Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
What, are you seeing things? Nope, just the
carlady correcting a title misspelling. Read the
interim topic here. Sorry for the extra step!

carlady/host

Comments

• chelchel Member Posts: 4
    It's good to read what others are going through with their VWs...

Ours has already been hit (ahh, city living) but otherwise is OK - we have the Automatic GLS - and I've been noticing weirdness with the transmission - if you move it into reverse - with the brake on - it sometimes takes a few seconds for it to switch to reverse - same when moving between gears while parking, etc.

I guess we need to take it back to the dealer (oh the pain!)

Otherwise, I love this car. I'm really happy with it! Easy to park, easy to drive, comfortable - even for my 6'3" boyfriend! Plus - I was recently able to fit a file cabinet and kitchen table and 4 chairs in the hatchback (disassembled, but still!)...

Happy car!

-michelle
  • weatherdanweatherdan Member Posts: 28
    chel:

i've got a 99 gls golf automatic. the delay you experience when shifting into reverse is, unfortunately, normal. it can be annoying, even dangerous but there is nothing the dealer can do about it. it is one of the vw quirks. i'm slowly getting used to it.

i could not agree more about the cargo space. fantastic!

weatherdan
  • tradlandtradland Member Posts: 15
    I got my car last year its a Silver and Black Int GLS with Auto and Luxury Package. Here is the
    first 24,000 miles. 9 burnt rear left brake bulbs.
    Headlights missaligned took 4 trips to dealer to
    get right. The Windshild washer resevour keeps goin out dealer will make 5th atempt to fix.
    The power mirror control knob broke off replaced by dealer and The undercar engine cover came off
    twice. I love the car but the service is average
    I am wonderin what will go next and a little
    worried since the warranty will expire in 700
    miles. Great car and fun to drive but begining to
    feel like the owner of a Cavalier .
    Just my two cents on this car.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Check out extended warranties from the aftermarket to cover the parts of the car after the basic warranty expires. That's a thought. Try Source 1, because they are pretty cheap. The URL is http://www.edmundslive.com/warranty.
    DO THEY COVER THE WHOLE CAR OR JUST SOME THINGS
    I DO HAVE A POWER TRAIN WARRANTY FOR 10YEARS/100,000 MILES
    I AM JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE MINOR STUFF BREAKIN.
    PS ALSO FORGOT TO POST IN ABOVE POST THAT
    THE GAS TANK SENDER WAS REPLACED TOO IT WAS MISREADING.
    Go check out the site. They cover everything on the car from the powertrain to basic stuff. Kind of a waste, because of the 10/100 warranty. But it might be worth it for you. Check out http://www.edmundslive.com/warranty for more info or also http://www.autoconnection.com.
  • sabethsabeth Member Posts: 3
    I know this topic has been flogged nearly to death, but thought I'd take my swipe.

I've had Hondas for years ('76 Civic, '84 Civic, '83 Prelude, '93 Integra -- all from new) so my recent step to VW is a leap of faith. I've had my share of problems, but certainly the Integra was virtually flawless. 90,000 miles and only changed the oil replaced the exhaust (thank you road salt)when I sold it in 1998. Engines are superb, suspension is tight (double-wishbones beat struts - end of story), etc.

Problem was I needed a 4-door (baby on the way). Integra 4-door is not available here in Canada, Accords are, well, a little dull. Also, my experience with Honda seats has not been good - too soft. My wife convinced me to look at a VW Golf so I checked it out. It's comfortable, drives well, looks good and has a hatchback. I ordered the 1.8T but after doing additional calculations switched to the TDI.

While I wait for the Golf, the dealer is loaning me a 99 TDI Bug. I'm in love with this engine! Same torque as the 1.8, better fuel economy, cheaper fuel and it should be more reliable, as it has far fewer moving parts. The diesel rattle should help put the baby to sleep, too.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    sabeth, we have a separate topic for Golf v. Civic discussion. Thanks!

carlady/host
  • ghoststeerghoststeer Member Posts: 1
    own a 2001 GL,5 sp man.?
    I need to know what I should REALLY expect to spend on one. Every web site and consumer guide I research is beginning to annoy me because the price they say I should pay is NEVER even close to what the dealers are quoting me. So many dealers...so many web sites... I need some REAL quotes now to put my mind at ease and to know that I am not getting ripped off-Thanks to anyone who can help me-
  • oberkfell1oberkfell1 Member Posts: 6
    You can purchase a Golf at West Suburban Imports in Chicago, Illinois for between $300.00 and $400.00 over invoice. I bought at Passat from them and will be purchasing a Golf 1.8t soon.
  • ileongileong Member Posts: 5
    Hello;

I've been quoted a price on a yr 2000 golf
    gls 4-dr, 4-spd auto, standard engine (2.0 liter),
    sunroof, monsoon sound system.

Price including destination charge: $18222

Does not include sales tax

what have other people paid

Just wondering if this is a good deal, this is
    supposed to be $500 over invoice for the car
    itself but full msrp for the options (sunroof,
    monsoon sound system, auto)

thanks
  • table5table5 Member Posts: 1
    well, we just paid 21700 CDN for a '00 GL with air conditioning and cd. that price is TOTAL, so taxes etc included.
    ielong,

I think they are putting the screws to you. The 2001's are already out, thus depreciation is already setting in on the 2000's. The dealer should be selling it for a maximum of 500 over invoice on the entire package. The dealer is still making money off this deal.
  • jimjetjimjet Member Posts: 27
    Folks, I've got a question. Where are the VW Golfs that we buy in the US assembled? (I think all of the New Beetles are assemble in Mexico.) I was down at my local VW dealer yesterday and thought I saw a Wolfsburg - Germany sticker on a Golf. I would only buy a VW - any VW - if it were made - assembled - in Germany. The real thing. Thanks.
    The VIN has a code for where a particular vehicle has been manufactured and any dealer can break that out for you. I've also seen it posted in one of the VW discussions.

Having said that, VWs made outside of Germany are held to the same standards of materials and manufacturing so I would't worry about getting a Mexican- or Brazilian-made VW Golf.

carlady/host
  • alfaromeoalfaromeo Member Posts: 210
    I agree 100% with carlady.
    We have two cars: a Mexico built Jetta (2000 GLS) and a 2001 Gti. The latter is made in Germany. (no difference as far as I can see...).

VW - like any other manufacturer - cannot afford to have different standards of production at different plants around the world.
    When they took over Skoda a few years back, they made sure that the cars (assembled in Poland) were completely up to specs. Polish cars were not exactly renowned for quality.

Also, you have to remember that most of the European production plants make cars for Europe. Only a fraction are assembled for the US market (at least as far as the Golfs are concerned).
    There ARE differences in equipment (a/c, cupholders, different seats and so on...) and in my opinion, one should nearly expect a more consistent production from the US-specific production units (more streamlined production).

A few people seem to refer to errors made in the past by many manufacturers. Yes - I have heard horror stories about the 'old' VWs assembled in the US some years back. Many manufacturers (yes, even the Japanese) had questionable reliability issues on their hands. Of course, no one can exclude that this still happens today (did anyone say Mitsubishi?) - OF COURSE NOT!
    But I would say that generally, one can expect a lot more uniformity of quality control nowadays. The auto industry is a cut-throat business and some predict that there will only be a handful of manufacturers some years ahead. Those who let their guard down will die. Simple as that.

I am confident that VW is intent on being in that number and will keep up the efforts of improving their reliability record.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    1 & 4-usa
    2-canada
    3-mexico
    k-korea
    j-japan
    y-sweden
    w-germany
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    skoda is a czech car not a polish car. their latest offerings are pretty attractive. http://www.skoda.cz

i wish we (u.s.a) had more options in terms of inexpensive european cars, ie. skoda, fiat,renault,peugeot,etc.
    You're absolutely right. I had it mixed up with Polski I guess... (shame on me!!!)
  • tsquaredtsquared Member Posts: 1
    You asked when the 2001 GLS is coming. I also live in Toronto. I have been talking to several dealers here, one of which told me that they had them in their lot (more lies). The other dealers I talked to all said that the 2-door GL is out, but GLS isn't due for a month or two. (by October) Good luck!
  • jimjetjimjet Member Posts: 27
    Alfaromeo, Wonderwall, and Carlady, thanks for your quick responses and information. Glad to hear that the Mexican plant is doing a fine assembly job. I remember when Honda was opening the assembly plant in Ohio and people had concerns. Also, I've toured the Mercedes Benz plant in Alabama where all the world's M-classes are assembled. It looks first rate.

As for Skoda. I know them pretty well. My father-in-law owns a '98 Favorit that I drove extensively last summer. It's an excellent small car. A perfect car for the roads of CZ and most of Europe in general. VW owns at least half of Skoda and has greatly improved the whole Skoda line-up.
  • kurtb1kurtb1 Member Posts: 6
    I have two questions. I own a new 1.8t GLS and I'm noticing yellow goop leaking out of my doors and collecting on the bottom of the frame. What is that stuff? It's easy enough to clean but what is leaking out of my doors?

Also, I heard 3500 workers walked out on strike at the Mexico VW plant, were Jettas and New Beetles are assembled. A friend of mine was thinking about a Jetta but she might not have much of a selection now. Has anyone heard an update on that strike?

Drive safe.
  • jschwartz0jschwartz0 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know when the 2001 Golf will be available with the sport suspension. I've been told by the dealer not to expect the sport suspension until after the 1st of next year...is this correct?

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the feedback...
    My boss just bought a new 2001 Jetta GLS VR6 and it has the sport suspension. So it should be available now.
  • vbpvbp Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2001 Golf GLS (1.8T) and there is
    an irritating wind noise coming from the front
    passager side at high speeds. Sounds like the
    passager window is slightly open.

It usually happens around 80 mph but it sometimes
    happens as low as 60 mph when driving against the
    wind.

The dealership said they are unable to reproduce
    it and refuse to drive over the speed limit even
    for a couple of minutes.

Anybody had anything similar happen on a recent
    Golf or Jetta? Any advice?

Thanks,

vbp
  • sk8vetsk8vet Member Posts: 1
    i just ordered a 2001 Golf GLS 1.8T two weeks ago and the dealer said it would take up to 90 days to get here...how did you get one so soon?? did you buy it off the lot??

has anyone else ordered a 2001 yet?? how long did it take?? its been 3 weeks already and im anxious to drive!!
    Dealer nonsense again...
    Tell your dealer that YOU will drive the car!
    80mph - although above the limit - is clearly way too slow to have to bear with wind noise.
    Get it fixed, or go to another dealer.
  • luvtogolf28luvtogolf28 Member Posts: 2
    I think I am being screwed by a VW dealership... I signed for a 2001 Golf GLS and was wondering if anyone knows when they will be in Canada... they have already lied to me once about them being made in Mexico (among other lies). They claim that they are trying to get it on a train from Mexico to up here... I now know that they are made in Germany... So, if anyone with a heart out there knows when we can expect them in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, I would really appreciate it!
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    2001 GTI over a month ago. It's been really good and it's soooo much fun!! Only complaints are that there is a lot of dust behind the glass covering the tach and the speedo. Also, the speakers seem to rattle when music with heavier bass is played. I'm going to drive down to the dealer to see if they can fix the dust problem (I think there is a crack) and the speakers tomorrow.
    Thanks alfaromeo, this is exactly what I told them and I am going back there in a couple of weeks.

sk8vet, for your information I got my 2001 Golf on July 10. When I first saw it on July 8 it had just arrived from the boat with the white plastic cover still on and the antenna still in the trunk. I live in Northern California and at that time I looked at several dealers and this was the only 2001 I saw (I know this dealership got a bunch more later). Of course some of the other dealers who were selling 2000 models told me that the 2001 would not arrive until December.

BTW, another question for owners of recent Golfs: do you have to close the trunk hatch pretty violently for it to be really closed and locked or not?

Thanks,
    VBP
    I FOUND THAT U DO HAVE TO SLAM IT PRETTY HARD IF
    U JUST LET IN GO IT WONT LOCK ALL THE WAY
    AND THE ALARM WILL NOT ARM
    THE DEALER TRIED TWICE MORE TO FIX THE WINDSHIELD
    WIPER RESERVOIR PROBLEM NO GO YET ALSO THE FRONT
    HEADLIGHT BURNT OUT. ANY ONE ELSE EXPERIENCING LIGHTS BURNING OUT
    GOIN TO GET THE CAR NOW HOPE ITS FIXED THIS TIME
    After 1.5 months the left front turn signal stopped working. Then the day after it worked again. Then it stopped for good. So I assume it's not the bulb but some problem in the wiring. I will ask the mechanic to fix that when I bring the car for the wind noise (see post 25).
  • trail959trail959 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a new 2001 1.8T GLS back in July and the dealer told me that the car would take around 90 days to be built. I just got a call Wednesday from the dealer saying that VW hasn't even started building the car yet. What's up with that? So I wanted to look for a GTI 1.8T and there only seems to be 2 available in NY. Both are the same color that I really didn't want but it looks like if I want a new VW by October, I'll have to get one of those. How many cars does VW build? I can't believe it's so hard to find one.
  • tshafrantshafran Member Posts: 4
    I am considering purchasing a 2001 Golf TDI with automatic and want a CD player in it. However, I find that $499 for the dealer installed in-dash player or $599 6 disc changer a bit ridiculous. Does anyone know of a cheaper aftermarket in-dash player that's compatible with the Golf? I've heard stories that there have been problems in putting aftermarket audio in VW's because of their wiring links with the alarm system and such. I would appreciate any info on this so I don't have to pay those high prices for what might be medium quality equipment. Thanks
  • seeking4seeking4 Member Posts: 1
    I want a 4 door hatchback. I was contacted by a dealer who told me there was only one available in my region (Midwest). He would be getting a new shipment of 2000 golf hatchbacks but they would be higher priced. This seems odd since some of you already have the 2001 model. I don't mind a new 2000, but I think it should be discounted in price. Comments, suggestions?
    I was in the same boat as you are in. Don't you remember me, the good looking guy with the vw key fob. Just kidding. I was also trying to decide whether I should buy a 2000 or wait for the 2001's, and as you have heard the 2001's are already being delivered. I called West Suburban Imports of Maywood, Il in June and asked them if they had any blue or silver 1.8t (5sp) Golfs available, and they told me they were very scarce and it would be a good idea for me to order a new at 400.00 over invoice. I thought about it and decided against ordering since I would of had to wait several months and I didn't feel like putting a deposit down. Then last week out of the blue, they called me and said they located a new 2000 (blue) and it would be here next week. They said they would sell it for 100 below invoice, and I jumped at it. I am assuming they were at the end of the production run in either Germany or Mexico and they wanted to get rid of it. The new vehicles, I believe are coming from Brazil, but from what I have seen the VIN #'s are not matching products produced in Brazil. Its confusing, just where are these vehicles being produced? By the way they also had a white 2000, but it was an automatic, and I believe they had one more but it had the 2.0 motor. I saved 500 bucks, but it also has the older interior in it and the old cupholder design, and no factory installed sport suspension.
  • slvrdubslvrdub Member Posts: 1
    To the aftermarket stereo questions I purchased a CLARION head unit(380$ dollars) for my car and that fit perfectly and makes the stock speakers sound wondurful!! I added two 10" subwoofers and I have a really nice system.......Got lots of complements at a recent VW show about the sound quality ..so I say Clarion head unit that is what I heard VW stock units are anyways...........

I will give my 2 cents about the lights going out problem, I had a 99 NEW GOLF 2.0 before I purchased my 01 GTI GLS 1.8T. And with my golf I kept burning out lights and they couldnt figure out why so one day I made them keep looking at my car because I was tired of being in there every week, so they mechanic ran the diagnostic machine 4 times on my car and found a very very small problem with the Amperage or voltage going from my battery to my car that finally caused my ABS light to go on. Once he found this he reset something in the ECU ( I think) and I never had a problem again. So my suggestion would be to take it to he VW shop and have them run tests till they find the problem ......

Hope my rambling helps someone...
    Any questions you can contact me @ vwmk4golf@aol.com
    01 REFLEX SILVER GTI GLS 1.8t
  • savedvdubssavedvdubs Member Posts: 3
    i have a '99 gti gls, in which i had a kenwood 6-disc changer installed in July of '99. I went to best buy for the installation, and everything went fine...i havent had any problems for more than a year now, and the technician seemed to know just how to install everything. i'd say go for it if youre thinking about it. and any cd changer will work...they will just use an antenna adapter that is compatable with your car.
  • amillardamillard Member Posts: 1
    I have just replaced my ht leads and distributor cap on my 89 golf gti 16v but it now wont start!

I know the firing sequence is 1342 but how do i know if the connection to the distributor is correct?

can anyone help me please!!!!
  • beaupsbeaups Member Posts: 6
    Midwest availability. I just bought a 2000 golf tdi auto here in Las Vegas. They have 2 jetta tdi's one auto and a 2001 golf tdi auto. They have a few 2000 golfs est. 5-10 and 10-20 2001 golfs in many variations. the dealer is Desert vw/ audi. any ?s write back to me here and I'll try and get some more info. for you. As far as the cd player goes. I got the dealer installed cd changer but my golf is leased so it's an extra 4-$5 a month. I believe the changer is made by panasonic and you can get on at circuit city for $199 but the adapter is $80 and you should be able to install it your self in about 20min.
  • lnav2121lnav2121 Member Posts: 12
    I had purchased a new 2000 GTI , after trading in my 1996 GTI, after TRading in my 1989 Cabriolet. I , as you can see love VW. I was always happy with the service i had gotten from the dealers and the cars itself. But the new GTI gave me a wake up call that will lead me to NEVER buy a VW again.My dealer is horrible, I had ordered new mats and they said it would take 3 to four days for them to come in and they never called me back to pick them up. My car idles strange, i brought it it, they tell me its fine. The cd player didn't work, had to get a new one. Try driving your GTI with the sunroof open and the windows closed, at 45 MPH, my car bangs and thumps from the noise. I called the dealer and they told me to open the windows a little to cut down on the noise. Good fix huh? When i had brought my car in for service, they gave me a loaner car, how nice right? ... The gas tank was empty. My next choice for a new vehicle.. anything but VW.
    In addition to the information you receive here, amillard, if you haven't already done so, please visit our Maintenance & Repair conference for additional information. I suggest using the Search feature on the left menu bar to find a similar topic already underway.

lnav2121, have you contacted VW directly and discussed the dealership with them? You might ask for the District Manager's name & number the next time you're in the service area. Keep complaining in a civil fashion and you may get an excellent result.

As you say, you've owned VWs and been happy with their dealers for some time. Why let one dealership spoil that for you?

carlady/host
    I would love to vent to VW direct. But what worries me is that they will contact the dealer with my information and complaints. All I need is attitude from the dealer to go on top of all the great service that I get.
    Go the the darn dealer and vent yourself. What are they going to do, slap you?? Throw a visible fit in there and [non-permissible content removed] your head off. Go all the way to the service manager. Then, try a different dealership if that doesn't help, or your lawyer.
  • dougmckaydougmckay Member Posts: 22
    >> Try driving your GTI with the sunroof open
    and the windows closed, at 45 MPH, my car bangs
    and thumps from the noise. I called the dealer and
    they told me to open the windows a little to cut
    down on the noise. Good fix huh? <<

All VW's have this "thumping" sound. It's caused by variations in air pressure when you have the windows closed and the sunroof open. My guess is that you have the sunroof all the way open. Try closing it slightly to where the large dot on the sunroof dial is. This is the "comfort" setting, and having the sunroof set at this position alleviates the thumping sound. Or you could do what the mechanic suggests and crack open one of your side windows as this will also balance out the air pressure.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm going into my Dealer on thurday, I have an appointment with my salesman, and the service manager to talk about all my issues. So we'll see what happens, I'll post an update. Thanks again.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The thumping with the sunroof all the way open is described in the manual. As the manual suggest, open the sunroof to the "comfort" position, which is the notch just short of all the way open. Btw, this happens with many cars that have sunroofs.

What do you mean by "idles strange?" Which engine do you have? 2.0? 1.8T? VR6? The VR6 has a lumpy idle.

Jared
    '00 GTI GLX
    jared, I have a VR6. Same as you. Thanks for the suggestions about the sun roof. I love my car everyone, trust me i do. I'm just frustrated, I just feel I get walk on at the dealer sometimes, maybe its because I'm a female, or this dealer and service department are just not customer friendly ...I don't know. But you can bet that when i was buying the car the fed me so much stuff that i was up to my knees in bs. LOL Thanks again.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    My VW dealer is great to me. They ordered me a new passenger airbag cover because this one has a spot on it!! So far I have had no major problems with my 2001 GTI GLX. Also, my front right alloy has a chip on it, right on the actual rim part of the wheel. It is now starting to rust. The dealer is probably going to replace the wheel for me. I have taken this car autocrossing twice (K&N intake filter, modified airbox, EBC Kevlar brake pads in front and back, autothority ECU), and it really does well. Next up is an exhaust, lowering springs, and for sure some 17x8" wheels.