Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Golf

Comments

• Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    My TDI has the same insurance rates as the 88 Camry I replaced...
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I got 33 mpg on my last roundtrip from San Francisco to Oakland - 2001 Golf, normally aspirated, 5 speed. My commute mileage is 30 mpg.

The car has been delivering better mileage than its rating - most of my other cars were a little under (except a couple of Neons, which were also good, but not this good).
  • Options
    balkanbalkan Member Posts: 4
    hi, about to buy from a private party a 42,000 miles 1999 golf gl for $8,500 - has a small dent on on side but everything else seems in order. do you guys think this is a good deal? do you know of any major problems with this particular model? thanks!
  • Options
    burned2burned2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 golf hatchack turbo. it has had numerous problems - clutch out at 10,000 miles - that the dealer refuses to fix. now it is running hot and the dealer refuses to diagnose because i have an aftermarket exhaust system. because they denied a problem, it blew a head gasket and they refuse to fix. has anyone else had a similar problem and any suggestions on getting warranty work done?
  • Options
    jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Can someone tell me when the current generation Golf was introduced? And any scuttlebutt on when VW may introduce the next generation. Thanks.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Current model Golf was introduced in North America in 1999 as a 1999 1/2 model. The new Golf MkV is expected to show up in 2004 as a 2005 model. If you are waiting to buy the next platform I would not wait. The problems of a first year model are a tradition at VW and the 1999 1/2 and even the 2000 models are not nearly as good as the 2002 and 2003. The Passat with a new TDI motor and 4Motion and new transmissions may well be worth waiting for. It is expected in 2004 as well and is a new design.
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Is set to be here as a 2005 model.

- Anthony
  • Options
    haemonhaemon Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know of where I can purchase a wood grain shift knob for an automatic transmission, '01GLS Golf. I have been able to locate the shift knob for a manual, but not for an automatic.
  • Options
    kelvinleungkelvinleung Member Posts: 10
    My wife's 98 4dr GL caught a small fire last Friday. White smoke came out from the dash in the driver side when she drove in a gas station. No fire was seen. Dealer open up the car and said there was a metal bracket loosen and shorting the wire so they have to replace all the harness and wiring. Geico is our insurance company and they said they'll cover it. But, I'm trying to get the dealer to see what is the root cause of it. Because I don't have the same problem after they replace all the wiring. Anyone have seen this before?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The only fires I have heard from with VWs is the ABS motor in the 2001-02 models catching fire. I would think replacing the wiring harness would do the trick though.
  • Options
    odimitrovodimitrov Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 2000 insight (manual transmission) for a 1.5 years and have already
    23,000 mills average 65 gml shows in the computer display, 80% hway,
    and $5700 tax brake for a price $21000 including tax and 6 years warranty I paid cash.
    It can go easy to 100 ml/h and I can pass 800 mills with one tank.
    It all depend how you are driving and how you are shifting and using the battery.
    This is the best thing ever happen to me.
  • Options
    And we want to know this in a VW Golf forum because....???
  • Options
    alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    like a jake brake?
  • Options
    LOL! :)
  • Options
    I don't think it's fair that only the hybrids get a tax break. I think the TDI VWs should get a small one as well. They are a little less clean running, but they still save on natural resources with their superb fuel economy.
  • Options
    barleyteabarleytea Member Posts: 1
    I'm sure this has been asked a lot of times... what are the things that I should look out for when shopping for an older Golf? Also am I likely to spend quite often to maintain it? I feel Golf/Jetta is exactly the kind of car I'd want but my budget won't allow me nicer, newer models. Please help or refer me to other sources. Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    hubertyhuberty Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a Golf GL 2.0 4D (Auto or 5 Speed not yet decided) in the next few days, anyone has any suggestion for where I can find a good deal in this area? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have a 2002 Golf - It's a great car.

Barleytea - Buying an older Golf is no different than any other car - find a good VW mechanic to take it to. You want to make sure whatever you're considering has been well maintained. The only way to do that is to take it to a good VW mechanic and have it checked out. They may charge you $100 or so to do it, but it's well worth it.

Huberty - I'd go to your nearest VW dealer and see how you're treated. If they want your business they will deal with you. Spec out a GL Golf here at Edmunds and take the invoice and MSRP prices with you. Negotiate using the printout - that's what I did and it worked great. No dealer is going to hand you a good deal - you have to negotiate. Also check out the VW website (www.vw.com)and it's payment calculator - VW is offering lease rate specials and 0.9% financing right now. I'm helping a friend buy a Golf - she should pick it up tomorrow.
  • Options
    I got mine at Trend Motors in Rockaway...I highly recommend stopping by, as they are the highest volume dealership in Jersey in will make sure they are.

http://www.trendmotors.com

• Options
    Some states will give you tax breaks if you use biodiesel.

Reason why I got the TDI over the Insight?
    1. The insight is a two seater, not very practical

2. Godaweful gearing...though great for fuel economy...

3. Mainly not practical enough as a commuter car, especially carpooling.

Prius/ Insight

1. Golf is much more fun to drive than the Prius and Insight

2. Features for the money.

Haven't regretted my decision yet, except for the $47 fuel filter at the dealership.
  • Options
    Back in October of 2001 (I think), Consumer Reports tested the Echo, Golf TDI, Prius, and Insight. The chose the Golf first too. :)

The only things they didn't like was the slow-to-warm cabin (hello, heated seats!), and the dirty emissions (it is a diesel!).

I drove an Echo as well, but it doesn't come close to the feeling of the Golf on the road.
  • Options
    I have the annual car issue at home. That report they estimated to have the best range of the bunch...and I consistently get over 600 miles per tank.

I actually considered an Echo also....you can see my choice.
  • Options
    joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    I'm surprised they didn't comment on the smell of diesel fuel! If it's not Japanese they won't write much positive about it.
  • Options
    Take Consumer Reports for what valuable advice they get. They don't really cater to the performance side of things (like all the other magazines who love BMW), the Golf TDI did come out on top.

The Passat is also top-ranked, by a slim margin to the Camry.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Anyone know if the 2003 Golf in the US will have a 1.8T motor available? They had it in 2001 but took it away for the 2002 model.
  • Options
    harvittharvitt Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    We have a 2001 4 door Golf automatic (the basic model, not the turbo or bigger engine). At around 10,000 miles we took it in because it had gotten louder (not extremely, but noticable). We were told that there was a defect in the transmission and they replaced it for free (under warranty).
    Now, at about 18,000 mile, we again noticed some subtle problems (occasionally shifting at wrong time), and brought it in to a different dealer. They have just told us that there is a problem with the transmission and that they will replace it!
    This is the *second* time that our transmission is being replaced! At no cost to us, but still... The car is less than 2 yrs old, with only 18k on it. Has anyone else had to have their tranny replaced?
    Do we have a lemon?
    We otherwise love the car..
    Thanks for your comments,
    Dan
  • Options
    as long as they fix it. A lemon is one where they try several times to fix a problem (usually three - depends on state law) but are unable.

Sounds to me like VWOA has a grip on customer service at last. Enjoy the Golf.
  • Options
    koutsavdkoutsavd Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I've just got a call for my dealer, where I left my car for the 40K service this morning and he told me that he needs to replace the rear rotors and pads. The total, including the 40K service is going to run me $970. I was wondering if any of you people who own a 2001 Golf GLS past 40K mi have had the same experience. It does not make sense to me, that a car which is not even two years old, with 40K mi, 98% of them highway (with very little break usage) would require me to throw in close to one grand for repairs and maintenance. I may as well sell it and get a Honda, maybe it will last longer. Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    How much is brakes, and how much is the 40k service? Also, what motor?

You don't have to pay VW's exhorbitant prices for the 40k service, it's just checking things and minor maintenance, like check/replace spark plugs and replace brake fluid (at least it is on my Passat.) 'Course, I don't know about a TDI, if you have that motor. A good indie can do that kind of work for half what VW will charge. An indie will do the brakes a good bit cheaper than VW too. Bet you can get it all done <$400, probably a lot less.

Yes, I know it's not a "VW certified technician" and all that sales stuff. No, in my case it's a professional who's been in the business 25 years. At the VW dealer the "technician" working on your car will be lucky to have completed his certification. We're talking brakes and spark plugs here - nothing too complex.

FWIW, the rear brakes on my Passat are wearing faster than the front. % remaining on my pads now, at 45k miles, are 60/40 (fr/rr.)

Good luck - let us know what you find out.
  • Options
    Alfox, thanks for the info. The service goes for $330, $70 for the sparks, $100 for some belt (don't even remember which one, not the timing belt though) and the rest (around $470) for the breaks. I would understand about the pads, but the rotors? The dealer told me that he cannot resurface them just because they are not vented (like the front) which does not fly with me. Anyway, I will skip the brake part and propably take the car to some shop to fix it. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of the car. Nice and cute but...
  • Options
    Sorry, the motor is the plain vanila 2.0lt.
  • Options
    for four spark plugs? What do they have to do, R&R engine to get at them? $100 for a serpentine belt? Cheesh!

It's a good car, but VW service drives people out of their own market.

Good luck, dude.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Brake rotors for the rear are $25 each. A set of pads is about $40. The rear rotors can be turned once if not damaged. The front rotors should be replaced when the pads are replaced in my opinion. They can be turned but they often end up warped on the second set of pads. Better to just replace them. Front rotors are $37 each and you can upgrade to ATE for $47 each.
    $470 for a brake job that only uses $100 in parts! Ripoff!
  • Options
    Your dealer is ripping you off - take the independent garage advice. You don't need to take it to a dealer for service and this is certainly no reason to get rid of the car - that will cost you a lot more in the long run.

I have an 02 Golf that's been fantastic - I only take it to the dealer for warranty repairs of which it hasn't had any. It hasn't seen the dealer since I drove it off the lot :-)
  • Options
    itsaplotitsaplot Member Posts: 11
    On 09/21/02 we bought our son a 1997 Golf GL from a VW dealership that looked to be great shape. We had it checked out and everything looked fine. Four hours later the car won't start and we have it towed to the dealership. It's a starter they say. After a screw up with replacing the starter, they put new tires on the car and call it "VW Certified" and we get the car back on 09/25/02. On 09/27/02 the same thing happens and it goes back to the dealership. Returned to us on 09/28 with another new starter and dies again that evening. It just won't start. It has never seemed like the starter to me. The tow truck drivers and I have always suspected the factory installed alarm system could be overriding the ignition. Is that a possibility? Or have we entered the arena of endless electrical problems? Help!?!?
  • Options
    You might very well have entered the arena of endless electrical problems.
  • Options
    That's actually pretty good life on it. A lot of people get 20K on the pads. The pads are notoriously soft, so they are quieter, but wear faster
  • Options
    toto007toto007 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Enthu and All Golf owners,

I seem to experience the same problems as what enthu has been having.
    I bought a Golf GLS 2000 and here is the problems history I have been having :
    1. 1st year : O2 sensor broke so the engine light is ON .
    2. 2nd year :mass airflow meter broke so the engine light is ON again.
    3. Now in the 3rd year :the temperature gauge is oscillating between 0 and 190 degree all time (on freeway or city street )

Note the 2 first failures , the was no charge by the VW dealer because it fell w/in the 2 year warranty limit but I am afraid that they are going to try to rip me off for fixing (properly?) the temp gauge .

If anyone can give any suggestions to deal w/ the temperature gauge issue , please do.

Thanks.
    Toto
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Mine had to be replaced around 20, and so did our Beetle's.

Not bad at all...
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I went to a highly recommended independent repair facility and they used Alldata to give a pretty accurate estimate of the cost of the 40K service. It came out to within few dollars of the dealer's cost. Maybe dealers are more competitive on routine services. I can't understand a $470 rear brake job, though. I had all four struts/shocks replaced for less than that at a speed shop (upgrade to Tokico, don't recommend, too firm).
  • Options
    itsaplotitsaplot Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Alfox. We just heard from the dealership that they suspect a faulty ignition switch that gets stuck in the on position and has repeatedly burned out the starters (x3) that they have installed in the past week. I told them to keep it an extra day or so to start it a few times to make sure. While we felt we got a screamin deal on this car, that's only true if the darn thing can start more than 4 times without needing a new starter. Thanks again
  • Options
    That's actually good news. Sounds like a plausable cause for the problem, and a likely fix. Good luck - it can be a great car, and a blast to drive. Bear in mind that the '98+ are even better, and reliability has gone up as well. Good luck.
  • Options
    japetjapet Member Posts: 5
    Just had the 40K mile check-up (2000 TDI), rear brakes were at 60%, front 70%, I also had a faulty temp sensor for the past several months (gauge bounced up and down), finally tripped the engine light last week. the sensor was $5.00 and the install was $30, total cost of the check-up was $130. I also replaced the goodyear tires as they were down to 3/32 with Nokian NRWs. For the record the temp gauge was the first "problem" with my Golf.
  • Options
    The bulk of your driving must be highway - That TDI engine totally impresses me, it must be a perfect long distance cruiser.

I've owned a bunch of VW's and have always found them to be very reliable.
  • Options
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T that I drive pretty hard. It feels like, just recently, that the brakes are starting to wear. I am going to get some Mintex Red pads to replace the rears, and going to have the back brakes checked as to not damage the rotors if the pads are worn.
  • Options
    toto007toto007 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Japet ,

Were you able to find out that the temperature gauge failure was connected to engine light tripping in anyway .

I recall that there is a message in this forum saying that temperature gauge is not used for engine management .

Did you have your temp gauge replaced or did you do it yourself and could you tell me how ?

Thanks,
    toto
  • Options
    trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    Question for you.......

How can these things have happened when these dates haven't even come up yet????

A sentence from your post says:

"After a screw up with replacing the starter, they put new tires on the car and call it "VW Certified" and we get the car back on 09/25/02. On 09/27/02 the same thing happens and it goes back to the dealership. Returned to us on 09/28 with another new starter and dies again that evening."

Today is 9/25/2002

I'm just busting on you :) I really thought I was losing my mind when I read the post. I had to go look at the calendar and check my computers for the correct date.

Seriously though, about your Golf. Does the dealer try to start the car several times before giving it back to you? After you got it back, how many times will the car start before it won't start at all? Does it turn over, or is it just dead? If it were the starter, and I don't think it sounds like it is, you should at least hear the car trying to start. If there is a short, then it may cut off the ignition, hence the alarm possibility. Are you sure there wasn't an after market alarm installed? It makes a big difference once the after market guys start hacking away at the starter wires. I had a starter problem on a different vehicle, but I knew when it was starting to go from the noise it would make. Starters usually don't just break like they are claiming.

You've had the car less then a week and the dealer won't look past the starter to fix the car. Maybe you should take it back and get a refund. What's the warranty on it?

It was nice of you to get the car for your son, but has he driven it yet?

Good luck
  • Options
    trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    Is the Golf fun to drive? Reliable?

My boyfriend is going to be getting something else to drive besides his '98 Wrangler. He really wants a Grand Cherokee, but he has thought about the Golf.

I keep telling him that the Jeep GC isn't a great solution to saving on gas, but I don't really know how bad the gas mileage is on them either.

Each day he drives about 40 miles one way to work. He drives about 80-90 mph on the Highways, but he gets really poor gas mileage with the Jeep Wrangler. I think he fills up his tank about every 1 and a half to two trips. About 200 miles per tank. I believe it's a 15 gallon tank. So that's only 13-14 mpg.

He doesn't want to give up 4WD, so he will only get the Golf if he keeps his Jeep. I really think he will love the Golf and forget about having a 4WD vehicle.

The Golf is a lot cheaper then a Jeep GC. I also feel that the residual value is a lot better on the Golf. Also, he will probably be putting at least 20-25,000 miles on it each year.

Anyone have 50k or more on a Golf in 2 yrs.? Any major problems? How's the gas mileage at high speeds? Can it handle high speeds (80-100mph)?

Thanks for any input :)
  • Options
    japetjapet Member Posts: 5
    The temp gauge itself is for your eyes only. However the temp sensor sends information to the on board computer to control various engine functions like the electric radiator fans. The sensor had been functioning intermittently, it is only when it finally quit that I got an engine or "MIL" light.

I would start with the sensor as it is cheap $5.00 and $1.00 for the gasket vs $??? for the gauge. As for the how to, try some other more "technical" web sites for a good explanation.

Good luck.