Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• marikamarika Member Posts: 39
    I am sorry, I can't answer your pricing questions. I expect that the base model will be at least as expensive as what you wrote above, but probably even higher. Also I am expecting 22 mpg city, a decrease which is totally unacceptable to me. Unless they plan to bring significantly more efficient options without another huge price hitch attached with options I don't want, such as a sunroof that will leak, more electronics to fail, ad nauseum. To add insult to injury they refuse to bring the Polo, which would fit my niche pretty well. And they wonder why sales are lagging here.
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    If the price (and weight) of the Golf keep rising and the MPG remains low on the 2.5L 5-cylinder, VW is going to continue to suffer from low sales. Don't expect many TDIs to come to the USA either. If fuel economy and a hatchback are important to you, other manufacturers will be bringing them to the USA in early 2006, e.g, the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. Both offerings will be cheaper than the Golf. The Honda fit has almost exactly the same inside dimensions as my Golf III. It does look a bit funky, though, compared to the Golf. See more here: http://fitfreak.net/forums/index.php?
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Even for the Jetta there are a number of enthusiasts who don't like the 2.5 engine. It seems to be neither here nor there: not the greatest power, no discernible new technology to speak of, and frankly unimpressive fuel economy when combined with the MkV Jetta weight. The other side of the coin is, with the Jetta's new size, safety features, and weight, the 2.5 does fairly well as a base engine, and should be bullet proof & maintanance free.

For those of us who drive a lot, there is always the hope that the TDI makes it to the Golf (and to the States that fool themselves into thinking a couple of Golfs will spew out as much soot as all the 20-year old big-trucks do).

Then there is the 2.0TFSI - in my opinion, the better engine choice. Not only do you get 25mpg city on paper - all personal reviews I have seen have this engine trump the 2.5 in mileage by - miles. Oh yeah, then you get ~ 200hp at low rpms and over a wide rpm range to boot. Better than many small V6 engines. Available before the Golf in the GTI in February, and as a 5-door GTI (and perhaps Golf) in June, if everything goes well.

Finally, for those of us who are very patient, there are the tempting twin-charged engine (like the 1.4 that makes 170-hp, and the higher volume versions) that undoubtedly will make it to the US, eventually.

The Golf is a low-sales car for VW in the US, so don't expect many variations to arrive, any time soon. The Jetta and Passat are a different story.

On the other hand, for those of us who wish for a smaller, more lightweight VW, there is always the hope (stirred by recent rumors) that the Polo will soon make it to the US.

Pricing? Just released GTI prices have it about $1,500 less than the GLI. Look at the Jetta prices and configurations, and subtract that, for guidance. Add $500 for 5 doors in the Golf.
  • gti50gti50 Member Posts: 1
    I dropped by my nearest VW dealer yesterday to pick up some Golf TDI literature, and they informed me that the 2006 Golf gasoline models will be available in the USA in March. The diesel will not be available until one year from now for the model year 2007. I guess there will be a wait. Oh well, save your money, they are NOT inexpensive.
  • albob1albob1 Member Posts: 1
    HI All

I have an intermitent problem with my MK3 golf, there seems to be a problem with being in Gear. As it's an automatic it can't pick up neutral. Do you suspect this to be a big problem or is it as simple as changing the switch?

cheers
  • manoamanoa Member Posts: 3
    I have a Golf 2003 with 45000 miles. Last night I opened the car door with remote. However, when I turned my key to start my car, I heard a "click" sound, and the backlight flashed once and then power was gone, and car was dead completely. Even the remote didn't work. I waited for a couple hours, and came back. I found I can use the remote to open the door, and there are displays of time and mileage. The mileage display also blinked, and I heard a small "click" sound with the same frequency. However, I still cannot start the car. And the display went away immediately after I turned my key to start the car. The remote also didn't work after that. Does anyone know what's wrong with my car? Thanks.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    dead battery
  • bonzoidbonzoid Member Posts: 1
    Hey, thanks a million for this info! Was having the exact same problem and sure enough simply squeezing the grommet released a bunch of water. I'm guessing this happens more with "outside" cars, getting gunk clogged in those drain lines. Anyway, you probably saved me a couple hundred bucks to have a dealer "fix" the problem - kudos!
  • z_manz_man Member Posts: 15
    My wife drives it and recently, check engine light came on. Car has 54K and friend of mine, who is mechanic tested it and it showed oxygen sensor. Also, my turn signal relay went bad too. It will start working on its own. That was replaced few months ago since it was a recall for that (even though mine was working just fine). I read somewhere that VW extended warranty on mass air flow sensor on '99+ year model to 70K but my diller of course knows nothing about it. Is that air flow sensor same as oxygen sensor? Can this be replaced under warranty?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    As you know, the New Jetta's price shot up dramatically from the IV to the V. Even the "Value Editions" which are hard to find were a full 2 grand higher than the previous base Jetta.

This is not true the MSRP of VE Jetta is 17,900 vs. $17,680 for base 2005 Jetta GL. This is an increase of $220. The invoice increased somewhat more...about $875.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/volkswagen/jetta/index.html

Since the Golf base MSRP was about $1500 below Jetta GL, maybe the new one will be about $1500 less than the new Jetta. The invoice on 2005 Golf was about $1000 less than Jetta GL, so that might be a more likely price difference since the markup on VE Jetta is so small. My guess would be MSRP of $16,900 for the 2006 VE Golf.
  • figofigo Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, i hope that somebody can help me, My problem is that when i was driving over 100 km/h for a long time , the engine sign turned on, when i left the car in the vw company, they said that it was a temporary fail, that there was no problem, and cleared the codes in the computer, the next time that i needed to travel, the sign turned again on. do you have any experience in these? could you give any kind of information??
    best regards....
    It is not normal for the CEL (Ceck Engine Light) to come on. Without knowing the actual code which caused the CEL to come on, we really cannot help very much.
  • caarqbcaarqb Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone offer advise? - my 1996 VW Passat has check engine light on - two codes, bank 1 engine to rich and throttle body. I have repaired any vacuum hose leaks and replaced oxygen sensors, also replaced air filter - had computer reset only to have it come back. Dealer said throttle body replacement was $600 and could not be sure this would fix the issue. I also have a cracked oil stick cap - could this be part of the problem?
    The "engine too rich" may be the MAF sensor... need to diagnose further to isolate problem better.
    The 2001 models have 7-year/ 70,000 mile extended warantee on the MAF sensor. It is KNOWN to cause "running rich" conditions. The O2(lambda) sensor may sense this condition but it DOES NOT mean that the O2 sensor is bad. (In reality, the O2 sensor it just doing its job and telling you about the condition.)

I am not sure if this extendee warantee is offerend in your country.
    Thanks for you reply!

I live in same country as you, so yes, it is offered. I asked few times, in different dilerships about this since I already read this somewhere but service advisors told me that they are not aware of it. Now, thanks to you and this letter, I hope that they will realize that they cannot lie to me anymore. Now, I just have to find a way how to avoid paying for diagnostic since it was checked by my friend who is mechanic and has that computer that they use.
    (z_man) My daughter went thru this with her 2001 Golf. I had ALREADY diagnosed her MAF as being bad using my VAGCOM.

She did not have any problems with the dealership acknowledging the existance of the extended warantee.... but they did have some criteriea that had to be met before they would "cover" it.

The dealerships seem to have a policy as follows;

A dealership MUST hook your car up to their diagnostic computer and verify that the MAF is bad. Then the diagnostic and replacing the MAF is FREE OF CHARGE.
    (They need "proof" so VW will pay for everything.)
    HOWEVER: If they cannot diagnose the MAF as being bad... then the CUSTOMER has to pay for the diagnostic procedure.

In the end, my daughter got diagnostics and a new MAF installed free of charge.

I wish you luck 8-)
    Thanks bpeebles, I appreciate your help. I will call one of the dilerships here in AZ to see what they can do!

Z_man
  • norcoastnorcoast Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Golf that has been to the dealers twice already and will be going back again for a third time. Lemon? i will be talking to a Lemon Law advocate also.
  • koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    I was looking for a GOLF TDI for my friend in Washington state.
    Got a email back from dealer saying none for another year.
    Anybody hear otherwise?
    I checked local dealer inventory and none available.

(What a messed up company!
    They never have the cars people want and insist on making large luxury cars nobody wll buy from them.
    Who wants a luxury VW which will break down continuously when they can get a BMW or Mercedes?
    Anyway)
    The unavailability of TDIs is due to sharpened emissions regulations, while at the same time the low sulfur Diesel (that is necessary to implement the low emissions features) got delayed introduction in the US. Blame your government, not VW.

Low sulfur Diesel and low-emissions technologies have been available in Europe for many years, now.
    I have an 02 Golf that has been to the dealers twice already and will be going back again for a third time. Lemon? i will be talking to a Lemon Law advocate also.

JAG, I don't understand. You have a 4-year old car that has only been to the dealer 3 times, and you complain? Lemon laws apply to new cars, only.

If it has been the same problem each time, make sure you get additional warranty from the dealer (for free) on that item.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Their biggest selling car is the Jetta...last time I checked that was not a "large luxury car".

I think you need to blame your "messed up" government for the non-availability of diesels.
  • koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    I don't agree with that acessment entirely, since the Jetta TDI is fairly available.
    The cars I'm referring to as luxury are th Phaeton and Toureng.
    I can't believe they are selling many of those although they probably have a big profit margin.
  • meggabitzmeggabitz Member Posts: 6
    Incorrect, lemon laws apply to both NEW and USED (depending on the state).
    See link to find out your state law:

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

JAG, I don't understand. You have a 4-year old car that has only been to the dealer 3 times, and you complain? Lemon laws apply to new cars, only.

If it has been the same problem each time, make sure you get additional warranty from the dealer (for free) on that item.
    Thank you for this unsolicited plug for Krohn & Moss, Ltd.. The original poster was from Ohio. Your's Krohn&Moss faithful state, for Ohio:
    ...If a new motor vehicle does not conform to any applicable express warranty and the consumer reports the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer during the period of one year following the date of original delivery or during the first eighteen thousand miles of operation, whichever is earlier, the manufacturer,...

California has 18 months/ 18,000 miles. If you know of a state that has 4 years/ 48,000 miles, please let me know. I always like to learn new things. ;)
  • bdon_xbdon_x Member Posts: 3
    i have a 95 golf gl.
    my 95 golf gl wont tell me where its trunk release is.
    :mad:
    so my question is...
    HOW do you release the fuel door.

thanks.
    When the doors are unlocked, the fuel door is also unlocked.
    The trunk release button is under the lid of the storage bin between the front seats. I guess you don't have the manual.
  • logos2199logos2199 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I'm a complete newby to all of this and know nothing about the internal workings of a car but here goes;

How easy is it to lower the suspension on a VW Golf? Do you have to buy a new suspension kit all together or is it possible to lower the current suspension that the car comes with? My dad's quite good with cars - would he be able to do it or would it still be a job for the pros?

Cheerz.
  • 96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    thanks for this. Ever since I saw the Audi A3 at a local auto show last year, I've been waiting for this Golf! I think this is a segment that some people are missing - the sporty hatch/wagon. I just hope the 4 door isn't too small and that this early 30-something won't look like I'm going through mid-life crisis when driving it :P
    Reads like it was written by the VW press boys. Nevertheless, the MK V is on my short list for a replacement for my '96 Golf III. What's not mentioned is the base price, which I've heard (rumored) will be close to $17,000 for the four door w/ manual transmission. Ouch.

>Just read it here
    > http://www.topspeed.com/fast_cars/volkswagen/volkswagen_golf_v-ar2141.html
  • 96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    Just curious - what else is on your short list?

That is a common problem with VW, their cars are very expensive, particulalry compared to something in the same category. They are priced between the standard brands and luxury. It's an interesting pricing strategy, but hey, it seems to work.
    >That is a common problem with VW, their cars are very >expensive, particulalry compared to something in the same >category.

Well said. But the "German driving experience" has been worth it. (Repeat this five times a day.)

>Just curious - what else is on your short list?

Hmmm. Well, I looked long and hard at the Mazda 3i, but after driving it, I came away underwhelmed. My '96 Golf rides and handles just as well, though I'm sure the 3s is much sportier all around - and more expensive.

For economy and storage, the Honda Fit looks great. I'm not enamored with its styling and have never warmed up to Hondas. Seems kind of small for the American road system. I'm reserving judgment till I see one in person (in April?)
  • davidlfdavidlf Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2006 Golf GL 5-speed manual and at 70 mph the tachometer registers about 3600 RPMs. That's about 1000 RPMs higher than any other car I've owned running at the same speed, even cars with less horesepower than the Golf, and seems excessively high. Is this normal for a Golf, or do I have a problem? Thanks for any responses.
    >at 70 mph the tachometer registers about 3600 RPMs.

VW engines rev high for the most part. 3600 RPM doesn't sound excessive. I assume you have the 2.0L engine. However, my 96 Golf w/ automatic doesn't rev that high at 70 MPH. Have you checked other forums for better info? Try
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled?gvc=2
    Which engine do you have? I thought that the 5-cylinder has replaced to ol 4cylinder 2.0L?
  • davidlfdavidlf Member Posts: 2
    Nope. It's the 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter. I guess what I'll have to do is go test drive another one and see if the rpms are the same. Arrgggh.
    Which engine do you have? I thought that the 5-cylinder has replaced to ol 4cylinder 2.0L?

He bought the outgoing model (MkIV) Golf. While the new MkV GTI with the 2.0TFSI engine has been out for a few weeks, the new Golf with the 2.5 5-cyl. (or the 4-door GTI) won't be available until about June/July.

If I don't forget to do it, I'll check what mine does at 70mph. I would guess around 3000rpm.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Nothing wrong at all with your 2.0 5 speed. The automatics are geared much higher to permit quiet cruising. VW philosophy is that the Golf 5 speed should always be "ready to go" - generaly, no need for a downshift if you are driving 70 or 80. At 80, the two Mark IV's that I had were turning close to 4,000 rpm - but so smooth. Still smooth and powerful at 100.

4th still has some power curve left in it at 80 even with the low gearing. On mountain roads driving 50 or 60 I would often throw a downshift to fourth or third then run it up to redline to pass slow traffic.

The 5 speed is truly a joy in the 2.0.

For BEST performance, run premium in your 2.0 as recommended by the brochure and the manual. It will run on regular fine, but will make more power on premium.

Look up www.toptiergas.com for some great recommendations on gasoline. Most manufacturers have gradually reduced the detergents in their gas to federal minimum requirements, which are based on almost 30 year old BMW fuel injector tests. Chevron, Conoco-Phillips (and their brand, Union 76), and Shell have kept a lot of detergents in their gas, and keep your car running top performance.

Your car's engine, although based on the 70's Rabbit GTi, has been updated over the years and is highly refined. It is smoother than the 5 cylinder and some drivers (myself included) are a little disappointed that the 5 cylinder doesn't feel much stronger and certainly doesn't run too smooth. The 2.0 oil recommendation is 5W-40. Although I have heard traditional "dino oil" in Europe can satisfy both this viscosity grade AND the VW specification (5xx.x) in your owner's manual, in this country the only oils that satisfy both the grade requirement and the VW spec are all synthetic. Look for 5-40 Pennzoil or Quaker State in bottles labelled "European Formula" or words to that effect; Mobil 1 0-40; or Castrol 5-40 Syntec, which my dealer used for its synthetic oil changes. If you aren't sure, check the bottle to see if it satisfies the VW spec or check the manufacturer's website.

My dealer told me that 5-30 oil can be used, since the 2.0 isn't a turbo; and the manual states, somewhat enigmatically, that "5-30 may be used if 5-40 is not available." Which is VW speak for "we would never do it, but you American's insist on the cheapest possible oil." Also keep in mind that American 5-30's don't satisfy the VW spec and are not "long life" and therefore shouldn't be kept in the crankcase for the full 10,000 mile interval VW permits.

On my first Mk IV I didn't take this stuff seriously; I believed in good oil, but thought dealers were overpriced. Since I had trouble finding 0-40 at Walmart, which is very cheap for oil, I ran Mobil 1 5-30 instead. This is full synthetic, and I was only running 5,000 mile oil change intervals, and I never had a problem. Unfortunately I didn't know that VW REQUIRES a drain pan bolt replacement at every oil change as a routine part of the oil change process, and as a result (and also, I am sure, due to aggressive lube shop mechanics) I lost an oil pan, thus giving back all the savings I got from cheap oil changes.

On my later 2004 Golf, I checked the dealer prices, found out they were reasonable (about $89 for a full synthetic 5-40 oil change with a superior VW oil filter and new drain pan plug).

I got far enough with the 2001 to need a 40,000 mile major service, which includes an oil change, spark plug change, cabin filter change, and air filter change. Plus the usual numerous inspections. This ran me $300, thanks to shopping around and a dealer discount coupon. Some dealers wanted up to $500. These prices are competitive; my Honda dealer wants $500 for a 30,000 mile "tune up" on a car with 100,000 mile spark plugs and fluids. At least on the VW the dealer was doing some real work.

VW has very demanding specifications and the market for replacement fluids is so small in the States that anything generic you find on a Kragen shelf or at a lube shop is apt to be the wrong stuff (even if it claims VW compatibility), and may cause more harm than good. I wouldn't put anything other than genuine VW fluids into a modern VW.

I don't want to give the impression that VW's are high maintenance. They are VERY low maintenance, BUT very particular about what they want. :P

Have fun. Don't be afraid of the RPM. You might hate your first VW, go back to a Honda, but I guarantee you that later on you will miss the VW....
  • bdon_xbdon_x Member Posts: 3
    1995 VW Golf 4-door hatch 2.0L manual
    for as long as ive had my car the bank 1 sensor was out. is it neccessary to replace it? and if it is, where is it? i cant spot it out..

thanks.
  • boy1984boy1984 Member Posts: 1
    I've been doing a lot of research on purchasing a used VW Golf. My father had a VW Rabbit way back when, and he loved it. Ive had many cheap cars, mostly domestic, which were the kind you pray before turning the key. I will be graduating from college in a couple months, and I need a car for a commute to work. I am leaning toward the VW Golf GL, 2 or 4 door hatchback. 2003 or newer. I feel the value is great, and the style is good for me.

I do have a few questions:

I am a big guy, 6'2", 300lbs. Will the golf be comfortable for me? I will be driving alone mostly, just commuting to work.

My primary desires in a new car are fuel efficiency, and reliability. I've been through the constant repairs, and headaches. I need at least a couple pain free years. Is a VW Golf going to work for me?

I hope the VW will work out, I love the VWs!

Thanks,
    -Drew
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said, in part:

My primary desires in a new car are fuel efficiency, and reliability. I've been through the constant repairs, and headaches. I need at least a couple pain free years. Is a VW Golf going to work for me?

I doubt it. I owned a 2001 and 2004 Golf and they are upscale for a small car - that is their allure, not bulletproof reliability.

I had a frustrating ECM problem with the first one and no problems (albeit a much shorter period of ownership) with the second, sorry to see it go but needed a minivan.

However, VW way at the end of the line on Consumer Reports' list of reliable cars, and there are a lot of anecdotal reports of problems and bad dealers, in terms of fixing those problems the first (second, or third) time around.

So unless you are prepared to work around the problems (which are not insurmountable given a healthy dose of patience and proximity to a good dealer - this is 2006 after all) you should just buy a Corolla (the new Civic has teething problems).

Also, consider this: a person with 10 problems with a Corolla waits patiently while the dealer fixes them and never doubts the integrity of the brand. On the other hand, a person with 3 problems on a VW or American car freaks out and immediately starts a vitriolic campaign against them everywhere he or she can post.

American and VW cars seem to create paranoia in their purchasers (the "knew I shouldn't have bought this" syndrome). You seem like a perfect candidate for this syndrome.... ;)
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    Since you will soon graduate from college, I assume you have limited funds for a down payment on a used 2003+ car. However, you do have a job lined up. Have you looked into leasing a new car? A new car warranty for the duration of the lease would be less expensive than buying an extended warranty on a used car, and would give you more peace of mind than taking your chances on a used car without a warranty. A Golf may be a tight fit for you. You'd be better off actually trying out a few different hatchbacks for comparison rather than asking for other people's opinions.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    While we North American are still patiently waiting for the fifth generation of the VW Golf, guess what the Volks at Wolfsburg are apparently planning soon?

A sixth generation Golf!

But dont get too excited since we will have to wait about a half a decade after the VW VI intro in Europe in order to buy one here(just about the time when Europeans will be driving the newer VW VII) :(

link title
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Wow,

it appears this forum is a solo forum consisting merely of myself.

So in order to provoke some dialogue I am going to respond to my own post:

Hey Dewey,

Here is a link with more information about the 6th generation Golf.

Enjoy,

link title
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...when there's something to talk about, we'll talk. Translation: when VW gets off its butt and actually starts to bring the new Golf to our market, we'll have something to discuss. Until then....

It's been beaten to death before, but VW seems to have a terminal problem with the NA market. Meanwhile, Toyota marches on....
    I beleive that the new GTI is part of the "golf" family. I rode along when my daughter test-drove one the other day.

The accelleration from the 2.0L trubocharged engine can pin one to the seat. The cornering abilities are unmatched. (Salseman took cloverleaf at speed that would make lesser cars squirm) The ESP never came on and the salesman said that during his training, this car has taken the same corner at 10 MPH faster before ESP kicked in.

The seats are VERY supportive and the new IRS (Indipendant Rear Suspension) makes the vehicle significantly more stable over uneven roads. I spoke to an Audi TT owner that says that the VW GTI is very close to the performance of his TT at half the price.

My daughter then test-drove a Mazda RX8 (Only rotary engine available in USA) Although the Mazda looks cool and sounds AWESOME with an engine that freely reves well beyond 8,000 RPM.

After the GTI, my daughter was not impressed by the RX8.

How is that for some comments on the new Golf?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...if you consider the Golf to be a $22k+ car. When most of us speak about the new Golf, we're referring to a car that can be purchased for under $20k. The GTI is fine for what it is. What about the rest of the line?
    My goodness... if you are concerned about a 2 thousand dollar difference , perhaps you should not be looking at a NEW car. Since I keep my cars a minimum of 10 years... that 2,000 dollars amortizies to about $16/month.

When I look for an automobile which I am going to keep for over 10 years... I look for somthing that I want to be in for that long.... price is perhaps 3rd or 4th on my list.

Somthing like this;
    1) Rust resistant (I live in Vermont.. Asian cars disenigrate in about 8 years)
    2) Has the amenities my wife desires
    3) efficnecy
    4) price

The VW Jetta TDI is the ONLY automible that fit all of these.
    1)The 12-year/unlimited-milage corrosion warantee is unmatched among Jetta-contenders.
    2) Wife needed ESP (replacing 4X4 Civic)
    3) 56 MPG !!!
    4) easilly paid for any upfront xtra cost due to #3 above

As you can see from my comments in previous append... my daughter has different desires in an automobile than I do.
  • s_a_millers_a_miller Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Golf, when the A/C is running on recycled air hardly any air comes out. When you turn the recycle off, it pumps out lots of cold air. Anyone know whats wrong?