Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• sunpro2003sunpro2003 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if there will be a 2004 XC70 wagon? Or have you heard 2003 will be the last year for the XC70 wagon?

All I see is a new V70R model for 2004 that looks like it could replace the XC70.

In addition, my understanding was the XC70 was Volvo's answer when they lacked a SUV to sell.

Now that the XC90 SUV is available, will the XC70 be discontinued ?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The XC70 will continue, Volvo believes that there is a market niche for the car separate from the XC90.
    However, because the XC70 and XC90 use some of the same components, XC70 production will be decreased in order to build more XC90's.

The V70R is not a replacement for the XC70, only 500 will be built for the US in 2004.
  • tomc15tomc15 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new '03 XC70 with that OSD deal and was wondering about the AWD system. I was reading some of the postings, BTW- which has been very helpful, and noticed that people were mentioning that the AWD on the '03 XC70 was outfitted with the same system (Haldex?) used in the XC90 and 60's. Is this true? or does it have the same system as last years which was not the Haldex.

If so, where can I get more information on the system so I can have a better understanding on it.
    Has the Haldex drive system.
    Try volvocars.com for more info
  • tedmomtedmom Member Posts: 3
    Hello. I have what is probably the silliest question on this board, but didn't know where else to find the answer :) I am a proud new owner of a 2003 XC and live in the snowy climate of New Hampshire. I have a Nautic Blue model that seems to collect huge amounts of dirt, salt, etc. While the owner's manual suggests hand washing of the car during the first six months, will I really screw it up if I take it to the car wash?? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
  • windywindy Member Posts: 7
    To Tedmom:

Don't wash it. Looks cool covered in dirt. We bought our XC a few months ago. Here's the update. My wife loves it. Kids like the 3d row seat. It GUZZLES gas. It came w/ 2 defects but the dealer (Bridgewater Volvo in NJ) were very quick to fix. Something about the car seems fragile. I can't put my finger on it but I'm waiting for it to break down. So far so good. Dopey hand rail between 2 front seats. Probably would have been alot smarter to buy a Forester but my wife has wanted a Volvo wagon for years. Happy New Year.
  • eaton3000eaton3000 Member Posts: 16
    Tedmom --

I had same question. Bought XC 90 and it looked horrible 2 weeks later. I live in a Boston suburb. Don't care too much except I got worried about road salt, etc. corroding paint. Also read don't wash for 6 months, and found out some enthusiasts don't commercially wash ever. Researched some (I believe on this site) and came up with the following plan, which coincidentally I implemented today. Went to Home Depot and got light duty 40 foot hose. Wanted one of those cool coil up hoses but really expensive for my needs, so.... Hosed the car down with warm water (hooked it up to an inside sink) when temp outside 40 degrees. Closed garage door when I was done. (I don't much care about my old concrete garage floor but if you have one of those nice new ones you'll likely wash outside then pull it in).

Looks pretty good. Not drop dead gorgeous but a lot less crud on it. My corrosion fears have somewhat abated.

Only caveat - my car is silver, which hides water spots fairly well. Yours, being dark, may not. But my guess is it's still better than the white haze of corrosive salt.
  • chirpy_yotachirpy_yota Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know what engine RMP it takes to spin the turbo? I read somewhere it was around 2800 revs before the turbo will spin...does that sound right? Or does it always spin above idle, ~1500 rmp, providing continuous low press boost?

Oh, I got rid of the "chirpy toyota" last Friday! That's another board.
  • richardbrichardb Member Posts: 9
    Ordered by me 11/1202, arrived 1/3/03 delivered 1/8/03. Met Silver, charcoal/gray interior so everything will match, Premium, Touring w/grocery bag holder, DSTC ,integrated booster seats. . Delivered with block heater, 2" rear hitch, rubber mats and rear liner. On order, mud flaps, hitch base unit,load basket(replaces HitchHauler for dead deer carry) and possibly picnic table(classy way to go running and eat after!). I had the experience of owning(still do) a 99 XC we purchased new so this was not hard for me. That car has a lot of miles off road hunting, fishing and kayaking. The DSTC with Haldex is a must. The old system was not electronic and therfore DSTC was not available and you would be not smart if you paid all that money and did not take advantage of every safety feature available. That said, the 99XC was extermely capable on road, in mud and deep snow and I never had any feeling of losing control. Since we have no snow in Wisconsin, I need to wait before testing the DSTC. Any other questions? -Dick
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    Can anyone tell me a little about the DSTC option and if it is worth the money. The cost of the option in Canada is $1650 so naturally it's something I need to think about. Since Volvo has now incorporated the excellent Haldex AWD system,is this really a necessary option?
    How do you even test it to see if it really works?

My other question is with regards to the security package. The laminated glass sounds like a good thing to have but I read somewhere,and I don't remember which post but if you get this option,you can not have the dark tint in the side windows. Has anyone heard of this?
    Is this security package worth while or a waste of money?
    Does anyone have it?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    And thanks for your notes. ;-)

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
    DSTC is comprised of really two systems. One senses wheel slip and brakes the slipping wheel to regain traction. the other part senses yaw or sideways slip of the vehicle, braking the wheel or wheels to try to align the vehicle and also retards the engine to stop further slip. You can test in an empty parking lot by trying to induce a spin, it will be very difficult or on a slalom course, DSTC will limit your speed in the slalom to ensure you do not losee control. Contrary to what your dealer may tell you the DSTC button only disables the wheel spin feature not the yaw feature. This is to allow slip when you are stuck. Previously DTSC could not be offered because the AWD system was mechanical. Now that the electronic Haldex system is available, so is DTSC. Afte spending $35KUS on the XC70, it would be pound foolish and penny wise not to have DTSC. That is why I waited until 2003 to purchase another XC70.-Dick
    The turbo is always spining, however it doesn't reach peak efficency until @1800 rpm.
    Peak torque is the same from 1800-5500 rpm.
    Torque is 236 ft-lbs, up from 210 ft-lbs in 2002
    Once again the powers at edmunds have deleted my shared experiences. So let's try this one more time:

I picked up an XC70 last Friday form the local dealer, that was the fastest deal ever, we put most of it together over the phone on Thusday b/c they had the Nautic Blue/Beige interior my wife wanted and I picked it up on Friday on my lunch hour.

(This for those who would like to reference my deal). I leased it, of course (15K mpy, $22k Resid, less than $2K@sign) The price sold to the leasing company was $34,600, invoice was $36,014 MSRP window sticker was $38,670...so I can't complain...the money factor works out to be .0034 Options include: Met Pnt, Booster seats, Prem Pack, Tour Pack. Some great deals can be had on this model with the XC90 out now.

Anyway, here I am a week later it the car looks like "deleted"! More salty brown than Blue!

I took it a local car wash where I could use a high pressure spray gun, it worked great. Make sure you do the under carriage wash and high pressure rinse as well. This wagon comes with an 8 year warrentee against corrosion, so not to worry much here, but it helps to keep it clean.

Also, the clear coat is very soft and will probably take 4 or 5 months to harden up....that is why you should hand wash a new car w/ clear coat very gently...other wise you'll need to buff out all those tiny scratched if you don't...be careful even when you hand wash, that's also why you shouldn't take it a car wash...they will beat it up pretty badly.
    and thanks for sharing your purchase experience and cleaning tips. At a glance, your lease deal looks very good. I'm sure others passing through here will appreciate your detailed notes.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
    Dick, I disagree...respectfully. This wagon weighs 3600lbs...HP is 208 claimed, which translates to maybe a healthy 190'sh when it makes it to the driving wheels...accumulated(mostly up front).

My point is with AWD you will be doing good to get excessive tire spin without DSTC, since AWD will place power where needed...this DSTC is an uneccessary expense IMHO. The wag simply weighs to much and doesn't have the power to spin it's wheels. As for hard steering, again AWD will sense a tire breaking loose (as its momentum and speed increases) and limit the wheel spin. This option is useless on this car, don't waste the $.

Also, thanks for the turbo f/b...that's makes sense that it always spins...low boost press, however.
    I found a great cargo liner for the XC70. check these out if your interested in protecting the cargo mat/carpet with a liner that neatly fits and near perfect color match (I have beige, charcoal and black should match as well)

http://mats4less.com/cariicarlinv.html

Black Only is for the 2000 models and earlier

DSTC consists of four(4) functions.
    1.Traction Control(TC) reduces wheel spin by transferring power from a drive wheel that begins to lose traction to the wheel on the opposite side of the car. TC will also break spinning wheels.
    2.Spin Control(SC) is designed to prevent the drive wheels from spinning while the car is accelerating by reducing engine torque(read power).
    3.Active Yaw Control(AYC) maintains directional stability by braking one or more of the wheels if the car shows a tendancy to skid or if sliding. AYC is not affected if DSTC is switched OFF. I also beleive that it reduces engine power in the event of a slide but this is not mentioned in the owners manual. Every Yaw control system I know of works that way. When going thru a slalom course of pylons with Yaw control it is impossible to go too fast and lose control because of the wheel breaking and reduction of engine power.
    4. Emergency Brake Assistance(EBA) is designed to provide full brake effect immediately in the event of sudden hard braking.
    Switching DSTC OFF only affects SC. EBA is not available without DSTC and is different from Electronic Brake Force Distribution(EBD) which is standard on XC70's.
    My dealer tried to explain the system to me but obviously did not read the Instruction Manual because he tried to tell me that DSTC disabled AYC. Most vehicles even if AYC is disabled switch it ON in the event of a slide. The only vehicle I know of that doesn't is Porsche.
    I hope the above is helpful in deciding whether or not to purchase DSTC.
    My opinion is that you will know if you needed DSTC when you are sitting in a ditch and it is too late. It is one of those things that you will never know you need because you cannot see the results if its works properly. I firmly disagree that it is not needed. A sideways motion(yaw) is DIFFERENT than wheel slip and DSTC helps correct the sideways motion. Also, EBA is NOT available without DSTC. In any case good luck with your new Volvo with or without DSTC!-Dick
    DSTC is no match for a sheet of ice on a curvy road. It will not keep you from slidding into that ditch...period...waste of money and additional weight that may never get used. All other driving conditions will be a peice of cake for the Haldex drive train. DSTC isn't going to mean the difference of introducing your XC to a ditch or hillside...fact. That sounds like something the dealer told you. I've owned cars with TC, they just are'nt worth the weight and cost penalty on an AWD system, especially on one of the best that can be had.
  • scootertxscootertx Member Posts: 1
    I should be on a Volvo commercial! My business vehicle is a 2001 XC Wagon--I put 50K a year on it and haul handicapped equipment across the state of Texas. through the throws of the El Paso Mountains, to Driving nuts out 120 MPH across the west texas Highways--to hurdling through Dallas and/or Houston traffic--to having the compliment of having the valet park a STATION WAGON next to a row of BMW's and Mercedes at my favorite weekend Austin Bistro, the XC70 wagon is truly a superstar IMO. At a young age of 31, I am still getting ooh's and aah's from my fellow bachelor friends on the styling and sophistication of the "rugged individualism" my Volvo offers. From Roadtrips to Hunt Pheasant, to trips to Home Depot--the Wagon is the choice of vehicle when it comes time to go.

I'm deciding whether or not to replace it with another Wagon, or go with the SUV 90 model. Hands down, the XC70! The seats in the SUV are lousy, the SUV was noiser at hwy. speeds and the supposed handling improvements are nonexistent. Plus--instead of waiting 3 months for delivery, I can get a wagon for near invoice price PLUS a free trip to Sweeden or Niece to go pick it up. I drive vehicles hard and I can attest the Volvo XC 70 is one of the finest I've owned. It's very hard to find a car today that can go 50K trouble free miles and be such a joy to drive (and work out of).
  • skigleeskiglee Member Posts: 1
    I was backing up a slight hill (2000 v70XC) on ice and my front wheels starting spinning. My rear wheels did nothing. I expected the rear wheels would engage (if not why have AWD?)to pull me out. Looking at my dash the Traction control light never indicated it was assisting. Is this a Volvo AWD design problem or is my car in need of a check? After putting the car in winter mode and a push it got out of the icy spot.
    One thing I learned when I leased the '03 XC70 is that the new AWD drive is electronically controlled, whereas the previous modles had a mechanical engagement system requiring the wheel to be in motion for the system to work properly, I don't think there is anything wrong with your 70XC. For example my neighbor has an '00 Audi A6 with the same type of AWD drive system. He pulled up tot he edge of the drive way to talk to me and came to a stop. There was quite a bit of ice and snow covering the entry to his drive that is up hill. So, from a stand still he hit the gas and the front wheels just spun...no forward car movement at all! He had to back up intot the street and get a running start, and I could tell the rear wheels engaged and the car climed the hill with no problem. I think for the rear wheels to engage you need momentum.

Oh yeah, TC is useless on this wagon...keep it off!
  • mflowers2mflowers2 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a XC70. I was wondering if anyone on this list has had experiance with the Pet and cargo barrier and the dog gate attachment. I have dobermans and need to know if the pet barriers are strongly secured to the floor and that the front dog gate is secured tightly as well. anyone have experiance with these accessories?

Thank you,
    Meg
  • pgruderpgruder Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001XC with 47,000mi which we have taken very good care of but which we have had a number of problems with. Each problem has been an annoyance but the dealer has been able to fix each problem except for this one. We are getting very cold air on the driver's side on the floor, right where your foot sits on the accelerator. It's extremely drafty when you travel the highway at 60+mph and in this freezing cold weather it makes for very uncomfortable driving. They have re calibrated the damper(or vent),replaced a broken arm on something that I can't remember that was supposed to solve the problem, replaced the seals and even removed the dashboard to replace a seal. The last attempt to fix the problem, they replaced the heating box(whatever that is)and when we picked up the car(which they had this time for 2wks)today and drove it home, the problem was still there. We have contacted Volvo Customer Svc 4 times, but they are not helpful at all. The Volvo rep has been down to fix the car the last 3 times we brought it in but it's obvious he doesn't know what to do anymore. My husband spoke to someone in their NJ headquarters today when he tried to reach Vic Doolan(Pres of Volvo NA) in order to get some help and he called the owner of the dealership, hoping to get some assistance. So far, we still have a car that is awful to drive in the cold because of this problem. Any ideas from anyone?
  • petehumepetehume Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy an XC70 to replace my current Volvo, and I am trying to get an idea what people are paying for them. How much over or under MSRP are most people paying? I am looking to go with just the premium package, and if anyone can give the cost they paid for a similar configuration as well, that would be excellent.
    Have you have a chance to plug your XC70, and options, into Edmunds' TMV (True Market Value) Pricing Tools? This will give you the average cost others are paying in your region. Also, please note: TMV pricing does not take into account Manufacturer-to-Consumer rebates. So be sure to check Edmunds' Incentives and Rebates section to see if what kind of manufacturer consumer discounts are available in your area.

Others here may have more to add.... Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    Pete, Follow the Hosts' advice, but also what folks say on this board.

When I leased my 03 XC70, I also looked into what deal I could do if I were to purchase. My Lease deal came in below invoice ($1600, I think), to purchase the vehicle, the dealer could do 2% over invoice.

I'm willing to bet you can have this for invoice or close to it if it's on the lot and near the end of March...end of 1st quarter, hint..hint!

They want to move these vehicles, and they are not due to a slumping and war faced economy...if you have the money and a secure job (or your just plain rich), now is a great time to buy.

Let us know how this works out if you buy soon. Always talk invoice...not MSRP. start with invoice pricing and walk to the door, they will stop you and work with you if March is on the calendar.

good luck, and don't forget to let us know what happened.
  • bozothecbozothec Member Posts: 3
    I'm confused. With AWD, what is the purpose of Trax? We have had a very snowy winter here in New England. I have noticed that my XC which has Gislaved snow tires has a tendency to have the rear end break away when I am starting up from start in moderate snow. Isn't Trax supposed to stop that? If I engage Winter, which is like starting in 3rd gear, I don't experience that.
    Also, does Trax affect my fuel economy?
    Here are a couple articles from Edmunds.com that you may find helpful: What Wheel Drive and Traction Control.

For more feedback on this subject, you may also want to post (copy/paste) your question in our
    AWD, FWD, RWD Wagons discussion. Good luck.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    1. How would you rate the 2.5T motor in terms of NVH?

2. Does the new 2.5T offer a noticeable improvement in performance over the 2.4T?

3. How many years is left in the life cycle of the current body style?

Thanks in advance.
  • chartster2chartster2 Member Posts: 15
    I thought I read a couple of reviews which mentioned that HID headlights was a new option for 2003 but I can't seem to find any mention of it on the Volvo website. Does anybody know for sure?
    I've been around the 5 cyl engines for a numbers of years now and I own a 2002 C70 w/ the 2.3L 5 cyl.
    Overall its a very good motor.
    They are prone to high idling but thats normal.
    vibration levels are as good as any V6 I've come across.
    As the car ages the upper torque mount will need replacing.
    The 2.5T engine is a big improvement over the 2.4T.
    The current XC70 accelerates much better than prior versions.
    Also, passing power is improved.
    The car feels smoother than before.
    The current body has several years left in its lifecycle.
    HID lights, are available for the European Volvos only for 2003.
    The XC90 being the only exception.
    For 2004 HID's will be available on all Volvo's except the S40, V40 and C70 models.
  • chartster2chartster2 Member Posts: 15
    Volvomax, thanks for your reply on my HID question. I have read in other places that the 2004 XC70's should start showing up at dealerships in April. Can anyone confirm?
  • tomc15tomc15 Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this annoyance? When i step on the brake to shift the gear shifter from Park to Drive, i hear a clicking noise, I think it is the brake releasing the shifter but it is quite load and pretty annoying. Anyone else have this problem or just me and I have to take it in to the dealer to get it looked at?
    Probly won't be seen till sometime in May.
    The reason is that there are still 2003's on the lot and on ships bound for the dealers.
    When these cars are gone then the 04's will be out.
    Aside from the availability of HID, what other significant changes are in the works for '04, such as auto-off headlights, maybe? :)
    All Volvo headlights are auto on and off.
    04 changes include,
    Bi-Xenon lights, new 16" wheels, Crytstal Green paint and Ice white paint are new.
    The headlights are auto-off, but the parking and dash lights stay on though, right? What I'm looking for is auto-everything off for the absent-minded souls!
    Just leave the headlight switch in the off or on position and the lights will only come on when you turn the key on and go off when you turn the key off
    excuse me if I sound kind of stupid about this but I don't quite follow, or I must not be reading your posts correctly. Are you saying all lights (head, parking, dash) come on when the engine is running, and go off when the engine is switched off, regardless of whether the light switch is "on" or "off"? Then what's the function of the switch?
    The switch really doesn't have a function.
    Here in the US you can switch the DRL's off and then you have to turn the lights on and off manually.
    Now, if you leave the switch in the parking light position, those lights stay on even if the car is off.
    Only in the off and on positions do the headlights and instrument lights come on and off with the ignition.
    One last thing, the high beams won't stay on if the switch is in the off position.
    Basically, you should leave the switch in the on position.
    Interesting, if somewhat complicated system! You know, I asked this with the Volvo reps at the auto show, and after some head-scratching, they couldn't really give me a definitive answer!

If I may trouble you with one other question. Volvo has the home-safe feature which I believe turns on some exterior lights when you press the remote. But I believe this is only when you press a second, separate button on the remote. The unlock button does not do this, right. Does the unlock button at least automatically turn on the interior dome light?

Thanks again for being so helpful ( and patient).
    Per above post, I meant the "safe approach" feature (when you are coming back to the car).
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    ,on my C70. They only come on in the on position. Heads and tails are always on.
    C70 different from the P2 cars.

The approach lights only come on when the yellow button is pushed on the remote.
    the act of unlocking the car with the remote will trigger the dome lights unless they have been manually shut off.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Then sign the petition at:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/vs4ds100/petition.html
    so far, there are 87 signatures. Add yours and maybe Volvo will build the car. Also join in on the Volvo S100 conversation under Future Vehicles.
    I think the V70 is too small for some people's needs and the V90 could steal sales from the E Class. Volvo is at this point considering building the V90.
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    Didn't volvo used to make a volvo S90/V90 series sedan/wagon? I believe its last year was 1998, and it was replaced by the S80.

Are they considering bringing it back?

AS
    The V70 isn't all that large, so Volvo needs a full-size wagon.
    Has anyone in Canada bought an '04 XC70 with the Sport Package? Just wondering if you could opt to stick with the Tellus wheel in place of the Xenia that comes with the Sport Pack.
This discussion has been closed.