Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

NEW MINI !!!!

hsohso Member Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in MINI
Anybody know when can we buy this great little car
in U.S and how much it will cost? When it sell in
the states, it will effect the sales of VW Beetle!!
Simply better car than Beetle.

Comments

• peter41peter41 Member Posts: 15
    yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Read about it in the paper the other day, but only vague comments about when it will be here, didn't even say for sure. Is this a hatchback? I think it will be sold through BMW dealerships. Anyone have more specific info on this little car?
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    It is too bad they stopped importing Minis. The only Mini I have seen around central Ohio is a 1969 Austin 1200, which looks like a Mini but I don't think it really is one. If they get 40mpg or better I might part with my Metro for one, but the way these articles look, I don't think they will be the economy car variety, just the weekend warrior type. Show me a 1200cc Mini for $12,000 USD and I'll show you a bank cheque.
  • hsohso Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys...
    Mini is coming to US in late 2001.
    Only one version will offer--> Mini Cooper S!!
    I don't have enough information about the price yet. But,I assume it will cost around $20,000. I send an e-mail regarding the new Mini to BMW of USA but, no reply yet. I guess they don't care!:( Maybe BMW of USA will surprise us by relasing the car earlier(sometime in 2000)with a decent price(under $20,000). I really wish this will happen!!!
    New Mini will debut at the British Motor Show in October. And the launch for the New Mini is expected in the spring 20001. Sources state that BMW has definitive plans to export the New Mini in all versions to the USA from 2001/2002 on.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Cool! I'd love to see the New Mini here.

carlady/host
  • alfaromeoalfaromeo Member Posts: 210
    I too would love to see that car in the US, as I would love to see so many more of the nice 'hatches' which are sold in Europe. But why is it that some incessantly need to say that 'this car is better than that'?
    Life is long enough that you can enjoy several, and in any car enthusiast's interest, the more models the merrier.
    The post which provoked me was the one comparing the Mini to the Golf. C'mon... let's be serious, it's apples and oranges! The Mini's size makes it stand apart - even in Europe, where 'mini cars' are aplenty.
    As a European, I only fear that American roads would be the greatest obstacle for the Mini.
    The pot holes in the US are numerous and ...big! Not a treat for those small wheels!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I'm interested in expanding the hatchback choices available in the US. The mini won't work everywhere but it will work in some markets. I agree that the best car for you is the best car for YOU!

There is a mini in our neighborhood in Our Nation's Capital, a major supplier of killer potholes. So far, so good. ;-)

carlady/host
  • jmphxjmphx Member Posts: 2
    I second that ...

Why do they call them "Familly sedans" anyway? I can't imagine anything less practical for a familly. A mini (hatchback) would be a lot more use!
    I too would love to see more 'hatches' in the US. Being from Europe, I will always miss the variety of cars offered on the 'old continent' - and particularly in the small car segment.
    In Europe, the 'Mini' falls into what people refer to as 'lifestyle' cars, and as such do not really compare with the 'rest' of 'em.
    Examples of 'lifestyle' cars: New Beetle, Mercedes A-Class, Swatch's Smart-Car, and an array of less 'visible' cars set apart by their design and specific 'premium'-marketing.
    In other words, if you wan't to stand apart from the crowd... be prepared to pay for it!

When that is said, I think the new Mini looks dead cool, and is probably a lot of fun to drive!
    ...I was typing a bit fast...
  • kevonovichkevonovich Member Posts: 1
    Where is it?

Whens it coming out?

HUH¡¿¡¿¡¿
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    Autoweek's been publishing briefs on the new Mini lately. Looks like it may be here in about six months and carried through BMW dealers.

With the break-up/sale of the Rover group, whether the Mini was headed this way has been unclear. The outstanding questions were whether it would be headed this way at all and whether Land Rover or BMW would carry it.

The latest was that like we'll get the "Cooperized" version.

We used to have a 1966 Mini Cooper S 970 cc We still have a Moke, of all things. So, my wife can't wait until the new Mini comes over. She really wants one. She's in Europe as I'm writing this, and will be stopping in the UK on the way back to visit with someone I work with. The woman has an MGF, and her steady has a Lotus Elise. So, I'll actually consider myself lucky if all I get off with is a Mini.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I'm number 17 at my local BMW dealer, my buddy is #16. Should be here in less than a year.
  • kostamojenkostamojen Member Posts: 55
    Damn, 17 people signed up? And its not coming out til Fall? Wow...

I heard the Cooper S wont be out til a few months after the initial release though...
    That's 17 on the list - when the list was only a day and a half old. Only 70 BMW dealers will be able to sell the MINI from what I've read. The dealer has to commit to building a separate sales facility including a lifestyle boutique for the MINI. My dealer is Fields BMW in Orlando, Florida. I told my sales person that I wanted on the Mini waiting list as soon as there was one, that was about 4 months ago. He was off the day they started the list so I wasn't able to sign up until the second day hence 17th in line (arrrgh!). My sales person doesn't have any real info on it - just that their dedicated MINI sales facility will be finished in 6 months with the cars arriving a few months after that. He seems to think the S will be available from the start. If the S is not available initially, I will wait until they start making them. I had to put a $1,000 fully refundable deposit down to get on the list. He said that when they are able to order them I'll get a call to come in and order my car exactly how I want it, for delivery a couple of months later.
    WOW..
    many messages since my last message on March..
    I thought I was the only one who's crazy about this car but,I guess many people are interested in Mini now.. :)

wanna know latest news on Mini??????

Mini Cooper S Works !!! Yes it's different from Cooper S(155 hp).

Specs of Cooper S Works..
    - 200 hp !!
    - power-to-weight ratio of 174hp per tone
    - 0-60mph in less than six seconds
    - top speed of over 150mph
    - Approved by BMW and will developed by John Cooper's Garage in Sussex, England
    - Just 150 of this special Works edition will be available each year

Imagine driving this beauty...

I waited since 1997 to own a New Mini. I guess I have to wait little longer to buy Works edition.
    How did you find out about the S works edition - any word on price? I'll bet there will be a lot of aftermarket available for this car some day. I'm still going for an S with a plan on aftermarket mods. With only 150 works editions available I doubt I'd want to pay that price premium, if it's even available in the U.S.
  • digideliadigidelia Member Posts: 4
    I just love this car. I have some concerns, though. They didn't use full frame doors.

I have a Neon and that is one of the major drawbacks of the car. Because the door doesn't have a frame around the window, it doesn't seal with the rest of the car as well as it should. The windows are leaky and they can be very noisy too.

I just hope that they took that into consideration when they decided to use those types of doors.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Full frame doors decrease the structural integrety of the car. With the new MINI having a major commitment to safety, its safe to say they did it for that reason (and maybe cause it costs more too).

As for the price... $18k? Thats a little much... Even if it is a "baby BMW"... Thats not even the Cooper S either. For $18k, theres going to be major competition... I wish they could keep it around $15k :(
    That is a great point, I never thought about that...
    I would be willing to pay anything under 20k for one of these. (Granted it drives as well as I hope it does.)
    165hp with a car that weighs a little over a ton. That must've taken some major engineering.
    BMW has perfected frameless windows - my old 92 325is and 2000 M coupe - both frameless windows that are more quiet than a framed window. When you pull on the door handle to open the door the window retracts about a half inch. After you get in and close the door the window goes back up into the rubber channel - no wind leaks or noise. The old 92 was as quiet at over 150k miles as the day it was driven off the lot brand new. I'm sure the New Mini will have the same feature. I'll bet the New Mini will have a lot of typical BMW over engineering built in - you'll get what you pay for.
    I wonder if they will make a rally car out of the Mini...
    If they did I'll bet that would mean some kick-[non-permissible content removed] aftermarket mods that would be available.
    rickrover..

Mini Cooper S Works will cost about 2000 pounds more than Cooper S model.

news..
    Cooper's garage claim that their engineers are already getting 192hp from the current 1.6-litre supercharged engine.

Another info..

There is rumor that BMW has secret plan to develop a small capacity direct engine for use in the new Mini and forthcoming BMW 2-series.

I'm sure everybody knows that new Mini's 1.6-litre four cylinder engine is built in Brazil by Tritec-joint venture between BMW and Chrysler(not Daimler Chrylser). This engine is cheap to produce but technically deficient by BMW standards. Actually this engine was planned for the Rover car(code name R30). However, BMW no longer in possession of Rover.

BMW's new engine will replace the current 1.6- litre engine in the middle of the decade.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    I'd definitely like a look at the Mini. I'm not looking to replace my Golf for at least 2 more years so I should be right on time.

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
  • paul_mullettpaul_mullett Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

There is a new website I have just launched dedicated to the new MINI.

I am looking for as many interested people as possible to come along and help make the site the central resource and community for the BMW MINI.

Please come and have a look,

http://www.mini2.com

Paul@mini2.com

hso, please contact me.. I like the "s" info you have there!

I just discovered BMW has a website for the US Mini as well - www.miniusa.com. It has a map of the US with the number of Mini dealers that will be in each part of a state. They aren't saying what actual dealers names are of the BMW dealers yet. They said they will have that information sometime during the first quarter of 2000. All I know is my BMW dealer waited over a month to cash my deposit check, they say they are definately one of the selected dealers now.
    that is a very nice site, paul. you have photos that i've never seen, and i thought i'd seen em all :)

man, that thing sure does look nice in the snow.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    in our new Mini Cooper (2002) discussion. Please feel free to copy/paste any of your messages over there. Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

This discussion has been closed.