Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What do you like about hatchbacks?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    an '02.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    anything new about the Honda Jazz? When will it be here and what size engine? Thanks!
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    32 inch TV in its box
    3 - 5 gallon water bottles
    Tool box
    Unassembled TV stand
    My wife
    Me

and on a seperate occasion a Maytag Neptune washing machine. The hatch had to stay open about one inch though.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Civic hatches have a lot more room inside than one might imagine...

Is the Jazz really coming here?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Here's a direct link to our Honda Fit/Jazz discussion. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    momo8517momo8517 Member Posts: 1
    bigass gas grill + sewing machine + 3pcs. 10ft copper pipe...back closed!!!
  • Options
    smashersmasher Member Posts: 31
    I routinely tossed my bike in there, with no need to take off either wheel. (Each of my bikes fit, even the most bulky one with the beer basket on the handlebars.) It went in front-wheel first, turned down between the folded rear seat and the back of the front seat.

I was able to pack a week's worth of camping stuff (tent, sleeping bag, stove, lantern, etc.), my bike, a spare wheelset, a cooler, and a bunch of groceries in there without any problems.

One day I brought home two big bookcases, each about 3 ft x 4 ft x 1 ft, one on top of the other, and I was able to close the hatch.

A 27" TV in the box, able to close the hatch.

Large microwave (the biggest one Sharp makes) in the box, able to close the hatch.

A five-foot long countertop and a couple of 8-ft 2x4s (with the front seat folded all the way forward); I was able to close the hatch.

Two big plastic storage shelving units (broken down, but in their boxes); I was able to close the hatch.

Two friends (one in the front seat, one in the back seat, with the other side folded down), a metal storage cabinet, a big steel kitchen stool, a couple of good-sized book boxes, and a bike on a removable trunk rack.

For me, I can do most of my little errands, short hops around town, and some of my commuting on a bike; the car is for commuting the rest of the time (especially in the winter), road trips, and hauling big stuff. I don't know why people think they need big SUVs; I can't really think of anything I wasn't able to bring home in my Integra, except maybe my bed and the sofa. The only thing which kind of sucked about it was the high liftover and short cargo-compartment height with the cargo shelf in place. Other than those little nits, that car rocked!
  • Options
    jsfocusjsfocus Member Posts: 16
    I leased a 2000 Ford focus ZTS sedan, and had every intention of buying it at lease end. However, upon test-driving the ZX5, I realized how much better the visibility was out the rear window of the hatchback. The difference was truly remarkable. Being 5'2", when looking out the back window of the ZTS, I could see the steering wheel and head of the driver behind me. In the ZX5 hatchback, I could actually see the tires of the car behind me on the road.

I gave back my leased ZTS and purchased the ZX5 5-door hatchback. With the greatly increased rear visibility, I feel much more at ease and safer. Changing lanes is a breeze in the ZX5 compared to the ZTS. In addition, the visibility out the right hand side of the car is awesome (because of lots of glass). And, I no longer worry about possibly running some little kid over while I reverse.

My mother told me, "Better safe than sorry...give up the sedan with the high back and get the hatchback."
  • Options
    jsfocusjsfocus Member Posts: 16
    One thing I loved about my leased 2000 Ford Focus ZTS is that it felt like it was floating on air whenever I drove it. In comparison, my newly purchased 2003 Focus ZX5 hatchback feels quite bumpy. It reacts to all the bumps in the road. I prefer the ZTS ride quality. It seemed like it was driving itself and all I had to do was place one finger on the steering wheel (to show that I was in control...LOL)

Why is there such a difference between the ride quality of these two models?

Is it because:

- the hatchback is 7 inches shorter in length? The height and width are exactly the same. The hatchback is 36 pounds heavier.

- am I closer to the ground in the hatchback?

- did Ford change the suspension since 2000 models?

- is the hatchback being broken in and will become smoother later? My first drive with the hatchback was at 20KM, and my 2000 sedan first drive was after it already had 5000km on it.

I am finding that the steering wheel of the hatchback is looser than in the 2000 ZTS. Therefore, the steering seems to pull itself slightly to the left or right as it reacts to the bumps in the road. I'm going to take my car back to the dealership and compare the steering column to the sedan I returned 3 days ago.

Well...the biggest plus about the hatchback is the much much better rear visibility and right-hand side visibility, when compared to the sedan ZTS.
  • Options
    spencer19spencer19 Member Posts: 17
    In my 1989 Mercury Tracer 4-door hatchback was a dozen 8 foot long, 4 by 4 inch landscaping ties - and I closed the hatchback! Could have even fit more in, but a dozen was all I needed.

Wish they still made the Tracer, I'd get another one in a second. I'm currently looking, close to getting a Mazda Protege5. Wonder what the salesman would look like if I showed up with an 8' landscaping tie to see how it fits :-)

Terri
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Havent seen any musicians posting so here goes:

2001 Elantra GT (bassplayer)

1) Carvin 600W 2X10 combo amp

2) Mackie 1200W PA head

3) G&L 5-string in hardcase

4) Fender Jazz 5-string in hardcase

5) 400W monitor amp

6) two 12" wedge monitor speakers

7) Carvin 15" bass bottom

8) 3 bags full of cables,mikes, soldering iron (why am I the only one that solders in a band).

The GT handled fine but my headlights were pointing at the clouds.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
  • Options
    jimc93sijimc93si Member Posts: 34
    Every year I stuff a 10-12 foot (unwrapped) Christmas tree in my 93 Civic hb. One year I took the family of 4 on vacation in that car from Florida to Va. Just packed using collapsible luggage and told everyone to bring clothes for four days and wear everything twice :)
This discussion has been closed.