Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• sploguesplogue Member Posts: 53
    I did try the Woolite diluted with water to clean the leather interior. It seems to work well for cleaning dirt, but did nothing for staining from clothes (belts, dark blue jeans, and so on). Ecru is an unforgiving color when it comes to staining.

At least it isn't hot from the sun like my last car, which had a black/graphite interior. Still, I think next time I'm going for tan or saddle instead. ;-)
  • luapluap Member Posts: 21
    Have a new 2004 LS430 and was wondering if anyone has experienced a left to right drifting on the highway. Highway steering doesn't seem to be as tight as I would like. How can I tell if the progressive power steering is working properly?
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    luap:

Could be misalignment or an underinflated tire or something wrong with the steering or any number of things...

I would take the car into Lexus and let them figure it out...
  • suxelsuxel Member Posts: 2
    I know this is a little late, but I would like to say that when I made the appt. to have my 430 recall work done, the dealer, Lexus of Memphis, told me to bring the car in with the gas tank as empty as possible. I didn't know why, but when I arrived at the dealer I had a little more than 1/4 tank. When the work was finished and the car returned to me they had filled up the gas tank. I also received the two $100 cards a few weeks later in the mail. I don't know if it is standard procedure, but Lex of Mem returns the cars washed and vac'd after each service visit. Good people!
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I have noticed drifting in strong cross-winds in the LS430 as well as my previous E320. Both cars are sensitive to tire inflation. MB actually recommended a 6 psi increase in pressure with sustained high speed driving. I have applied this advice to both cars with as significant improvement in handling. With my LS430 I run the pressures at 36-37 front and rear. An added benefit is improved turning response.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Suxel:

It is among the joys of lexus ownership.
  • buswellbuswell Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. The dealer service department said the steering was in Spec. I don't think so. It is very annoying at freeway speeds. I had a 2000 I30t that had much more positive steering. I think the current term is "float"
    Does anyone know what the projected pattern of the HID headlights should be? At night time, I notice the left side is lower than the right side and as the projected light pattern goes from the left side to the right, at around the center of the pattern, it goes up an incline of 45 degrees. When projected against a flat wall, shouldn't the projected pattern be a straight line from left to right? Can't wait to see what the service department has to say!
    I also have an RX330 that doesn't seem to "float". I haven't addressed the issue with the dealer yet, but will shortly and I'll post the outcome.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I noticed a similar situation on my 2004 LS430 and had the service department do a check. They indicated the light system was in specs, but it still was not actually level from side to side. I notice the 2005 is the same, so unless it is way out of line, you may have to live with it, I guess I'm used to it now. Good luck.
    Pages 515 & 516 of the owners manual shows that the headlamps can be adjusted by using a Phillips screwdriver, you first have to remove the little rubber grommets, fit the screwdriver into the little gear teeth, and count the direction and numbers of turns, but before I attempt it, I'll see what the dealer says - I'm sure I will end up adjusting it my self - I'll let you know.
    Thanks, I had forgot about the instructions in the owner's manual.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Shine your HID headlights against a garage door, ~20ft distance, you will notice that the "shading" (light blocking) is lower on the left than the right....for both headlights!

In the UK its opposite.

When the beam patterns merge some distance forward, down the road, the effect is that the right headlight seems to be aimed higher.

It isn't.
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    I have had that problem in the past. The commonest causes for this problem are (i) front wheel misalignment, (ii) incorrect tire pressures, (iii) tire rotation leading to tires with unequal treads being put in the front. Almost always when each of the above is addressed the problem is fixed. Let us know what happens.
  • buswellbuswell Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my LS430. Invoice as follows:
    "customer feels vehicle tends to float and has to overcompnsate steering while driving at freeway speeds. Inspect alignment and see me.
    Cause: added caster for better tracking-combo A,B,C,D,E for alignment after repair.
    043233 Install lower busing for added caster, perform 4 wheel alignment.
       520 W
    (have the following part numbers if you need them)

1 Bracket, FR LWR ARM
    1 Bracket, FR LWR ARM
    2 Bush LWR ARM, NO. 2
    18,000 miles on car

All seems well after a test drive of 10 miles on the freeway.
    Thanks -wwest,

I'm posting the following question:
    Why is the right side light blocking shading higher than the left? Does the higher beam bother cars in the right lane when I'm in the passing lane?
    Has anyone ever noticed on page 120 of the Owners Manual, there is a photo of a different configuration for what's under the ash tray lid? This makes a lot more sense than having a useless ash tray. Has anyone ever converted their ash tray to this handy little storage compartment? I wonder if it is available as a retrofit kit from Lexus?
    We're supposed to remain in the rightmost lane except for passing. You will notice, if you tend to drive just, closely, behind someone but in the next, left, lane over, they will sometimes get irritated at your lights in their face via their rear view mirror.

I do.

And remember that most of these design rules were laid down back when we mostly had only two lane, one each way, roads.
    I thought my LS430 came with the compartment you mentioned; however, now that I read your post I remember that I removed the ashtray and just throw my junk in the hole where the ashtray used to be. I also plug in my radar in the electrical outlet for the cigar lighter. Good Luck
    I forgot to post the Lexus Customer Service Info web site, might give them a call or e-mail..
    http://www.lexus.com/home/contact_lexus.html
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Just took a stone into the front windshield of my '04 LS this afternoon on the highway from a passing truck. Left a quarter-sized "star" that luckily didn't fully penetrate the glass. Insurance company will pick up the bill if it can be repaired versus replaced. Anyone have any experience with Safelite Auto Glass repairs which is the recommended firm to fix it? They say it should be easy to repair in under 30 minutes if under 6 inches in size so I am hopeful.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Wow! Hope they can. I've used Safelite several times before with good results, but never on anything that large before.
    Sorry if I left the impression that the damage is 6 inches, it's only about an inch now but the Safelite folks said they can repair up to 6 inches if necessary.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Same thing happened to my wife's SC on Tuesday, but she had two 6" cracks extending from the small chip, so it's a replacement not repair. My insurance company (USAA) uses Safelite also and guarantees their work. USAA is a first-rate outfit, and they wouldn't try to refer their members to anyone who does shoddy work. My wife got an extimate ($750 but originally 1300)from the dealer, which USAA agreed to cover less the deductible.
    I'm a USAA member too, retired Army, but it's my first time having to get a windshield repaired -- ever! Hard to believe with over 35 years of driving that it's my first ever repair or replacement of a windshield.

Now the kicker - got home from work and my wife informs me that her MDX also got a stone chip today on her windshield late this afternoon. Maybe I can get them to do both while they are in the area doing mine tomorrow.
    I've had four star hits repaired by USAA contractor and they have all turned out good. Sometimes I could not find the star after the fix unless I really tried. One was still visible, but it was on the passenger side and did not propogate. I'd rather have a couple of star fixes than have the original windshield replaced. Last spring, I got a hit on the way to Denver and had it fixed while there. On the way home, I got another at almost the same location, so another repair after I got home.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    My uncle has had his '00 LS400 windshield fixed in two places where stones hit by Safelite. I have seen the work. THe windshield will be smooth both inside and out, but from the inside you will still see some of the cracks(spider-webbing), but it will be much less visible. Personally, it's better than getting the windshield replaced and especially when it only costs like $60 or so.
    Safelite completed the work at lunchtime today. I can still see the damage but you are right, it is smooth. I will debate with myself if I can stand to see the hazy spot just below my sight line or whether I will spend the $500 deductible to get the entire windshield replaced with OEM glass. The tech thought that getting some additional UV via the sun might continue to clear up the haze but I certainly can see the damage right now.

And I was able to have Safelite do her MDX after they finished my LS and it looks much better but it was a much smaller spot to begin with and no spider cracks from it.

All in all, I am pleased with the work they did for me but will most likely replace the LS windshield when I have time.
  • dcowan699dcowan699 Member Posts: 26
    I bought my wife a 2002 E320 that "floated ". I later read in a review section of one of the car magazines that the 2002 E320's had this problem and that the earlier models didn't. I wish I had've taken a freeway test drive or I wouldn't have bought it. No interstate near the dealership however. What luck!
    Putting wider tires and wheels on the car stopped the problem. In other words, put the wheel setup of an AMG package on it and it stops. Expensive solution, but it looks better and the "floating" is gone. I never found out what really was the source of the problem.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    Any luck on the retro fit? I agree the ash tray is useless.
  • flatlanderflatlander Member Posts: 25
    I have just purchased a low mileage LS430 and I am still learning about it. At least one feature doesn't seem right. When the trunk is unlatched either by remote or dash mounted lever, the trunk barely moves. It may be open by about 1/4 inch. Am I right in assuming that I need to visit the Lexus Parts dept, for 2 new gas struts (I cant find them listed anywhere among the discounters)?
    Should the trunk lid rise all the way open once released?
    Not necessarily.
    The gas struts are there to hold the trunk lid in any "given" position, they have a gas valving system that causes them to resist movement in either direction.
    Unlike any other car I've owned the trunk release unlocks the trunk, rather than opens it, with an inch or less of movement. This was true for my 2001 and my 2005. Frankly I preferred the other way as it is inconvienent when your hands are full. That and the quirky way the cruise control operates are probably the only things I might change.
  • flatlanderflatlander Member Posts: 25
    I guess I will have to accept the trunk release for what it is (or isn't). I wish this car's trunk did open a bit more than it does because, with only a quick glance, I could walk away from it while unwittingly leaving it open.

Similarly with the cruise control. It takes over so gently that I have yet to adjust to using it. Once set it seems that increasing the cruising speed is done in micro increments.

I had hoped that the car had the Dynamic Cruise Control Option fitted and would gladly swap the ML system for it. Wishful thinking of course.
    Usually there are two torsion rods, mounted crosswise near the trunk hinge mounting points to the car body, that will raise the trunk lid once its unlocked. Several adjusting positions available to adjust the tension.
    I'll look later...anyone tried looking for/adjusting these?
  • burkburk Member Posts: 1
    The demo that I drove had the ash tray storage compartment.

The option is available. I looked into it several months ago but was put off by the cost. I don't recall the price but it was much more than I considered reasonable.
    The LS 430 trunk lid only opens about 1/2 inch when released automatically or by switch from the inside. That's the way it's worked since at least 2001. I have a feeling that they designed it that way to be more compatible with the auto trunk closing feature???
    Don't think you will find torsion rods on a LS430 as the hinges are mounted on the top sides of the trunk enclosure just under the lid. They do not proturde into the trunk cavity at all. That way they don't smash the luggage.
  • suxelsuxel Member Posts: 2
    Re 2004 LS430:
    Rcvd factory notice last week that there is an "anamoly" with the GPS on my 430. It will be a dealer fix at no cost; the free fix will also include an updated map at no cost.
    They said that some of the locations/directions are incorrect. I know this to be true, because if I followed info to my house, I would be going in opposite direction once I was within 200 feet of destination.
    This just a heads up. My dealer is Lexus of Memphis. P.S. Dealer was unaware of this problem until I phoned for my appt.
    Had a new DVD NAV update 4.2 version installed today at no charge on my 2005 LS430.
  • wclarkwclark Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a '90 LS400 with only 82K miles. It is a fine car but already the antenna has given up on me. When i removed the inner panel inside the trunk to get to the antenna I noticed a box similar to a CPU. This on had a key inserted. The key rotated 90 degrees, obviously turning something off & on.

Any idea what this box is? The previous owner is a friend but is somewhat odd. Could he have installed something, a radar deter maybe?

thanx
    Analog so maybe like me junked everything else.
  • sail2daysail2day Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 LS430 steering wheel assembly occasionally groans when retracting after the ignition is turned off.Any similar experiences? What is the solution?
    That was a known problem with that year. There was a service bulletin (TSB)issued to fix it, and after that was done the noise went away. See if the service records show that fix ever being done to your car. There were 90+ postings on the groan in 2001. One of them #1646 on the Lexus LS board gave the instructions for a temporary fix by resetting the travel limits in each direction. My memory is that the groan was more pronounced in the summer.
    No problem (after 1 mo) with my 2005. (sailor also)
    My 2001 LS430 steering wheel assembly occasionally groans when retracting after the ignition is turned off.Any similar experiences? What is the solution?
    What should the tach read when traveling 70mph in my 2001 LS 430 on 17" wheels?
    I've heard that's a common complaint.
    I would guess about 2100 RPM. I'll check it tomorrow on my 2005 LS430 with 17" rims and let you know ASAP. However, the 2005 is six speed transmission v.v. five speed on the 2001.