps the following day, it will be back up to where I expected it to be. It is annoying and I wish my car would just work as expected. Also the cruise control does not work sometimes, and I have begun to wonder if the oil life monitor is working.

Could any of these problems be linked to the replaced BCM? Has anybody else experienced such issues?
  • pinktoespinktoes Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 05 Ion Coupe 3 about a year ago and have had nothing but headaches. First I had issues with the passive security system shutting off gas to the engine so I would have to pull over and turn the car off. Then my horn stopped working. My current problems include gas gauge fluctuations, a cruise control that works sometimes, a questionable oil life monitor, and more recently, it has difficult to remove my key after shutting it off and I worry it will get stuck in the ignition. Also, I have found the running the a/c seriously puts a dent in your gas mileage. Not good news for a Floridian.

I bought this car because everybody said how Saturn was so great. My parents had a Saturn wagon 7 years ago and it was a great car. I believe the quality of Saturn cars has decreased. I would advise against buying a Saturn. The car you get could be great, or it could be a bag of headaches like mine.
  • blzndavblzndav Member Posts: 2
    i have a 97 sl2 saturn im lookin for the location of the crankshaft sensor...
  • dyveddyved Member Posts: 1
    First time posting:
    My car has never given me any problems until just recently I drove to work and parked. After my normal day, I went in to start it, it seemed out of gas, but have a half tank. It just did not want to fire, the battery was okay, the starter was okay but there seemed to be no fuel getting to the engine. I checked some of the fuses the next day and all seemed all right. It seemed to start up fine after letting it sit over night. But once I headed out of town up a hill, it just stopped. As if again, out of gas. Please note, a few days earlier I pumped $20 in gas, although I did not listen to my better judgment and pumped gas when the stations gas tanker was filling their tanks. I realize this stirs up lots of sediments and stuff. Could this be the problem? Someone please advise. Greatly appreciated. :sick:
  • nightsnipenightsnipe Member Posts: 2
    hey im having the same exact problem as you were and was wondering if you ever figured this out and what exactly is wrong with it. You are having the same exact problem as me. If you could please help me it would be much appreciated...thanks
  • nightsnipenightsnipe Member Posts: 2
    hey did you ever end up figuring this out. Im having almost the exact same problem as you and i am getting the same exact codes as you are. If you could please help me out and either just reply or send me an email at [email protected] i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
  • smartkidsmartkid Member Posts: 5
    This has to be the worst car i have ever bought. The first month was good, but then the engine would not start sometimes. The brake pedal felt very tough to press as if it were a rock. Plus, on top of that, the interior is marred with cheap plastic pieces everywhere. I am thinking about getting a mercury mariner. I suggest that noone buys a saturn. My previous one was good it was a 1996. They must have changed engineers or something becuase these cars are nothing like they used to be.link">
  • jbarniejbarnie Member Posts: 1
    Most of the Saturns I owned have a fuse relay box located under the hood on the drivers side. Unscrew the holddown nut and flip the cover over. It shows each relay and fuse and what they are for. Good luck
  • saras1asaras1a Member Posts: 1
    I got my car with 23,000 miles on it--my great grandmother's car. Today it has 72,000 miles on it.
    I have replaced the battery, twice.
    Replaced the alternator.
    Rebuilt the transmission--$1509.00--(At the time, it had 56,000 miles on it)
    Replaced the belt tensioner
    My gas gauge is broken,
    and I need a new muffler.

If it is not one problem, it's another.
    Since October my Saturn has been making an awful "clunking/rattling" noise. This noise mostly occurs when I am in drive and when it is completely stopped; if I put the car in neutral the noise quiets down. I was told it could be an engine pulley or a harmonic balancer--any ideas??? If so, please tell me and let me know what the ball park figure will be.
    :sick:
This discussion has been closed.