Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Adam, in case you're wondering the Larry Ganz (now the GanzFlow) intake can be found at http://www.imprezars.com/products.htm
    He also sells regular drop-in K&N and Amsoil filters.
    That along with a cat-back is definately your best bang for the buck.
    Also, try some searches on the i-club at
    http://i-club.com
    I recently went to an i-club meet in Cape May, NJ and there were 25 Scooby's there. Probably close to half had Larry's intake.

Good luck,
    Dennis
  • chill105chill105 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah, I meant alloy wheel. The actual wheel, yes, the whole wheel, was different than the others. The tire was the same, but the wheel itself was different. They didn't take off my spoiler- they just hadn't installed it yet. They just sent me a letter that they got the right color this time, so I'll have to go take it in again.
  • celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    Whoa, I would have been taken aback by that, too. You might consider NOT taking it to them for oil changes. They probably don't use the greatest oil, anyway. You don't want them being klutzy around your car. I've heard some bad stuff about those dealership's service bays. They scare me! The Subie dealer near me wants $50.00 for an oil change. Sounds like liquid gold! You should get Amsoil for that!!! (just kiddin', the Amsoil's pretty steep itself)
  • woodlandtrailswoodlandtrails Member Posts: 2
    I plan on moving to Tampa Fl. Does anyone have a comment on driving 5-speed in the city for obvious short trips but highway work miles?
    My boyfriend says not to buy a 5-Speed OBS because I will have to replace the clutch every 6 months. He got rid of his 5-speed Ford Explorer for this reason.

I have to decide soon to buy 5-speed or auto OBS.

[email protected]
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    find a new boyfriend. ;)

A 5-speed Subaru will do just fine in city driving.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My Forester has almost 40k miles in 3 years of commuting the Washington, DC and the original clutch is fine, thanks. I have towed, driven on the beach, and done light off roading, too.

You may prefer an automatic for commuting, but only to save you from fatigue.

-juice

PS 6 months sounds outrageous for any clutch. Perhaps your boy friend rides the clutch or just doesn't know how to drive?
    Tampa... They have a great Subaru dealer there called Mastro Subaru. Located at 6402 W. Hillsborough Ave., ph. (813) 884-7513. Lucky you! I bought my car there and wish we were closer. By the way, there are alot of i-clubbers in the Tampa area. Go to i-club.com and click forums. Go to the regional forums and click on Southeast. By the way, i-club means impreza club. As long as you're not always into jackrabbit starts your clutch should do OK but have heard alot of complaints about clutches. I traded a 2000 OBS manual for 2002 OBS automatic. with the 2000 I got 18 mpg in the city, A/C on all the time. With my 2002 I get 20 mpg, same driving conditions. Used to drive heavy traffic here in Orlando with a clutch for years and years, finally got a messed up nerve in the ball of my left foot. Will you be travelling I-75? Some of those main roads in Tampa can get really congested during rush hour, it's your call. What do you drive now? Are you used to a clutch?
  • action303action303 Member Posts: 17
    Brekke,
    When my OBS was on order, I was told that a shipment arrives in Boston, and the trucks take them from there. I hope this helps!
    -Action
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I just checked the SoA website and it states there are two ports that receive US-produced and imported Subarus and ship them to dealerships: Vancouver, Washington and Lafayette, Indiana.

Action, I didn't see anything about Boston. I wonder if your dealer made it up ;)
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Vancouver, WA port on the Columbia River directly across from Portland, OR as they are built in Japan. Legacies and OBs are built in Lafayette, IN. Imprezas and Foresters also come into Canada in Vancouver, BC. Hope this helps.

Stephen
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Wait a minute, I thought that new Imprezas and WRXs were also coming in via Jacksonville (FL), as it was along I-95 that I saw several of the early WRX prototypes (blue, spoiler-less) zipping along... of course, I could never catch up with them to ask them. But they all had Jacksonville dealer plates on them... hmm...

Need to boost my 2001 Forester S with some mods to keep up with the WRX and the STi next year...
    :)
    The owner of my dealership was recently in Boston to see where the Subaru's come in. Hmmm, maybe email SoA or call 1800Subaru3 if you really want to know.
    Dennis
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

It probably works out that the main port is Vancouver, but I wonder if they ship from there around the coast and thru Panama to the east coast? If that's the case, They could come in to any large port on the east coast. Think about how many more cars they can transport by ship as opposed to how many they can fit on a ship and just stop at varied ports along the way. So you are all probably correct....
  • jcrawford2jcrawford2 Member Posts: 2
    We have an undercarriage noise that sounds like linkage or small metal connection engaging itself after depressing clutch. Can't say absolutely , but feel it happens a split second before shifting out of 2nd into 3rd gear.. It doesn't happen all the time.. but.. any input???? Do like the car ...
    Could be a loose exhaust heat shield? Does it rattle any other time?

-juice
    Just keep listening. How long have you had the car? It may just be a noise you are not used to. See if it stays the same or gets worse. After you know more if it keeps on doing it, you could have the dealer check it out, and KEEP the documentation in case he says its nothing, make sure they write on the ticket what you say it's doing. This is so if it develops into anything when the warranty expires, you have proof you complained before the warranty was up.
  • jcrawford2jcrawford2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input ... here's the deal... It is not a rattle -It sounds like #496 has it too.. Best decribed as a single click, sometimes what sounds like a BB hitting a fry pan....
    We just bought the car in May 2002.We have been back to the dealership a couple of times. They can't "duplicate" We bought new purposefully so we'd have a good car for our 2 month vacation in the mts...The rep. will not be in the area until the end of July.
    Everything has been documented and we've been in touch with 1-800-Subaru3.We've been told it is safe to drive. Wonder how that has been determined? Would love to have been reassured.
    Here's something else you can try. Log on to i-club.com and click on "Forums". Click on the "General" forum and list your problem. There are so many tons of members there and so many who work on their own cars and are car nuts that someone may have an idea. It could be that it's a sound many others have also...
    I was just at i-club and read a post that sounded like yours. Go to i-club.com, click forums, then click general, then click topic, "popping noise". Perhaps you could e-mail the guy who listed the topic. I believe when you get into that topic you can click "profile" in the box where his topic is written out and get his email info. Good luck...
    Persistent help. Gotta love it. Way to go Celeste.

-juice
    Juice, you've already answered this (or at least given it your best shot)... but still the problem persists. We have a 97 OBS 4speed auto, with about 65k miles on it. Every time we take a corner, from a stop, the steering wheels starts shuddering badly, as if it's losing traction or spinning out. This is especially from a dead stop. It's less noticeable when there's a little motion out of a yield, then turning...

Anybody else have this problem? It may be particular to the automatic?...

Thanks, perrito
  • kangarukangaru Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to let you all know that this discussion board was a great help for me when deciding whether or not to get a WRX wagon or the OBS. I now am the proud owner of a 5spd 2002 OBS, black, which i absolutly adore. The only problems are the 165 hp, would like a little more, but don't think i can afford the speeding tickets and the fact that the outside temp gauge is in farhenheit, but i spose that's what i get for buying it in the states :D cheers

Kangaru
    You can do a few bolt-on mods to get up to 180hp. They were discussed just a few posts back, actually.

-juice
    I also felt is was very refined, and not quite as quick as I would have thought. It may improve as it breaks in.

-juice
    That's what I'm hoping! I guess I was just expecting more of a power difference between my old, torqueless (yet light) Honda and the Sube.
    The difference is that you can shift the Subie at reasonable rpm and still get to most of the torque.

-juice
    Apparently you haven't driven a 137 hp 2.2L OBS. ;-)
    The first thing to do is at least replace the stock air filter. You'll notice a slightly better throttle response. Replace with a panel Amsoil or K&N or better yet, a GanzFlow like Celeste did.

Dennis
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    A little late on this, but, I've noticed what might be the same "click" on my 01base OB. Very small noise like running over a plastic cap. Usually when coasting and then adding slight power (AT). It only happens once a day or so and I cannot deliberately cause it. It doesn't concern me too much and I am filing it under normal for now. (only 4400 miles on car)

Greg
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

why just go with either/or? If you get the Ganzflow also get from him either the Amsoil or K & N filter, he sells both. You should get both, really.

Why would you want to let the clutch out and hold it at a light? Because you're a little anxious and want to take off faster? Not sure, but I don't think you'd want to do that all the time. Just relax. You'll get used to the car with daily driving. It does feel pretty tight, eh? There's one thing I think would make it even more enjoyable: to lower it a little, for me it may be just a tad too high. I need to get that anti-sway bar soon. Any suggestions, anyone?

You know, with the intake it's not the lower end power I notice but the upper end. It's like the descriptions of turbo's you hear with lower end lag. Dang, once it gets thru 2nd and working it's way into 3rd it's like a scalded dog!

Brekke, when you get used to the clutch I'm just positive you'll feel that power in the lower gears. What rpm's you shifting at? With my 2000 OBS I didn't feel comfortable shifting much below 4000 because that's when the engine sounded just ready. Not the greatest for gas mileage, but heck I just didn't feel comfortable shifting too low on rpm's. After a few weeks check your gas mileage and let us know. I was getting 20 mpg and yesterday figured 21 mpg, I have a little over 3,000 miles. This is in town, with the A/C running constantly. My 2000 OBS only got 18! :( Probably because the way I shifted! lol
    Well,
    I didn't get much feedback here on the previously posted "steering shudder" but I did on Yahoo's Outback Sport homepage. The shudder was very noticeable, from a stop, and turning. The whole steering wheel would vibrate/shimmy from a stop. Now the fiance is stuck in Daytona Beach, because a loud "clicking" noise started from the front left; we think it may be the C.V. joint on the axle. This ain't funny... it's not that old!

I don't know if this has anything to do with the clicking on the 2002 OBS models: hopefully not!

best of luck,

perrito
    I have the OE hitch, and it does not come with a ball, but it did come with a receiver tube IIRC. I got a 2" ball and socket for $10 or so at Trak Auto. 1 3/4" sizes are also common, so find out what you need first.

I'd share photos, but PhotoPoint is down right now.

-juice
    I looked at the 2002 Impreza trailer hitch from subaruparts.com and their kit includes the ball mount, pin and receiver cover which was not included with my car.

I assume that's the same trailer hitch as the OEM, so I emailed SOA and asked what's the deal. No biggie.
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Your CV joints will click more when you are turning and accelerating. If you ripped your boots covering the joint(s), they can deteriorate quickly when sand, dirty get inside. When they start to really fail you should feel it in the steering (front wheels).

My very slight clicking is not the joint. Believe it or not, I believe it might be a pebble now and again being kicked up by the tires. Still listening but not concerned.

Greg
    My 2000 OBS shifter vibrated like that, and in fact, my Volvo (1984) also did that. Was your previous car a manual--didn't the handle vibrate at all?
    A little bit should be normal. It is pretty much wired directly to the powertrain.

I actually have the STi shifter, which has less insulation. The stock shift lever has a rubber gasket (see the fat part in the photo below) to quell the vibes, while the STi shifter is a solid shaft, and shorter to boot.

-juice
    Greg,

Thanks for your opine -- suggested as much (c.v. related) to the mechanic in Daytona... we'll see what he finds, because it was setting off the "check engine" light repeatedly and it felt like the motor was tugging and losing steam the whole time... I don't think a bad C.V. joint can do that! We'll see. :(

perrito
    Yes, my last car shifter vibrates a little. I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I know I'm being a tool, but this is my first new car and my first car made after 1986!

I enjoy driving it more each day, she seems to be loosening up a little, although a little voice is telling me to trade in for a WRX in a few years.
    The only thing about a WRX is it takes premium gas!! Hey, I was like you, when I got my 2000 OBS last year it was my first new car, the one I traded being the 84 Volvo wagon. There was an article in the lastest EVO magazine about a WRX a guy tested for the magazine, got it in December of 2000 and now has 19,555 at the time of this article. It seems the outer edges of the front tires were absolutely worn down! This was normal driving, no racing, etc.. Subaru UK asked him many questions about driving conditions and couldn't ascertain the reason for this. They replaced all the tires but didn't see anything wrong. Subaru has the tires for inspection. In next month's issue will be a report on whether there is still undue wear on the front and hopefully Subaru's report of what they think. Will be interesting.
    Tire life will depend on the driving. I went to the Mercedes Benz Power Trip, and got a ride with a professional driver in an AMG car. The tires were lasting 50 miles or so, and they were being changed several times each day!

The WRX is about extreme performance, so it's reasonable to expect to have to use premium fuel. Even the base RSX uses premium IIRC. Most turbos do, too.

-juice
    Bridgestone SE92's. I say miserable tire for a performance vehicle like the WRX. This will be my first big$ upgrade come Feb or Mar. Upgrade to 17"wheel and tire, probably Dunlop sp5000's.

The SE92's on the WRX is like putting flip flops on a track stars feet and telling him to go for the gold! Sometimes trying to achieve a decent pricepoint when marketing a car allows to much of a compromise, IMHO.

Stephen
  • choberichoberi Member Posts: 2
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593435803

Could any of you OBS / Impreza owners use these?

Not flip flops - hiking boots. They are all-season. :-)

Hey, those wheel covers are actually attractive. They'd fit on Forester Ls too.

-juice
    I have a full set of the clip on covers for a 2000 OBS. Only had them on the car three months. Any takers?

Juice: Those tires on the WRX in the article that wore down were only on the front. Strange, huh?
    A little strange. Even if power is distributed pretty even, the front do all the steering, so they'd still wear sooner.

-juice
    As my engine broke in, I'm not sure if it got faster, but it got more fuel efficient. My mileage improved by a solid 2mpg a few thousand miles later.

Outback Sports do stand out from the crowd.

-juice
    Subes require a while to *really* break in. My 97 2.2 is smoother at 50,000 miles than it ever was in the past. The shifting improved somewhat, but was still a bear in sub-freezing temps.

The first thing I did was a drop-in Amsoil. There is definately better throttle response than before. I suspect a GanzFlow will be even better. If you want to get really crazy, add a cat-back exhaust. :-)
    Don't forget though that you're not driving an Integra.
    (edit: Which Integra do/did you have? Unless you have a GSR or Type R, the OBS has a better power to weight ratio. The GSR is only slightly better. Maybe it's just that it's a more solid car and you don't *think* it's as fast.)

In the winter, shifting was almost impossible in sub-freezing temps (as are a lot of cars) so I switched to Amsoil standard synthetic. If you check the i-club, there are enough posts about synthetic gear oil to make your head spin. I was going to use Redline, but a LOT of people had grinding problems with it. I have not grinded once with the Amsoil in 6 months.

Dennis
    That Integra is a lot lighter and doesn't have AWD, so they should feel about the same off the line. Acura uses gearing to make up for the lack of torque, the thing is on the highway I'm sure your OBS is revving lower and far more quiet.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.